2007, 2009, 2011, 2022 - which flag was most memorable for you

Remove this Banner Ad

2007 was like beating the snot out of the school bully after years of torment, it was beautiful and terrible to watch. 09/11 were both excellent but after 07 there was an air of expectation that success would follow success. 2022 was like being the old dog that had learned new tricks, the flag was satisfying but the upset it appeared to cause other fans was almost more satisfying.

2007 by the proverbial country mile - not so much as the match itself, 2009 and 2011 were clearly better but just the release of that 2007 GF. Guru Bob once said something along the lines of "There are people whose fate is to be forever frustrated and teased by potential never to have that potential realised, for them, Krishna has given the Geelong Football Club" - well that ended in 2007. Losing prelims in 1980/81, numerous grand final losses from 89 - 95. Watching out and out stars like Ablett, Bairstow, Couch etc not get the fate they deserved makes for a supporter mantra of "maybe next year" - 2007 was that next year. Watching that fateful day was transformative as a long-term supporter for whom premiership success was something other clubs achieved.

Of the 4, the one I find almost gruelling and hard to enjoy is 2009. A tough hard slog.

Agree with Jim Boy on 2007. I had come to think it would never happen.

For pure football, it's 2011. I think it's one of the great GFs actually - a very high skilled affair with 2 very good teams going toe to toe with Pies only breaking last qtr

In order

07 - I lived my whole life thinking I'd never see Geelong win one after being at 4 losing grand finals. I'll never forget the feeling after the siren sounded and we were crowned premiers.

22 - we'd been written off as too old, too slow ... Finals chokers. We finally got the monkey off the back after 11 years of being around the mark

11 - all I heard that year from my Collingwood mates were everyone was playing for 2nd. Yes, I told them all about it ... For 12 months.

09 - crap weather, snuck over the line.

2007 because it is the only grand final I've been to and I sat near the infamous Ottens chase down. Followed by 2022. Not so much the game itself but the amount of lulz it has produced has been very entertaining :grinv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007 football perfection.

2011 the best gf skill wise from both teams that I can think of

2022 pig headed Scott finally changed his ways after so many years or not doing it. Selwood and Danger managed to perfection, hopefully a blueprint for our other veterans moving forward. Since the introduction of the 3rd man up rule, they finally worked out a system to best utilise Blicavs physical attributes (not as a bloody full time defender) and at the same time Stanley too. A coaching masterclass for the season. Hats off to Scott.

2009 the only one I actually attended and for whatever reason, despite the win, I've never really warmed to the game.

2007. Wasn't sure id even see Geelong win a flag. The euphoria and how it played at was all new and unknown, the celebrations in Geelong were all a surprise. After that there's been elements of expectation, not just in the club but in how winning and celebrating transpires.

09,11,22 all different but probably equal. I feel that they were all "satisfying/vindicating" where as 07 was.....pure ecstacy/meeting destiny we all hoped for...there isn't the right adjective.

They are all special in their own way

07 - Relief in total domination. Born in 73 and seen all the near misses - to finally see one in such a powerful fashion... the tears were real.

09 - The hardest. Needed to dig deep and then deep again and still needed a toe poke - and reminder of how good we were after 08.

11 - The regeneration - Bomber and GAJ out and CS and another flag in. Given no chance but did it anyway.

22 - Vindication thru total domination - Too Old, Too Slow... too ******* good. Oldest team that literally no one gave a chance 12 months before after a 83 point PF defeat. Total vindication of Coach, Players, Medical Staff, List managers, Club and those who stood tall thru the 10 year gap.

GO Catters

2007 - easily the most memorable

2022 - reward for a decade of competing at highest level

2011 - Loved the last quarter with Hawkins.

2009 - Lower rank as preferred we won ‘08 and then lost ‘09

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back