Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mark Blicavs

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I would not be disappointed one bit our starting bounce for 2015 was Selwood, Caddy & GHS.

I know they'll have Johnson in there though which I understand. But I think those three are perfect for when Stevie J gets suspended :D

Then Guthrie would be right behind GHS in guys I would have in starting bounce, as long as he isn't tagging.

We do expect a lot don't we?
Both guys are realistically another year, maybe two years away from doing what most other 75-100 gamers do, and that is play consistent week-to-week football. The very fact one has yet to notch up 40 games, the other 58 games into his career and both still only 22 years of age . . . when we look back at Bartel, Ablett, Johnson, Kelly and co, those blokes were never consistent players until they turned 23/24 yrs and had between 90-110 senor games experience under their belt.

Without doubt.

Our recent flush of success after so many years in the footy wilderness has caused us to forget how hard it is just to climb the mountain, let alone reach the summit.

The last couple of years has given us a gentle reminder, and we should be grateful that we're still in a position to eye the summit and not be sitting in base camp.

Whether we have it in us to make that final assault yet again is the intrigue that keeps us coming back for more.

Right you are again Teriyaki, it possibly effected the rest of his season but nevertheless he was travelling better than most realised throughout 2014 and really only now is beginning to mature.
I think 2014 was the pivotal year that saw him emerge from VFL ranks and play regular senior footy, plenty of upside 2015 I think.

Looking at the poll with Caddy on 24 votes and GHS 1, considering their stats are almost the same, it's a promising thing to have another like George who's thereabout but a little forgotten.
We have excellent developing youth.
I always think of him as a Ling-type character. An honest toiler who knows how to kick a goal. He doesn't need to be quick- we've got a few of that type.

Like you, I'm happy to see him fly under the radar. As Turbocat said, he's only played 32 games- it's onwards and upwards from here!!!

image.jpg

I always think of him as a Ling-type character. An honest toiler who knows how to kick a goal. He doesn't need to be quick- we've got a few of that type.

Like you, I'm happy to see him fly under the radar. As Turbocat said, he's only played 32 games- it's onwards and upwards from here!!!

View attachment 100979

There are a few mids on the upward curve when you also consider Guthrie as Dan McL mentioned,.... why then do we necessarily have to side as the media always seem to speculate?
I'm confident of a promising year ahead if not beset with injuries. Love the little snail climbing uphill.:D

View attachment 100979

He's always struck me as more like a poor man's Glenn Kilpatrick, a journeyman.

33 possessions in a losing team vs Fremantle at Freo says "he must have something" to me all the same Fred! And that from a kid just maturing, I'll take that as a big plus sign in my view any time.
His stats are undeniable that he's one to watch.

Last edited:
bam (we should put you in charge of put downs)!!!:D

that is pretty scathing as kilpatrick was an ordinary footballer in my opinion.
He was no Darren Forssman
:D

I guess that GHS resembles a lot of players. There have been thousands of them over the years. I've never watched Kilpatrick play, so have no idea what you see in GHS that reminds you of GK.
As for "journeyman"- give a journeyman enough experience and perhaps he will become a Master- perhaps not.
We'll just have to wait and see, like with so many of our young players.

I guess that GHS resembles a lot of players. There have been thousands of them over the years. I've never watched Kilpatrick play, so have no idea what you see in GHS that reminds you of GK.
As for "journeyman"- give a journeyman enough experience and perhaps he will become a Master- perhaps not.
We'll just have to wait and see, like with so many of our young players.

Touche!...The prevailing numbers are on our side and suggest he may not be just a journeyman!

Last edited:
Touche!...The prevailing numbers are on our side and suggest he may not be just a journeyman!
What side?? Is this a fight?

I didn't realise you and I were disagreeing with anyone- I thought we were just offering opinions. I would NEVER dare argue with FredLeDeux . I might try to baffle him with bullshit but he would definitely shoot me down in flames because he remembers so much more of the game and its players than I could ever hope to learn.

