2007, 2009, 2011, 2022 - which flag was most memorable for you

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 for me.
I'd been there at the G for that euphoria in 07.
Then again in 08 to learn that euphoria has a cruel and evil twin.
But in 2009, it was the only time I watched the GF back "home" in G-town - on the big screen at KP - and it was the most memorable because of it.
Something about sharing that win not just with family and friends, but also with the community, those in that one-team-town not lucky enough to have tickets.
Something about the camaraderie, about how bloody deep the side needed to dig to win that one.
Something about needing to draw on the pain, to remember the fickleness of the loss of 08 - still raw - to re-write the history books. To beat one of the great teams: an almost unbeatable team.
Finally something about Max Rooke. It's not Chappy or the toe-poke that I recall appreciating in the moment, nor Max's first or last goal of the game, but that scrappy soccered rushed behind in the 4th. It was the game boiled down to a single moment. An opportunity. Not much of one. Not pretty. But when he forced the ball over the goal line, I thought of Jimmy Bartel's point to down the hawks earlier that year. Frayed nerves turned to calm. I distinctly remember that moment, my whole emotional perspective on the game changed. No longer, "could we lose it 2 years running..", but "here we are - this is the lead and so long as Max Rooke is out there, we are NOT going to give it up".
It was true. We weren't.
The streets of Geelong never seemed more like home that afternoon.

That 2005 swans loss was soul destroying I nearly threw my tv out the window the closest I’ve ever come to displaying anger at a loss

That was my Prodigal Son game - I'd given up following the game, as my mental strength just couldn't handle anymore. Dames and booze were better options...then I found myself in a bar, side-glancing the small TV in the corner, slowing getting drawn back to my true love. As Moons walked off the SCG in tears, I vowed never to be unfaithful again.

This. I thought Hawthorn got lucky against us in in 2008 and we pinched it the next year
I don’t think saying we pinched it is fair on the boys at all. We were a supreme team with a deeper list than St Kilda. St Kilda were an extremely good side but were unfortunate to come up against a side who tasted heartbreak the year before. I don’t think we win 09 without losing 08, but it doesn’t mean we pinched it.

For me, I was a kid when we lost all the 90s GF, I lived through the incredible years of 07-11 and attended all the grand finals. 07 was a joy, I couldn’t relax and enjoy it until the end, 09 was the best live game experience, edge of your seat thrill ride you’ll ever see! And vindicated Chapman’s words, fitting he kicked the winner and won the Norm Smith. 2011 was wonderful, a tough game of ebs and flows and the coming of age of Hawkins.

But I love 2022 the best. I got smashed with my cousin at the ground after we kicked the first three in the third! It was vindication for a talented team that always shows up and refuses to compromise to the status quo. A team that defied the doubters, a team that truly deserved to win. It restored my faith in a lot of things and made me believe again. It was the most complete and mature celebration I’ve seen. And for once, the good guys won

I don’t think saying we pinched it is fair on the boys at all. We were a supreme team with a deeper list than St Kilda. St Kilda were an extremely good side but were unfortunate to come up against a side who tasted heartbreak the year before. I don’t think we win 09 without losing 08, but it doesn’t mean we pinched it.
People forget how injury interrupted our 2009 season was. We had multiple AA stars miss chunks of the season and were relatively underdone come finals (Ottens and SJ). Where as the Saints were virtually injury free throughout. Had we had a similar injury-free run we would have lodged a similar win/loss to 2008.

People forget how injury interrupted our 2009 season was. We had multiple AA stars miss chunks of the season and were relatively underdone come finals (Ottens and SJ). Where as the Saints were virtually injury free throughout. Had we had a similar injury-free run we would have lodged a similar win/loss to 2008.
Don't forget that Round 14 "match of the millenium" between us and the Saints, both coming in at 13-0. Lost a real close one on their home deck. We were every bit their equal that year.

Don't forget that Round 14 "match of the millenium" between us and the Saints, both coming in at 13-0. Lost a real close one on their home deck. We were every bit their equal that year.
Slightly off topic but this is a reason why I get annoyed when we’re not included in the greatest ‘dynasties’ because we didn’t win consecutive flags. We clearly had two of the toughest and most dominant opponents in the Saints and the Pies. Definitely deserve to be in the conversation.

Slightly off topic but this is a reason why I get annoyed when we’re not included in the greatest ‘dynasties’ because we didn’t win consecutive flags. We clearly had two of the toughest and most dominant opponents in the Saints and the Pies. Definitely deserve to be in the conversation.
Good point. There was the 21-1 Cats of '08, Saints were 20-2 in 2009, Pies 17-4-1 but they lost just two games in a period of almost 40 rounds in 2010-11, and they also were 20-2 in 2011 with the Cats 19-3. Aside from the Bombers in 2000 with 21-1, and Carlton 1995 with 20-2 no other sides have won 20 H & A games. Those sides straddling the 2010's were elite teams.

