Nothin' Like the 90s - Geelong (part 1): Grand Final heartbreak

Remove this Banner Ad

Except that from 2007-2011 there was no mention at all of it actually being unjust.

Nor was it in 2016, when we rather inconveniently faced a MCG tenant in a Qualifying Final. Who we finished higher on the ladder than. Even more inconvenient was that we won.
Just because we have won some of those games and the issue hasn't been brought up at certain times, doesn't change the fact that the system isn't fair I wouldn't have thought.

I can't think of another team in any sport, which is forced to play their finals (as the higher ranked side) at their opposition's home ground. Can you?

Except that from 2007-2011 there was no mention at all of it actually being unjust.

Nor was it in 2016, when we rather inconveniently faced a MCG tenant in a Qualifying Final. Who we finished higher on the ladder than. Even more inconvenient was that we won.
Of course it was brought up then, on numerous occasions.
But even if it hadn't been, it's still unjust, regardless.

Just because we have won some of those games and the issue hasn't been brought up at certain times, doesn't change the fact that the system isn't fair I wouldn't have thought.

I can't think of another team in any sport, which is forced to play their finals (as the higher ranked side) at their opposition's home ground. Can you?
Imagining that scenario in the NBA playoffs or Champions League/FA Cup ties (i.e the knockout format comps in soccer) is pretty crazy. It's just one of the eccentricities we have to accept, but should rightly have extra pride when a premiership involves beating an MCG tenant on their home turf in our "home" finals. Like Party said, the Collingwood finals wins were all memorable in one way or another for that reason. 2011 we got to dish it out to Hawthorn, too - even if they cleaned up in the rest of them (to be fair to them, twice as the higher ranked side so an irrelevance for those).

As a pies fan, my respect for Geelong has gradually grown for a number of decades, the success you guys have achieved makes you the best club of the 21st century. Both our clubs histories over the past 60 years or so is so similar with a lot of heartache The pies come from a low base in terms of professionalism and culture and that is well documented. I think the cats and tigers set the benchmark there. I'd be surprised in the cats, tigers and don't experience more premiership success over the next 15 years (at least once) and culture will be front n centre of this success. The pies v cats is one of the best modern-day games.

The MCG is different. Sides have been playing finals (and hopefully, Grand finals) at the MCG for over 100 years. Plenty of clubs (and we're one of them) have had tons of big games there - home and away, and finals. It was as recent as 2007 as the club was genuinely excited to play a home game there against Collingwood during home and away, because it gave them big game experience, and also revenue. I can't remember a murmur about "injustice" during 2007-2011 because the club (rightly) had the mindset that we could win anywhere.

To me it only became an "injustice" because we lost to Richmond when most on here arrogantly assumed we were going to effortlessly win. It ramped up immediately after that.

Same.

By the time that decade was done a lot of scarring had been inflicted.

Those that have essentially followed the club since the early 2000's have had a blessed time as a supporter.

Following the team through the wilderness wasn't so enjoyable.

Character building!

Bitter pills to swallow in my adolescence; 1992 in particular really left a scar.

Character building!

Bitter pills to swallow in my adolescence; 1992 in particular really left a scar.

Character building indeed.

It was a terribly lean period in the club's history, and thickened the skin in the face of a lot of failure and jeering.

2007 was such a huge relief, and cause for celebration, for those of us who'd gone through those decades in particular.

To see 4 premierships in 16 years, after nothing in the previous 44 years, is just wild.

It gives you a deeper appreciation of the achievement, and a better understanding of just how narrow a path the club must walk in all aspects of its management.

I think we were robbed in 1997 actually. From memory the first final against the Roos was on a Sunday night too. In the rain which didn’t come until the evening. I was at the game. Carey ate us up. The fact we had to then travel to Adelaide was beyond a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We were robbed IN Adelaide. Colbert's disallowed brilliant mark was iirc a potential 2 goal turnaround
The momentum swing here was massive

In 1989 if we had played the ball in that first quarter instead of the man it might have turned out differently. Late 80s Hawthorn remains at the pinnacle for the best team I've seen. No shame dropping that by a kick.

In 1992 there was no doubt that West Coast were bloody good. But we were five goals up in that game and Matera Dustied us that day. We beat them in Perth that year and that's the one we should have won.

In 1994 West Coast were probably even better than in 1992. I reckon Geelong had a brilliant finals series just to get there. At quarter time we were in the game. But we were the walking wounded and perhaps history is rather unfold of that team. Carlton and North were probably better and we beat both.

1995 was a disaster. We went within a whisker at Princess Park and demolished our finals opponents but our performance that day was insipid. We were lucky not to lose by a hundred. Lucky for us Carlton got the deck chairs out and we bagged a few face savers. Carlton 95 were nowhere near the quality of the other sides rolled us in my book and that one really hurt as we all know.

Then there was 1991 where we edge the Saints and lose two narrow finals in a row. Not even a Granny. 1997 finish second, cop the Roos at night then have to go play at Football Park to a team that finished below us on the ladder. Throw in a non mark call to Colbert...thanks AFL.

Perhaps the real stinger was 1993. We beat every team in the top six (yes younger viewers top six) in the last six games and due to the shortened season we finish 12-8 and don't even make finals. GTFO.

Lady Luck also played its part. I'll go to my catbed in the sky believing that Barry Stoneham could have been up there with Carey if he didn't cop persistent leg injuries that ultimately curtailed his brilliance. Blight also tried to tweak his naturally aggressive style in 1993 and 1994. I believe in 1992/93 our group was at its peak and 1993 in particular might have been interesting if we qualified. Our nemesis the Eagles had a relatively lean year and there were several inexperienced combinations in the finals that year.

