Review Round 8: Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the style and gameplan to beat Hawthorn but we dont bring it often enough.

Not doubting that at all. But what I mean when I say Will but not the Way the Way is a combination made up of some sloppy skills by foot and by hand and some bloody awful decision making. Given some of this is under pressure from quality opposition but if we cut out the willingness to sometimes be our own greatest opposition we not only beat them, we win by a fair margin. Pure guts and determination and a fierce will to win won that game tonight but I suppose that is our style isn't it ?

I feel we go for low percentage options a lot coming out of defence, no wonder the opposition gets so many repeat inside 50s. But we fought out a win and that's all that matters right now. Plenty of time to find a better 'way'. But tonight, the 'will' was the most important thing.

I feel we go for low percentage options a lot coming out of defence, no wonder the opposition gets so many repeat inside 50s. But we fought out a win and that's all that matters right now. Plenty of time to find a better 'way'. But tonight, the 'will' was the most important thing.

I still feel we haven't hit top gear yet lots of improvement to come.

Was at the MCG tonight, what a effort from our swannies.

How disgusting is the booing of Adam Goodes, it's unbelievable, had a friend at the game with me who is not a Swan supporter and was as disgusted as I was.

Well done Goodsie, grabbed that great mark when we needed it most

really admire how they fought back and kicked the last three - thought most of the youngsters stood up - parker of course, but also Lloyd, Jetta, Reid, Mitchell, and Rohan in bursts. After the GF - that was important. They will take a lot from that win - lots to improve on but good to see the old Swans dogged spirit.

Well done Adam Goodes - sorry and stupid to doubt you!

GO SWANS.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in tears go watch Clarkson's press. Can't believe a premiership coach would blame it on bad kicking.

I'm not totally against booing Adam Goodes if it fires him up to play good football. Thought he was pretty good when it counted. Still not sure why some saw it as time to retire give Towers his spot etc after only a few games or McGlynn for that matter. I don't usually like to bag individuals but Hawks clearly targeted Pyke and ran off him to watch them move the ball around him whilst he almost jogged on the spot, seemed a far cry from the guy who dominated around the ground in the 2012 GF. Hope he can turn it around, but for mine he is becoming a weak link outside of his ruck work which isn't too bad.

Hawks clearly targeted Pyke and ran off him to watch them move the ball around him whilst he almost jogged on the spot, seemed a far cry from the guy who dominated around the ground in the 2012 GF. Hope he can turn it around, but for mine he is becoming a weak link outside of his ruck work which isn't too bad.
His field running has never been his strong point and we had Mumford to counter that with as well. Who knows maybe we'll flog off Tippet and get an A-grade ruckman in like NikNat and really develop him. Or maybe Goodes's knees will magically regrow and we can throw him back in the ruck! :p:drunk:

Great win ,But we still got massacred at at the clearances 48-27, we have to fix that, they had 18 more inside 50 .Please Johnny put someone on Mitchell for a full game

Funnily enough Benny was on Mitchell for three quarters. Tom Mitchell went to Sam Mitchell in the last and got an uppercut for his trouble but kept the Sam variety reasonably quiet in the last. It was Mitchell & Burgoyne who were cutting us up. Someone tell me how Burgoyne runs straight through three players without being tackled. He did it three times last night. I think Clarkson knows when our mids are knocked up and sends Burgoyne in when they are about to change over. He then splits us apart due to our mids tiredness. At that stage Horse should make the change over immediately. I don't know who was on Burgoyne, he didn't seem to have an opponent, but they need to be much tighter. They nearly won the game off Burgoyne brilliance.

Our disposal needs to tighten in the next weeks. We know what we need to do now we have played Hawks & Freo. We now know what it takes and need to get better. We played very well but there are areas that need to be tweaked. For a start the kick ins need to be much better. Rampe was crap and Macca stuffed up a few times too many last night too. Laids and Jetts were much better mostly, except that dreadful shot kick of Jetts which is very un-Jetts. I like the idea of bringing in Jones for Shaw. Rhyce was murdered in the contest last night and his defensive work was very questionable. He was ok on transition and offensively but defensively suspect. Mind you I don't know the brains trust that put him on Cyril that really worked, not. He has a really terrible record on Cyril, why would you inflict Cyril on a guy that gets murdered by him?

Parks is a freak some of his marks were GOLD! He is the equal best mid in the game with Fyfe. This young bloke has stepped up to be a leader, leads by example, respected by everyone and king of the kids. the respect for him from the young brigade is astounding.They look up to him. Look at young Lloydy, Harry, Hannas, Ramps, Tommy, Deano not to mention the guys in the Twos. But the incredible thing is the respect he has from the senior players. Buddy, Joey, Kizza, goodsie & Macca etc. Wonderful. this bloke will captain our club if he sticks around and I think he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We restricted the Hawks to having season lows for Uncontested Possessions (222, season avg 265), Uncontested Marks (75, season average 94) and Inside 50s (54 -still higher than the AVERAGE for 12 teams, season avg 62) so kudos to the coaches for setting up and the players for executing the game plan.

