Which 4 players from our premiership team (2007-2011) would you pick to be in our current team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you pick?? I have it a go in my head and found it tough.

I love the idea of a premiership defense, so settled on enright, Scarlett, Johnson and ablett jnr. But I think there is a huge debate for almost anyone in that team and my next cab off the rank would be a toss up between bartel and ottens

Give your thoughts to this hypothetical scenario
Do we replace 4 of the current team to fit these 4 in?

Here's another difficult question...rank the following group of players in order of quality:

Stokes
Varcoe
Byrnes
Stengle
Miers
Close

:think:

Here's another difficult question...rank the following group of players in order of quality:

Stokes
Varcoe
Byrnes
Stengle
Miers
Close

Agreed, very difficult.
Stengle’s 22 season was the single best of all .
Varcoe was my favourite of those.
Close’s best is very important
Stokes had some great seasons as a small forward and a mid
Miers is developing into a very good consistent player.
Byrnes was also effective as an opportunist.

Taking into account longevity

Varcoe
Stokes
Stengle
Close
Miers
Byrnes

Last edited:
Having unlocked forward movement... very true. I wonder if Hawkins is wondering ..what might have been if we had played a little more like this earlier... then again.. he did not have the players to share the load.

I agree on SJ. Such an instinctive talented player and just like JC..he could amaze with the instinctive awareness of where the goals were. Would add an unfair level to our forwardline.

SJ's best was amazing... but he did have the tendency to attempt things beyond even his skill level now and again.

Stokes
Varcoe
Byrnes
Stengle
Miers
Close

Geez this is super tough, there's talent vs longevity, cleverness vs workmanship etc

I'll go...

Varcoe
Close
Stokes
Miers
Stengle
Byrnes

IMO the top 3 are set in stone, in whatever order you want them, I went Close over Stokes purely down to his brilliant IQ and ability to create with knock ons and deft touches whereas Stokes was slightly more workman like, but it's very close.
Stengle down infront of Byrnes purely because of games played, in 3 years time he could go below Varcoe (who IMO was a star).
Miers has the chance to go above Stokes there too I reckon.

Ottens No contest.
Chappie for some mongrel..
Joel Corey for running and midfield grunt
GAJ how could you leave him out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez this is super tough, there's talent vs longevity, cleverness vs workmanship etc

I'll go...

Varcoe
Close
Stokes
Miers
Stengle
Byrnes

IMO the top 3 are set in stone, in whatever order you want them, I went Close over Stokes purely down to his brilliant IQ and ability to create with knock ons and deft touches whereas Stokes was slightly more workman like, but it's very close.
Stengle down infront of Byrnes purely because of games played, in 3 years time he could go below Varcoe (who IMO was a star).
Miers has the chance to go above Stokes there too I reckon.
Stokes
Miers
Close
Stengle
Varcoe
Byrnes

For our current team and gamestyle I would pick 1 player for each part of the field
Gaz Jnr (best mid of the last 30 years, no brainer)
Ottens (imagine him and Blicavs as a tandem and then Ottens dropping forward)
Scarlett (a back 6 of Stewart, Scarlo, Bews, SDK, Duncan and Tuohy would be untouchable)
Varcoe (pace on the wing and a massive tank. Plus loves an opening GF goal.)

Most of them - the 2007-2011 team was full of bone fide A-graders. Look at the mid-field alone. The only ones from 2023 I'd include would be Dangerfiled, Cameron, Tom Stewart and Isac Smith.

Hawkins, Duncan and Selwood played in 2011.

Most of them - the 2007-2011 team was full of bone fide A-graders. Look at the mid-field alone. The only ones from 2023 I'd include would be Dangerfiled, Cameron, Tom Stewart and Isac Smith.

Hawkins, Duncan and Selwood played in 2011.
Not too sure who you’d replace to fit Stewart in the team tbh as great as he is

Harley yes maybe you have to consider the leadership same with Stewart

Mackie is/was criminally underrated always played bigger than what he was and a very good kick
I don't underrate Mackie, he was excellent, and after looking at the Geelong teams from 07-11 I now lean towards Stewart in for either Hunt or Harley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back