I wish I could say I forgotten this "almost" era but unfortunately I remember it all to well. Think I might wait for the next instalment. 😉
1000% agree with all that.

If I could travel back in time have any of those years over again it would be 1993 and 97. Without a doubt 🙁

We were robbed IN Adelaide. Colbert's disallowed brilliant mark was iirc a potential 2 goal turnaround
The momentum swing here was massive
1997 flag can get ****ed. No one won it that year I refuse to recognise it. Ripped off. * you all.

End rant. Breathe

As a pies fan, my respect for Geelong has gradually grown for a number of decades, the success you guys have achieved makes you the best club of the 21st century. Both our clubs histories over the past 60 years or so is so similar with a lot of heartache The pies come from a low base in terms of professionalism and culture and that is well documented. I think the cats and tigers set the benchmark there. I'd be surprised in the cats, tigers and don't experience more premiership success over the next 15 years (at least once) and culture will be front n centre of this success. The pies v cats is one of the best modern-day games.
Geelong's heartache? You are kidding! They got thumped in most of their losing grand finals and were never going to win the 89 despite the endless hype about that high scoring goal fest.

Try playing in 15 grand finals in my lifetime before we win our 16th this year for two wins! Then think about the fact we lost 64 by 4 points, 66 by 1 point, 70 by 10 points after leading by 7 goals, 77 draw after leading by 28 points in the last term, lost 79 by 5 points after leading by 5 goals early on a wet day, lost 81 by 20 points when leading at three quarter time by 9 points, lost 2002 after leading with ten minutes remaining, drew 2010 after leading by 5 goals and having 25 more inside 50's, lost 2018 after leading by 5 goals early and being ahead until the last 90 seconds of the game.

There is no club comes close. That's not mentioning the many prelims we have lost by less than a kick. When other clubs talk of heartbreak I genuinely switch off. They have no idea.

Geelong's heartache? You are kidding! They got thumped in most of their losing grand finals and were never going to win the 89 despite the endless hype about that high scoring goal fest.

Try playing in 15 grand finals in my lifetime before we win our 16th this year for two wins! Then think about the fact we lost 64 by 4 points, 66 by 1 point, 70 by 10 points after leading by 7 goals, 77 draw after leading by 28 points in the last term, lost 79 by 5 points after leading by 5 goals early on a wet day, lost 81 by 20 points when leading at three quarter time by 9 points, lost 2002 after leading with ten minutes remaining, drew 2010 after leading by 5 goals and having 25 more inside 50's, lost 2018 after leading by 5 goals early and being ahead until the last 90 seconds of the game.

There is no club comes close. That's not mentioning the many prelims we have lost by less than a kick. When other clubs talk of heartbreak I genuinely switch off. They have no idea.

Not sure coming onto the Geelong board and telling Geelong supporters that they have no idea about heartache around GF losses etc is going to be well received.

Just sayin'........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point, I've personally been to 8 grand final losses. 1967 was heartache for cats. Great granny

One reason I have always liked Collingwood, empathised with their supporters, and felt we were similar.
I rated Bob Rose as a coach, and those teams were exciting to watch
In 89, we lost 3 GF's on the one day, (technically 2 GF's, the other was a replay prelim, iirc) all less than 6 points; in 67, an 8 point loss; the other losses were not close, but nevertheless multiple losses before 07.

Interesting you say that - like there are rumours and there are rumours to the cows come home

However shortly after that GF i was told by someone re along the lines of what you have posted - that there were 4 Geel players involved - i can remember 2 of the other 3 named - however i didnt know whether to believe the person who told me - and also at the time i just thought surely it couldnt have happened

But then look at one of our coaches - when the rumours were circulating - i thought no this is all bullshiit - but it wasnt bullshiit
What coach was that?

How many players played in all 4 GF losses between 1989 and 1995?

The late great Paul Couch was named in the centre in all 4.

Gary Ablett snr of course.

Billy Brownless.

The great Garry Hocking.

It's an impressive - yet unfulfilled - quartet.

Peter Riccardi played in all 3 brutal 1990s Grand Final losses, as did Tim McGrath, Kenny Hinkley, and John Barnes.

Barnes got his Premiership medal with Essendon; it hurt to watch but he absolutely deserved it; great worker.

Mick Mansfield of course; he played well in a futile kind of way in a couple of those GFs.

Such a glum time for Geelong fans; from 1989 onward we were generally racking up the wins, but with nothing to show for it ... for a loooong time.

The 2007 break through, to me, almost seemed too late, sad to say.

Interesting you say that - like there are rumours and there are rumours to the cows come home

However shortly after that GF i was told by someone re along the lines of what you have posted - that there were 4 Geel players involved - i can remember 2 of the other 3 named - however i didnt know whether to believe the person who told me - and also at the time i just thought surely it couldnt have happened

But then look at one of our coaches - when the rumours were circulating - i thought no this is all bullshiit - but it wasnt bullshiit

Yeah, when you've got players like Barnes and Brownless in your team it's no wonder we underachieved. Never fit enough and even by those standards not even close to professional enough.

Just because it wasn’t mentioned (which is a questionable assertion btw) doesn’t make it not unjust.

We spent decades/centuries as a society not mentioning the unjust treatment of Australia’s indigenous populations, it doesn’t make it less unjust.

No club is as big as Collingwood
No club is as important as collingwood
No club has better fans than collingwood
No club wins like collingwood
No club loses like collingwood
No club celebrates like Collingwood
No club suffers like Collingwood

Feel better now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back