We restricted the Hawks to having season lows for Uncontested Possessions (222, season avg 265), Uncontested Marks (75, season average 94) and Inside 50s (54 -still higher than the AVERAGE for 12 teams, season avg 62) so kudos to the coaches for setting up and the players for executing the game plan.

This the big one for me. That's how they control the game, and that's what we haven't been able to deal with previously.

Now, to work on our setups for clearances.

Now, to work on our setups for clearances.

Perhaps one is linked to the other. At times I thought we were very defensive in the centre square, more concerned with shutting down their ball winners rather than going for the ball itself. Making sure they don't get clean clearances was more important than trying to win clearances of our own.

LOL this was posted on the bay.
pxG7gGW.gif

Haven't had a chance to watch the replay but from the ground we got smashed at the clearances which was made up for by smarter decision making at the contest. I feel like this week there were less occasions where all the defenders flew leaving no one on the ground to clean up or shut down the Hawks crumbers.

Macca's disposal in the backline early was awful. Needless to say he more than made up for those errors in the last quarter.

Rampe should never.... ever.... be allowed to take a kick in again. My god.

Ted and Goodes probably had their best games for the season and Reid played his role to great effect. Didn't mind the strategy of taking Franklin away from the play (looked like a deliberate ploy rather than a quiet game). Gave the smaller forwards and rotating mids more space to run into and I feel it worked well.

Looked like we wanted to flog Pyke to free up Tippett against the strong Hawk backline this week. Would not be surprised if Pyke gets a rest this week to freshen up.

Interesting again to see such vitriol towards Shaw again. At the ground I would have said of all the people to criticise it would have been Laidler who looked lost at times and was ineffective.

I was just proud of the boys last night

The ticker, they aggression i loved that start especially, they never took a backward step, yeah i know its a bit late or whatever but you cant change the past

I know its just a close round 8 win, but i was just looking at their attitude and effort and that was excellent last night from all of them

Interesting how subdued the song was

Haven't had a chance to watch the replay but from the ground we got smashed at the clearances which was made up for by smarter decision making at the contest. I feel like this week there were less occasions where all the defenders flew leaving no one on the ground to clean up or shut down the Hawks crumbers.

Macca's disposal in the backline early was awful. Needless to say he more than made up for those errors in the last quarter.

Rampe should never.... ever.... be allowed to take a kick in again. My god.

Ted and Goodes probably had their best games for the season and Reid played his role to great effect. Didn't mind the strategy of taking Franklin away from the play (looked like a deliberate ploy rather than a quiet game). Gave the smaller forwards and rotating mids more space to run into and I feel it worked well.

Looked like we wanted to flog Pyke to free up Tippett against the strong Hawk backline this week. Would not be surprised if Pyke gets a rest this week to freshen up.

Interesting again to see such vitriol towards Shaw again. At the ground I would have said of all the people to criticise it would have been Laidler who looked lost at times and was ineffective.

On the tv laidler did some real nice work

Shaw made some shocking errors he is lucky shiels couldnt kick straight

But that kick late to set up the goal from shaw was brilliant

Just love Parker more and more. Whenever and wherever on the field a hawks player screwed up or there was the grabbing of shirts, he was there. It's good to know we're not going to get bullied again

Credit to the skipper. He started poor but rose in that last quarter
KJ just needed to hold a couple more of those marks

Great intent shown by the boys last night. Really loved how they took it up to the hawks players, especially sam mitchell early on. Parker was a standout once again, jetta had a great game. Mcglynn was excellent in the first half. Reid looks like he has found his role on the wing. Always nervous when grundy gets the ball and he seemed to have a lot of it last night. Pyke was a massive liability once the ball hit the ground! Really loved the overall intent and physicality shown be the boys.

It was also good to see us trying to hit targets, especially to our fwds instead of just bombing it long. Sure, we didn't execute perfectly but it was great to see the intent shown in that area of the game. Parker also mentioned how they wanted to keep on trying to hit targets inside the fwd 50 rather than bombing it long which was great to hear.

Great intent shown by the boys last night. Really loved how they took it up to the hawks players, especially sam mitchell early on. Parker was a standout once again, jetta had a great game. Mcglynn was excellent in the first half. Reid looks like he has found his role on the wing. Always nervous when grundy gets the ball and he seemed to have a lot of it last night. Pyke was a massive liability once the ball hit the ground! Really loved the overall intent and physicality shown be the boys.

It was also good to see us trying to hit targets, especially to our fwds instead of just bombing it long. Sure, we didn't execute perfectly but it was great to see the intent shown in that area of the game. Parker also mentioned how they wanted to keep on trying to hit targets inside the fwd 50 rather than bombing it long which was great to hear.
Whilst getting the 4 points is wonderful, the fact we showed heart and guts is the best thing we got out of this

7K. Not as good as 30 though Sir Swans :p

Whilst getting the 4 points is wonderful, the fact we showed heart and guts is the best thing we got out of this

7K. Not as good as 30 though Sir Swans :p

Good start to you young rookie
Heeney to my buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back