Which 4 players from our premiership team (2007-2011) would you pick to be in our current team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shannon Byrnes
Trent West
Josh Hunt
Mark Blake

Let’s go easy on the competition..

Paul Chapman being seriously neglected in this thread

I'm trying consider, 2 elements when making a selection. Our current game plan, and how players from those teams would add to it.

I settled on,
  • Scarlett
  • Ottens
  • Ablett
  • Enright

I really wanted to include Bartel, but Enright pipped him because an elite small defender would make a bigger difference given our style of play.

The best 22:

FB: Kolo SDK Scarlett
HB: Enright Stewart Z Guthrie
C: Holmes Blitz Smith
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: Rohan Hawkins Stengle
Foll: Ottens Danger Ablett
B: C Guthrie Atkins J Henry Duncan
Imagine trying to contain that defensive rebound each week… what a nightmare.

Reminds me just how insanely good our premiership defense was as well

I wonder how many of the current team would get a game in the 07-11 team?

but ... Are we talking the best years of 07 thru 11? Then selection probably should be the B&F winners GAjr , JSelwood , JCorey and CEnright.

Love to find a spot for Dasher, Rooke, Milburn etc .. as they gave mongrel and grunt...

but if we to pick on who we could add to strengthen a probable weakness to the 2023 side .. .

... has to start with Ottens. The obvious weakness ..even though what Blitz adds is unicorn like.

Scott would love the way Corey ran out games and could be offensive and defensive (never forget the smother)

SJ gets a game in front of Henry or Rohan ..such a big game player

and ... I still want to add about five. ..but its impossible not to add Ablett , especially at the age of our key mids like Danger. GA29 would be 23 thru 28 in this period ..just before he went Gold Coast crazy.

(Cant believe I cant find a spot for two 44's in the backline, or Scarlett at FB..)

It’s so hard to enjoy what we’ve got but when it’s gone we miss it. We’ll never have a team like those years I’d love to be back watching that team play.
But we’re so lucky to have seen another flag last year and have a team competing again.

The current team is a very fun team to watch, our scoring ability is so powerful.
Selwood, Chapman, Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Corey, Enright all very unlucky.

The 4 I’d have to go with are like most Ablett, Scarlett, Stevie J and Ottens.
Probably influenced by Selwood only just retiring otherwise I’d have to put him in there. But peak Ablett and Scarlett would transform this team or any team. Scarlett was a phenomenal player and we missed so much of Ablett at his peak, he’d thrive with the work of Blicavs, Atkins etc around him.

The trials of Geelong rucks should be an espn 30 for 30 show. We’ve had amazing players, won flags and been a top team for decades yet we’ve only really had 3 good rucks in that time, King, Ottens and Damien Burke.
Ottens and Blicavs would be a great combo.

Stevie J with Jezza, Hawkins, Stengle, close and the gang magic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ottens for sure, considering our Rucks.
I'd have a fit Selwood and GAJ in their prime. Then push Holmes, Smith, Duncan, Knevitt to wings in rotations.
Does Blicavs have Corey covered probably? If so, then Scarlett. Could do with another toe pock in a GF.

It’s so hard to enjoy what we’ve got but when it’s gone we miss it. We’ll never have a team like those years I’d love to be back watching that team play.
But we’re so lucky to have seen another flag last year and have a team competing again.

The current team is a very fun team to watch, our scoring ability is so powerful.
Selwood, Chapman, Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Corey, Enright all very unlucky.

The 4 I’d have to go with are like most Ablett, Scarlett, Stevie J and Ottens.
Probably influenced by Selwood only just retiring otherwise I’d have to put him in there. But peak Ablett and Scarlett would transform this team or any team. Scarlett was a phenomenal player and we missed so much of Ablett at his peak, he’d thrive with the work of Blicavs, Atkins etc around him.

The trials of Geelong rucks should be an espn 30 for 30 show. We’ve had amazing players, won flags and been a top team for decades yet we’ve only really had 3 good rucks in that time, King, Ottens and Damien Burke.
Ottens and Blicavs would be a great combo.

Stevie J with Jezza, Hawkins, Stengle, close and the gang magic.

Having unlocked forward movement... very true. I wonder if Hawkins is wondering ..what might have been if we had played a little more like this earlier... then again.. he did not have the players to share the load.

I agree on SJ. Such an instinctive talented player and just like JC..he could amaze with the instinctive awareness of where the goals were. Would add an unfair level to our forwardline.

Homer Drool GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back