John Worsfold - will he coach again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Woosha is 46. Not sure he's 'aging' just yet.

Lyon, Walsh, Eade, Roos, Hinkley, Richardson are all older and 5 of them are 1st/2nd year coaches at their current clubs.

No idea if he wants to coach again but I reckon if he threw his hat into the ring he'd at least get an interview. An excellent motivator if tactically a bit limited.

Not sure where he was tactically in his last couple of years at West Coast. What do Eagles fans think? Or were the players just not of a high enough standard?

Woosha is 46. Not sure he's 'aging' just yet.
Wow, he's only 46? He looked a lot older than that in his last year at West Coast. Personally I got the feeling that he was over the stress and responsibility of being a senior coach. He just looked spent - and for that reason I don't think any club would take a chance on him, and I don't think he'd want the chance. He's over it.

Not sure where he was tactically in his last couple of years at West Coast. What do Eagles fans think? Or were the players just not of a high enough standard?

Eeked the most out of what we had 2011/12 but his gameplan was always one-dimensional.

People talked about our 'press' but really we were just a latecomer to that party. Our gameplan was as always get the ball out of the middle, kick it long forward. Midfielders get the ball forward, defenders defend and forwards forward. The main difference was we went from having a star studded midfield and an average forward line to an average midfield with 2 star ruckmen and a very good forward line.

Our biggest failing over the last few years is not recognising we don't have the midfield quality or depth to be a contender. That's never solely the coach's fault but Worsfold kept faith with his methods and players and eventually the club decided we needed a change.

Wow, he's only 46? He looked a lot older than that in his last year at West Coast. Personally I got the feeling that he was over the stress and responsibility of being a senior coach. He just looked spent - and for that reason I don't think any club would take a chance on him, and I don't think he'd want the chance. He's over it.
I agree I think he was pretty burnt out by the end of it all. He might be a bit fresher now having had some time off.

Brilliant coach, to fully appreciate what he did at West Coast with all the issues you would have to be on the inside but gee imagine if he had a list of committed professionals? I rate Woosh highly, he is young and has had obvious success. He would get a job no worries, like someone else said he would be a great fit at a club like Carlton or even Collingwood.

When asked about possible interest in the Adelaide job last year this was his reply.
“I have got a massive interest in coaching … but in terms of me stepping back into the main job, that is not on the cards, definitely not for the next 12 months,” Worsfold told SEN radio in Melbourne on Thursday.

“By the time we get to this point next year I will be starting to wonder whether I have finished with coaching altogether or whether I will be keen to get back in.”
Saying you have a "massive interest in coaching" followed by a "not for the next 12 months" says to me he will coach again if the right offer is made.
I reckon it's up to a club that wants him to make the right offer and he'll coach again.
The proviso being the club would need to have the blessing of the departing coach.
He wont kick another coach out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Walsh/the AFC can talk him back into something permanent, on the back of his free* assessment of our new coaching panel. We'd need to show him the money though, no doubt.

"Hey Woosh... me, Teaguey and Glassey want to get the band back together... we need a drummer... carn mate... I saved your lucky sticks..."

*1 x bottle of Hill Of Grace apparently

Possible the 'worst' coach to win a flag. Game day he was no better than Frawley or Rhode.

Bullshit, if things weren't going so well he had a cunning plan of throwing Hunter forward.

Any chance Woosha would come back?

a) Would he want to and does he have the hunger?
b) Would anyone give him a senior job?

james hird may be on the look out for a pharmacist

I could see him as director of coaching at the Crows - as a lot of his former assistants are there. Not that they appear to need him at the moment.

On a side note: John Worsfold should be in the hall of fame. The fact he isn't is a disgrace! He's been such a huge part of Australian football - has been captain or coach in 5 grand finals and has held up the cup 3 times. He should be in there.

Last edited:
The fact he turned a blind eye to all the drug taking/boozing and partying at West Coast in the last decade means I don't want him at Carlton. He didn't really leave West Coast in great shape for Adam Simpson either (they have the worst midfield in the league, in my opinion)

The fact he turned a blind eye to all the drug taking/boozing and partying at West Coast in the last decade means I don't want him at Carlton. He didn't really leave West Coast in great shape for Adam Simpson either (they have the worst midfield in the league, in my opinion)

I think you could argue he acted too late but its not true to say he didn't act at all. He gave the players a chance to turn the culture around and the ones who didn't buy in were either sacked or moved on when their contract was up. Basically 2008-2010 was an entire write off but I guess you wouldn't know that unless you were an Eagles fan. Still, clubs aren't told when their players test positive so I don't see why they should be held responsible anyway?

Last edited:
I think you could argue he acted too late but its not true to say he didn't act at all. I think he gave the players a chance to turn the culture around and when they didn't they were either sacked or moved on when their contract was up. Basically 2008-2010 was an entire write off but I guess you wouldn't know that unless you were an Eagles fan.

Fair call, as an Eagles fan you'd have a lot more knowledge of the situation then me, think if he had his time over, Woosha would do things differently, that Eagles was a wonderfully talented team that really should have won at least 2 more flags (but that's on the players themselves, not Woosha)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back