Good point. There was the 21-1 Cats of '08, Saints were 20-2 in 2009, Pies 17-4-1 but they lost just two games in a period of almost 40 rounds in 2010-11, and they also were 20-2 in 2011 with the Cats 19-3. Aside from the Bombers in 2000 with 21-1, and Carlton 1995 with 20-2 no other sides have won 20 H & A games. Those sides straddling the 2010's were elite teams.
You have to feel for Stk - and dont forget in 2009 they won their 1st 19 games straight - an outstanding performance

You contrast that to Adel - both their flags paltry 13-9 records - we all know what happened in 97 - them getting that home final i think if the Tiger supporters got something like that happen to them - then i would start believing their conspiracy theories

But 1998 was even worse 13-9 record - finish 5th - Melb flog them by 8 goals - but they get a 2nd chance - they simply then had to win 3 games ( exactly what the Saints had to do in 09 - but they had 20 wins on the board) and they are the champs . To me 1998 was just a total farce - an utter disgrace - and if ever a Premiership should be ruled null and void - then that is the one - in fact the 98 premiership cup should be thrown out with Thursdays rubbish

So StK havent got a Premiership - yet Adelaide under a farcical unfair system have got 2 - its just wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add to that the Bulldogs who at one point in 08 were 13-1-1 for the season! Another team that probably gets a flag in any other era

2007 just for seeing a flag I thought I'd never see.

On a personal note though 2009 was awesome fun. I was at the Slug in Fulham wearing Chappy's 35. Back then Chappy and I looked very alike so when he won the Norm people just started buying me beers. So much fun.

2022 and 2011 for re-watchability. 2009 was a slog with the toe tap the only real highlight. 2007 is a bit dull and is also ruined by Robert Walls commentating.

You have to feel for Stk - and dont forget in 2009 they won their 1st 19 games straight - an outstanding performance

You contrast that to Adel - both their flags paltry 13-9 records - we all know what happened in 97 - them getting that home final i think if the Tiger supporters got something like that happen to them - then i would start believing their conspiracy theories

But 1998 was even worse 13-9 record - finish 5th - Melb flog them by 8 goals - but they get a 2nd chance - they simply then had to win 3 games ( exactly what the Saints had to do in 09 - but they had 20 wins on the board) and they are the champs . To me 1998 was just a total farce - an utter disgrace - and if ever a Premiership should be ruled null and void - then that is the one - in fact the 98 premiership cup should be thrown out with Thursdays rubbish

So StK havent got a Premiership - yet Adelaide under a farcical unfair system have got 2 - its just wrong
Why then could not StK or NM beat them in the GF's?
I went to the Crows NM GF, loved it. Relaxing to watch a GF where there was no investment in either team, though I hated NM back then, so was hoping Adelaide...Awesome displays by Jarman and Macleod, also good were Robram, Smart and Rehn iirc.

2007 was the best for me I also won a good amount of money on Stevie J and was just out of school, so it seemed like even more haha.

2009 was amazing for me as 2008 hurt so much, it was so good to see our club become a dynasty type team 3 grand finals in 3 years and winning 2.

2022 this was amazing because of my own lack of faith at the start of the season, I said we would need at least 100 goals out of tomahawk and Cameron so saying that is unlikely ! Then they did it for us, just an amazing finals series as well.

2011 beautiful game and some huge performances and against a side very one loves to beat but somehow hold it less close than than the other 3.

I forgot how bad a day 1989 Grand final was u19s we lost by 1 point was a Prelim as draw week before, we lost to Fitzroy in reserves Grand Final by 2 points after Paul Brown missed a goal 10 meters out with 19 seconds to go that would have won us the GF...then the first lost by 6 points....prick of a day

I forgot how bad a day 1989 Grand final was u19s we lost by 1 point was a Prelim as draw week before, we lost to Fitzroy in reserves Grand Final by 2 points after Paul Brown missed a goal 10 meters out with 19 seconds to go that would have won us the GF...then the first lost by 6 points....prick of a day
was there for all 3- absolute prick of a day GFC wise- at least I did not pay. Borrowed a mates MCC membership, back in the days of no photo ID, just had to learn his signature.

Just on that day, does anyone recall the victorious Ashes Aus Cricket team were paraded around the ground. My hero S Waugh was so mesmerised by the great G Ablett that he took on #5 on his one-day gear.

Last edited:
Curious. Does anyone still watch these games?
I’ve watched some bits of them, sometimes after discussions to clear things up, or to see if some elements were as remembered being at most of them

94 GF first quarter (and only the first quarter) was pretty good on rewatch. 92 GF was going really well for a period. 95 GF was terrible from start to finish to never bothered with that one.

Anyway, 2022 is now probably my favourite. Immense satisfaction after recent years of frustration and being so close, and so pleased for the skipper to go out on a high. He’s my favourite of all time. Michael Turner as a really young fella, Ablett as a teen, but I now have Joel on top.

Curious. Does anyone still watch these games?
89 GF sometimes... its a brutal and hard game with so much brilliance on both sides.

Ill watch us lose that game 10 times before any other loss...

I have respect for that Hawks team

And then ill flush it out with a good 7,9,11,22 marathon

Go Catters

I think 07 was my most memorable, after having to sit through 89/92/94/95 I was certain this club just couldn't win a flag, and I was struggling during the 07 PF thinking we would throw away another golden chance.
2022 gives me a LOT of happiness after we have thrown away a lot of great chances from 2012 to 2021 to win premierships and haven't.

Bizarrely, I think it's a bit like pain.
Identical injuries or operations now and previously- most people will say current pain is worse than what they had in the past.

Each flag was orgasmic for me at the time for very different reasons.

FINALLY- 07
SHEER RELIEF -09
VINDICATION -11
SIMPLY THE BEST -22

Problem is, it's such a good feeling, we want an encore. I know that's greedy, but we have about a year left to consolidate with the ageing stars we have.

I know we were so dominant in 07, but the home loss v Port was annoying.
Saints and Pies were excellent oppositions for us in 09 &11, so the merit in beating them is a standout too.
The 22 season, with 16 wins on the trot, that was supreme.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back