Which 4 players from our premiership team (2007-2011) would you pick to be in our current team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good though our team was last year it may have struggled to beat the Saints of 2009 or the Pies in 2011.

In any event even the likes of Milburn and Stokes would have walked in to our 2023 team, let alone every mid-fielder and Ottens/King.

Harley in his prime was very good and replaces Zac Guthrie and Hunt and James Kelly were both better than Bews.

Oh for a Bartel, Ling, Chapman, Corey, Varcoe, Stevie J, young Gazza or Stokes to stand the centre bounce with Ottens..

And then there is Max Rooke.

In fact if you think about this too long you start wondering how we won last year ha ha.

Here's another difficult question...rank the following group of players in order of quality:

Stokes
Varcoe
Byrnes
Stengle
Miers
Close

:think:

Byrnes an easy selection as last of that group for me but the rest of them are tough to rank.

Miers
Stengle
Close
Varcoe
Stokes
Byrnes

Stokes from memory saved us in a preliminary with multiple goals.

Varcoe in the last quarter of the 2009 gf was the only one, along with Ablett that seemed to have any run left in him, was super important and of course 2011.

Miers has developed into a player that I didn't think existed.

I really like how Close plays and what he brings.

Stengle was the super year last year, let's see whether or not it was a flash in the pan.

Shagger, a great club man.

SJ's best was amazing... but he did have the tendency to attempt things beyond even his skill level now and again.

SJ was probably worst on ground in the 2009 gf, but when it mattered most he executed that lateral kick to Scarlett which resulted in the toe poke and the rest is history. At that stage of the game he'd be the only one of the ground that would have imagined that kick let alone pulled it off. A NSM in 2007 and 4 goals in 2021 on one leg. Has there ever been a better one, two punch as a combination than SJ and Chappy at their peaks in the roles they filled as small/medium forwards?

I may have answered the question the wrong way round,

Anyway very few of the 2023 team would survive if the 2007-2011 were available - Cameron, Danger, Stewart and maybe Smith.

Shagger Byrnes was very important in the last quarter v the Saints in 2009. But he's behind the other mids of that era and Dangerfield.

Stevie J was 3 times as good as Mieirs; for one thing he kicked a lot of goals. He played hurt in 2009 against a tough opponent.

Stengle was phenomenal last year but started this year very quietly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back