Team Mgmt. Current Contract Status (AFL & AFLW) - Updated in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah look - I hope none of these guys get delisted, but the bottom line is they are only contracted until the end of the year and some of them will get the chop. Its a sad reality of modern day football

Yeah look - I hope none of these guys get delisted, but the bottom line is they are only contracted until the end of the year and some of them will get the chop. Its a sad reality of modern day football
It's not that. We're just disagreeing on who will be cut. Thinking that Pears, Browne and Hams are in any way, shape or form are ahead of Gwilt and Kavanagh is simply incorrect.

It's not that. We're just disagreeing on who will be cut. Thinking that Pears, Browne and Hams are in any way, shape or form are ahead of Gwilt and Kavanagh is simply incorrect.

Browne and Hams aren't ahead of, but certainly are younger and more upside than Gwilt - surely we can agree on that eth??

Browne and Hams aren't ahead of, but certainly are younger and more upside than Gwilt - surely we can agree on that eth??
They play different positions. Gwilt is ahead based on the fact he's in our best 25 fit players and will probably go around again next year as depth.

im New here but i'll give my opinion what i reckon might happen

Tayte Pears will Deff go
==================
Jake Carslile could be used as Trade Bait to lure someone like Scott Selwood or Rory Sloane , plus IMO Jake is no good anyway, he aint consistent. he's pretty much like Travis Cloke. Misses those dead set easy shots at Goal. however he isnt bad in the Ruck Jake, times we have need Jake to Fire, He hasn't.
=============================================================
Tom Bellchambers May Leave the club or used as Trade Bait. Essendon AFAIK was in talks with a Former Ruckman from Richmond last year, that guy s name ( Andrew Browne ) plays in the EDFL now. so my guess they'll go after another Ruck in the 2015 Draft a Mature one.
========================================================================
Will Hams , ??? i dont know but he's not strong enough
=========================================
Nick o'Brien - he could stay on an play in roles that Jason Winderlich used to ply, Licka will retire. both Nick an licka stand at 188cm's an play similar roles
=================================================================================================================
James Gwilt - dunno if he really Adds anything exciting to the team to warrant offering him another contract.
==============================================================================
Alex Browne - i'd keep him as long as he doesnt get another ACL this year.
=======================================================

we are 6 rounds in now and theres still plenty of blokes without a contract for 2016 or beyond. I think heres a fair summation of where there at and what chances they are of staying at the club;-

Hams, Will - shown glimpses coming on as SUB this year, but the jury is still out on this guy might be given another year

Long, Jake - going well in the reserves before injuring his hand - will be given more time

Merrett, Jackson - just the one game for Jackson so far - fairly uninspiring and whilst he'll want to stay and play with his much more highly skilled brother nothing is certain. Hard to believe hes played 3 more games than Zach - sadly hes no where near as good but should get another year

Winderlich, Jason - gone

McKenna, Connor- gone

Gwilt, James - gone

Browne, Alex - running out of chances and unless he can make an impact this year its hard to see him being kept on the list in 2016

Pears, Tayte - gone (baring a miracle)

McKernan, Shaun - has done well since coming to the club and will be given a chance to prove himself -50/50 at this stage

Steinberg, Ariel - perennial club favourite and is versatile so likely to be kept on the list or at least sup list

Kavanagh, Elliott - doesnt seem to be progressing and not getting picked either. 5 years at the club for only 7 games so far in the same boat as Browne

Aylett, Kurt – like this guy hope and think we might see him in 2016

O'Brien, Nicholas – 5 years and only 5 games for Nicholas - see Kavanagh, Browne

Chapman, Paul – still good - maybe 1 more year…?? Hope so

Fletcher, Dustin – still good and the decision will be left up to him

The following players all have trade currency so hard to tell what will happen.

Baguley, Mark

Dempsey, Courtenay

Carlisle, Jake

Fantasia, Orazio

Bellchambers, Tom

Dalgleish, Lachlan

Melksham, Jake

TBell, Dempsey & Carlisle the most likely to go I reckon out of that lot though

Writing both McKenna and Gwilt off as gone already seems a bit harsh to me, B36.

Probably Doss. Love Gwilt but I think hes more back-up than starting 22, and McKenna could rapidly improve - but would need to if hes going to keep his spot too many other ahead of him and more of a 'project player' I think

Probably Doss. Love Gwilt but I think hes more back-up than starting 22, and McKenna could rapidly improve - but would need to if hes going to keep his spot too many other ahead of him and more of a 'project player' I think
McKenna isn't keeping anyone off the list as he is a category B rookie so he doesn't take up a list spot. I'd be very surprised if he is culled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone seen much of Mckenna?

Initial reports sounded pretty exciting (but what new draftee doesn't sound like the next superstar) but the buzz seems to have died a bit.

Anyone shed some light?

Initial reports sounded pretty exciting (but what new draftee doesn't sound like the next superstar) but the buzz seems to have died a bit.