Even if GHS amounts to nothing- and you'd be a very poor supporter of the GFC if you wished that on the young lad, just to get one up on another supporter- there's no egg on anyone's face because this is just a discussion on who we "think" might make it. Nobody knows for sure and, as Daniel Menzel knows, anything can happen to prevent or delay a player from becoming a star act at the club.

I'm hoping that ALL of our young players will become A-graders. I know they won't- but there's nothing wrong with "hoping", is there?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 100979

Ling Type.... guess it what you see in a player. I always rated Ling as a strong overhead mark , a resultant of his days as FF and in this regard ..GHS not so much. Probably a bit the same in their stride I guess.

A poorman's Kilpatrick ...ouch..thats a bit below the belt. What about a poorman's Simon Arnott or perhaps a poormans Denis Lengahan ( or was it Michael , always get those two mixed up).

I'l be happy if he can learn to be a poormans Peter Featherby , if he gets the ball more he will start to really influence games

What side?? Is this a fight?

I didn't realise you and I were disagreeing with anyone- I thought we were just offering opinions. I would NEVER dare argue with FredLeDeux . I might try to baffle him with bullshit but he would definitely shoot me down in flames because he remembers so much more of the game and its players than I could ever hope to learn.

Even if GHS amounts to nothing- and you'd be a very poor supporter of the GFC if you wished that on the young lad, just to get one up on another supporter- there's no egg on anyone's face because this is just a discussion on who we "think" might make it. Nobody knows for sure and, as Daniel Menzel knows, anything can happen to prevent or delay a player from becoming a star act at the club.

I'm hoping that ALL of our young players will become A-graders. I know they won't- but there's nothing wrong with "hoping", is there?

Don't get an anxiety attack Teriyaki!......not hating Fred at all, just making points.....and I think he's mature enough to understand that. :thumbsu:

Don't get an anxiety attack Teriyaki!......not hating Fred at all, just making points.....and I think he's mature enough to understand that. :thumbsu:
Phew. That's good. My boxing gloves are in the wash. It's a shame- but that's how it is. I was trying to tell you that you're on your own with this one. ;)

Ling Type.... guess it what you see in a player. I always rated Ling as a strong overhead mark , a resultant of his days as FF and in this regard ..GHS not so much. Probably a bit the same in their stride I guess.

A poorman's Kilpatrick ...ouch..thats a bit below the belt. What about a poorman's Simon Arnott or perhaps a poormans Denis Lengahan ( or was it Michael , always get those two mixed up).

I'l be happy if he can learn to be a poormans Peter Featherby , if he gets the ball more he will start to really influence games
There is only one Ling, Turbo, with all of Ling's attributes. I wasn't even thinking of his marking when I likened GHS to him. I guess that's an area that George can work on, then- because he isn't going to get any faster. Like Lingy, he will have to make the best of what talents he has, if he is to succeed. And the coaches will need to work out where and how to best utilise his skills.

Just looking at Lingy's stats at about George's current age and experience - this would be when Ling seems to have upped his output - ie. disposals, clearances, I50s. Let's hope GHS can follow the same development trajectory.

wow, blasts from the past...got their sigs at a vfl game at a sunday lakeside oval game but cannot remember them playing a game (no internerdz back then).

Memory is a poor data bank , but im thinking one of them played in preseason game down in Anglesea in about 84 , the year we GAblett, Williams and Jacko debuted for us R1. Lot of talent that day , Ablett starred but I thought one of Lenaghans played very well , in the best 3 or 4. Never really became a player at the top level , just a yard too slow I think ... maybe a poorman's Bairstow ;)

Memory is a poor data bank , but im thinking one of them played in preseason game down in Anglesea in about 84 , the year we GAblett, Williams and Jacko debuted for us R1. Lot of talent that day , Ablett starred but I thought one of Lenaghans played very well , in the best 3 or 4. Never really became a player at the top level , just a yard too slow I think ... maybe a poorman's Bairstow ;)
I'll ask around when I'm down there next Saturday.

Back