Opinion Who would you like to beat the most in a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Once scumbag Milne left the club I'm all for them
In a perfect world if Geelong can't win it, I'd take the likes of Footscray, Norf, Freo, Port and St Kilda over most of the alternatives.

I don't even really like any of their clubs, but when the minnows win it it feels like nobody's won it, and if it's not Geelong walking away with the cup then that's the best alternative.

I personally don't care. Every Grand Final is a grudge match.
A flag is a flag, regardless of who one may beat.

I hated West Coast back in the 90s and wanted them to die. Now, I look back objectively and accept that they were the better team on the day(s)

The worst Grand Final loss was 2008 though. I was angry that day because the team did not perform when it mattered, despite dominating all season.
At the time, I would have loved to get the opportunity to beat them in a finals match
However, 2011's Qualifying Final was ultimately the Premiership. I thought the winner of that match would be the premier. Collingwood were losing momentum entering the finals - as Geelong did in 2008.

The last thing I ever want to be is one of those w***er supporters who thinks their opinion bears greater relevance because their team is successful, and that success is a license to act like a complete ********.
With success comes a responsibility. I consider that more important than who you beat.

Once scumbag Milne left the club I'm all for them
I'm not.

Most clubs have earned respect at some point in their history
St Kilda are a joke. They don't deserve a flag just because they have a drought. They have a drought for a reason - because their club sucks and they've made bad decision after bad decision time and time again

Going back to Ross Lyon is a huge mistake. Ross Lyon is like the alien race on Independence Day. He comes in, sucks up all resources, then leaves the place in a state of disrepair. The most boring gameplan I have ever seen.

F*** 'em

Have to be the Hawks by a country mile.

Richmond got everything right for their little window and squeezed every last drop out of it. Kudos to them, but won't be surprised if it's back to irrelevancy now. That they knocked us off in finals a few times - some 6+ years after our "prime" - and gloated to the high heavens is more amusing than anything else (and really, only 2019 was a missed opportunity).

Hawthorn are a proven champion team and have been for a long time. What's more relevant is they've been our modern rival for decades. While Richmond was having their butt handed to them on a plate by us in 1995 and heading back off into obscurity for another few years, THE modern rivalry had already kicked off 6 years earlier.

I hate Hawthorn but respect what they've done immensely. What's more, over the last 20 odd years we've started our own culture of constantly competing and never being down for long. I hope both clubs can keep the fires burning for decades to come.

After that, well... it'd be fun to knock off Brisbane in a GF, just because I live up here.

I am not sure whether I would like to beat the Dawks by 1 point with a kick on the siren, or by 100+ plus points.
Although the former would probably give me a heart attack.

I am not sure whether I would like to beat the Dawks by 1 point with a kick on the siren, or by 100+ plus points.
Although the former would probably give me a heart attack.

What robs a fanbase more than a years worth of memories gone in an instant

My first two GF's live were 92 & 94 so to beat the Eagles is very high on my list - added bonus would be bragging rights over here with their entitled supporter base ;)
Next would be the old foe - Hawks - 89 & 2008 need to be avenged !!
Just realised I've become a grumpy old man ..............

I don't think that dream will ever be realised :(
Nevertheless, you know you're supporting a great club when the question isn't "When are we going to win a single GF?" - and rather "Who do we want to win the GF against most?"

It's just accepted that another one won't be too far away, it just depends on who it's against. Most clubs don't get that luxury.

Same with the back-to-back question. You know you're going well when the question is will you ever go back-to-back again, rather than just winning premierships in close succession.

Most supporters are just craving a finals appearance, or being able to experience the buildup of GF week when your teams actually in it.

We forget how lucky we are sometimes, as these have just become forgone conclusions for us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first thought was Hawks but I think deep down, it’s GC. They’ve been given everything including one of the best Geelong players of all time and still accomplished nothing.

My first thought was Hawks but I think deep down, it’s GC. They’ve been given everything including one of the best Geelong players of all time and still accomplished nothing.
Really? I feel like a premiership against the GCS wouldn't even feel like a premiership.

If we were going to pick a club to LOSE a GF to, then they'd be pretty high on my list tbh. It would be like it didn't even happen.

While you're right that they've been handed everything, they're still just a plastic franchise. No culture, no lore, no icons, no...well..anything.

It's a decent leg-up that they've got, but they're in the Bermuda triangle of Australian Sport up there.

It's literally never worked, and the overdose of support they've gotten is probably required to get any sort of traction. It's no wonder they've sunk so much money into it.

On the premiership though, we wouldn't even have the wood over their supporters, or be able to win petty s**tfights on sites like these, as they don't have any.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for seeing the little guy get off the canvas and win, but I'd love to see the expansion clubs win a few flags.

Helps the growth of the game, and from a selfish POV, it would feel like nobody has won it, and if Geelong aren't walking away with the cup, then that's the next best outcome.

Only downside now is that Dimma's going to get all the credit, which will be nauseating to listen to.

Really? I feel like a premiership against the GCS wouldn't even feel like a premiership.

If we were going to pick a club to LOSE a GF to, then they'd be pretty high on my list tbh. It would be like it didn't even happen.

While you're right that they've been handed everything, they're still just a plastic franchise. No culture, no lore, no icons, no...well..anything.

It's a decent leg-up that they've got, but they're in the Bermuda triangle of Australian Sport up there.

It's literally never worked, and the overdose of support they've gotten is probably required to get any sort of traction. It's no wonder they've sunk so much money into it.

On the premiership though, we wouldn't even have the wood over their supporters, or be able to win petty s**tfights on sites like these, as they don't have any.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for seeing the little guy get off the canvas and win, but I'd love to see the expansion clubs win a few flags.

Helps the growth of the game, and from a selfish POV, it would feel like nobody has won it, and if Geelong aren't walking away with the cup, then that's the next best outcome.

Only downside now is that Dimma's going to get all the credit, which will be nauseating to listen to.
Absolutely nauseating

Yeah losing to Sydney in 2005 was like losing to GC in 2024.

Long drought/new crappy team for years.

Weird non footy people.

AFL/media pumping them up.

At least losing to Hawthorn is losing to a genuine Footy club, you just go "well played"

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah losing to Sydney in 2005 was like losing to GC in 2024.

Long drought/new crappy team for years.

Weird non footy people.

AFL/media pumping them up.

At least losing to Hawthorn is losing to a genuine Footy club, you just go "well played"

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed.

It's a double edged sword though. On one hand it's nice to know that the flag is actually going to people who give a s**t, but on the other it means you'll have w***er supporters holding it over your head for years.

Living in Sydney though, you're bang on. Nobody cares, and being a Cats fan up here, you get no chance to bask in the glory of 2022, as most people wouldn't even know the game was played.

I think GCS are destined to beat Richmond for their first flag.
If that happens then we know the AFL is scripted.

Likewise if Clarko's Roos beat Mitchell's Hawks in a GF in a couple years.

Some of these storylines happen organically (See Joel 2022), but others make you think "Was this all planned from the beginning?"

Carlton or Essendon. Would love to be the ones that closes the door on either teams success. So many dickhead supporters to boot.

North Melbourne...

Them making the finals let alone the grand final would give a level of hope to their fans, and the sense of being relevant again

Beating them in a grand final in a demoralising way could possible destroy all that and see them sink to the bottom of the ladder again...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back