Anyone shed some light?
havent heard anything about McKenna, , last i heard about him was a few months ago. my guess is McKenna will get another Contract but stay as a Rookie. it takes an irish guy longer to learn Aussie Rules,

wonder if the club is looking at Harvey Daniher? aswell as Tom Wallis. the club will have to get someone in this Draft to take over from Goddard for when he Retires at the end of 2016 . how ever im in Favor of getting rid of Carlisle, i think our Forward line can be to tall with Joe an Jake, if you put just Joe an Patty Ambrose there which is around a good height for me.

Question is, do we still need chappyu? im gonna say No. i think Zach Merret is all we need .

Fletch , i just dont think he'll play-on after this season since he'll have over 400 games Added to his name an played for the club, i wouldnt be surprised if he were to go into a Defence Development role with the club in the VFL.

i wouldnt be surprised if the Gold Coast Suns go after Dempsey, Dempsey is from Qld so if a Trade were to happen there it could be a win/win scenario

Last edited:

Anyone shed some light?
Raw, quick, good skills but hasn't really learned the game yet and too skinny. He's one you reassess after 3 years.

Just to add to the McKenna discussion, Irish rookies have a mandatory two year contract first up so he is contracted for 2016.

Not that I would imagine anyone at Essendon would be contemplating cutting him after such limited exposure to the game. However I would definitely prefer to see him playing in the backline in the VFL. Having watched many Irish players trying to develop over the years, it's extremely difficult as a forward, particularly at the lower level (VFL, SANFL etc.) given the poor delivery, lack of space, operating with back to goal etc. After watching McKenna play against our VFL side, he is experiencing the same issues.

Just my two cents and I hope you don't mind the intrusion :)

What I think will happen.

Hams, Will
- Give him another year. Loves the contest so if he can put some weight on should be allright.

Long, Jake - Re-rookie for another chance.

Merrett, Jackson - Good depth player. Resign for two years.

Winderlich, Jason - Will retire.

McKenna, Connor- Have zero idea. If he is an added roster spot as an international player why not keep him going.

Gwilt, James -Decent depth player. resign for another year.

Browne, Alex - Delist. Had enough time.

Pears, Tayte - De-list.

McKernan, Shaun - Upgrade to main list.

Steinberg, Ariel - Depth player still for another year.

Kavanagh, Elliott - Had long enough. De-list.

Aylett, Kurt – One more year.

O'Brien, Nicholas – De-list

Chapman, Paul – Up to him.

Fletcher, Dustin – Up to him.

Baguley, Mark - Re-sign for 3+ years.

Dempsey, Courtenay - year by year.

Carlisle, Jake - re-sign for 3+ years or trade for x-factor midfielder.

Fantasia, Orazio - Another year.

Bellchambers, Tom - re-sign for 2 years.

Dalgleish, Lachlan - another yar.

Melksham, Jake - re-sign for 2 years.

What I think will happen.

Hams, Will
- Give him another year. Loves the contest so if he can put some weight on should be allright.

Long, Jake - Re-rookie for another chance.

Merrett, Jackson - Good depth player. Resign for two years.

Winderlich, Jason - Will retire.

McKenna, Connor- Have zero idea. If he is an added roster spot as an international player why not keep him going.

Gwilt, James -Decent depth player. resign for another year.

Browne, Alex - Delist. Had enough time.

Pears, Tayte - De-list.

McKernan, Shaun - Upgrade to main list.

Steinberg, Ariel - Depth player still for another year.

Kavanagh, Elliott - Had long enough. De-list.

Aylett, Kurt – One more year.

O'Brien, Nicholas – De-list

Chapman, Paul – Up to him.

Fletcher, Dustin – Up to him.

Baguley, Mark - Re-sign for 3+ years.

Dempsey, Courtenay - year by year.

Carlisle, Jake - re-sign for 3+ years or trade for x-factor midfielder.

Fantasia, Orazio - Another year.

Bellchambers, Tom - re-sign for 2 years.

Dalgleish, Lachlan - another yar.

Melksham, Jake - re-sign for 2 years.
Steinberg has to be promoted this season.

Why? He's not AFL standard. Delist and keep him on as a VFL listed player if possible.
i'd re-draft Stieny. the playing Group tend to love him around the club, plus im sure he Ran the fastest during the 2km run, either that or Draft him to a club like MelbourneFC that need speed

Why? He's not AFL standard. Delist and keep him on as a VFL listed player if possible.
as i reckon, but since he's been a rookie for 3 years now the club either has to elevate him to senior list or Trade him. he might be worth a good reasonable 3rd round pick.

i'd re-draft Stieny. the playing Group tend to love him around the club, plus im sure he Ran the fastest during the 2km run, either that or Draft him to a club like MelbourneFC that need speed
Steinberg fast? :confused:

Also we could keep him around the club as a VFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back