Autopsy Prelim Final- Hawthorn d Freo by 27 (Trolls will be carded)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe fractured his leg in that 1sr quarter incident. So it wasn't the soreness he was carrying into the game that restricted him.

Do we have that confirmed?? If so, bloody hell. That is not good at all. Will shorten his pre-season a fair bit you'd think, and then there's always the chance of complications. It better be minor.

Also means we would have played the GF without him ... that would have made it bloody tough.

EDIT: Just saw the other thread. I'll move my thoughts over there.

I just can't get over this loss, this had to be the year, and the stars where all aligning, only to be thwarted by things mainly out of our control. I think the boys will be mentally tired now, after 4 years of striving but falling short.

That Chris Mayne miss will haunt me for a long time I think. The result might not have been different in the end but gee it would have been hard for the hawks to stop our momentum had that gone through

Yep, it wasn't the defining moment but it sure was the starting point of the swing.

That Chris Mayne miss will haunt me for a long time I think. The result might not have been different in the end but gee it would have been hard for the hawks to stop our momentum had that gone through

yep, I knew he would miss, I couldn't bear to look but I did and it was the first cut of many to hack my heart out!

My immediate feeling after the game..
image.png Though watching the replay we stuffed up a lot more than Sheridan.
The amount of critical marks we dropped was ridiculous. Walters, Tabs, Gu all multiple offenders.

I think that's why I am so angry and so devastated and disillusioned about this loss more than our straight sets loss last year. At least in last year's semi, I could honestly say we were overrun and beaten fair and square. It hurt, but it wasn't nearly as infuriating.

On Friday, it just left a bitter taste in the mouth to know that the result was being manipulated. Even worse, the AFL had been telegraphing what they wanted via the media the back half of last season. Nobody wanted Fremantle in the grand final "for the good of the game."

Yeah, sure, This was from last year's post mortem

to be honest, i am this close to giving this sport up. not because of freo losing (and yes, I am disappointed beyond belief that we ended our season this way - kick straight, for ****'s sake) but because i feel i am wasting my time and energy following a sport where:

1. some teams are more equal than others.
2. some players are more equal than others.
3. rules change every week depending on who is umpiring and depending on who is playing. (see 1 and 2)
4. fixturing is advantageous to other teams and based on potential gate receipts.
5. the league administration is not after improving fairness as much as generating funds.

i love Freo, but i hate that we are often given short shrift. if i wanted to buy into the heroes and villains narrative, i would have followed the WWE. i don't know if i can come back next year, it's just too ******* heartbreaking. and if there's anything that really turns me off, it's ******* injustice.

i'm a migrant with an australian citizenship, and from all i've learned since coming over here and embracing the best part of australian culture, i find it ironic that of all sports, it's a sport called "aussie rules football" that does not afford every one in the league a fair go. the way the AFL is run is so un-Australian.

Apparently the umpires made a few errors last weekend...but not in Ballantyne's case.

An off-the-ball incident involving Fremantle's Hayden Ballantyne and Hawthorn's Matt Suckling has been given the tick of approval.

"I'm really comfortable with that decision because if you look at the down the ground vision Hayden moves in the direction of (Suckling) and makes contact," Kennedy said.

"There are lots of places Ballantyne could have run and we believe it was a correct free kick."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-28/some-grounds-are-difficult-places-to-umpire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few random observations...
1. Tough loss but your form since mid season was really average. (There seems to have been a drop off in the 'team first' intensity that Fremantle normally delivers.)
2. Lucky to win the previous week against a depleted Sydney. Swans had you guys covered but failed to capitalize on their dominance.
3. Had your chances in the Prelim but like the GF in 2013, did not take them at the critical moments.
4. Bottom 4-6 players are not able to stand up in the heat of battle during the finals.
5. Ross Lyon is under pressure and he's actually going to have to turn over the list and develop young talent. (I get the feeling he's run his race at Freo but unless there's an unexpected drop off next year in performance, he deserves at least 2 years to show what he can do. Ironically I think he would be the perfect fit for Adelaide.)
6. Saw some vision of Danyle Pearce after the game. You could just tell he was absolutely gutted. Felt sorry him.

A few random observations...
1. You're a smug campaigner, aren't you?
2. Go heck yourself
3. Thanks Captain Obvious
4. Wow, you're quite brilliant, WillowSF
5. Learn the meaning of irony, this ain't it
6. We are all so damn pleased that you felt sorry for DP, really, that just makes it all worthwhile.

Do you really think your contribution was helpful? Nobody needs to read your dim-witted observations - the majority of which were painfully obvious. Stop being a heckhead.

1. You're a smug campaigner, aren't you?
2. Go **** yourself
3. Thanks Captain Obvious
4. Wow, you're quite brilliant, WillowSF
5. Learn the meaning of irony, this ain't it
6. We are all so damn pleased that you felt sorry for DP, really, that just makes it all worthwhile.

Do you really think your contribution was helpful? Nobody needs to read your dim-witted observations - the majority of which were painfully obvious. Stop being a ****head.

I won't address your entire post but I disagree wholeheartedly that Ross Lyon's situation is not ironic. It is the very definition of irony. He left St. Kilda who's list was in a very similar profile to yours today only to find himself in the same situation three years later. I bet if Adelaide were interested he would give serious consideration to moving on.

I won't address your entire post but I disagree wholeheartedly that Ross Lyon's situation is not ironic. It is the very definition of irony. He left St. Kilda who's list was in a very similar profile to yours today only to find himself in the same situation three years later. I bet if Adelaide were interested he would give serious consideration to moving on.
He had no contract at St Kilda, he has 2 years left on a contract at Freo...how is that similar?

I'm not sure you know what the word ironic means.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Apparently the umpires made a few errors last weekend...but not in Ballantyne's case.

An off-the-ball incident involving Fremantle's Hayden Ballantyne and Hawthorn's Matt Suckling has been given the tick of approval.

"I'm really comfortable with that decision because if you look at the down the ground vision Hayden moves in the direction of (Suckling) and makes contact," Kennedy said.

"There are lots of places Ballantyne could have run and we believe it was a correct free kick."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-28/some-grounds-are-difficult-places-to-umpire
I would be a lot more comfortable if the contact by Ballantyne had not been negligible or if Suckling had not taken a dive as if shot. I would also be more comfortable if the Pyke sniping of Fyfe off the ball the week before or any of the hundreds of similar incidents attracted the same penalty of an opposition goal.

It didn't, they don't and the decision was pathetic and crucial in the context of the game. If they wanted to make a statement to "quieten Haydn down" they could have done it in the first minutes of the game, not when we had all the momentum.

I would be a lot more comfortable if the contact by Ballantyne had not been negligible or if Suckling had not taken a dive as if shot. I would also be more comfortable if the Pyke sniping of Fyfe off the ball the week before or any of the hundreds of similar incidents attracted the same penalty of an opposition goal.

It didn't, they don't and the decision was pathetic and crucial in the context of the game. If they wanted to make a statement to "quieten Haydn down" they could have done it in the first minutes of the game, not when we had all the momentum.

Except in the first few minutes he was floored by Lake and no free kick was awarded.

Except in the first few minutes he was floored by Lake and no free kick was awarded.
My point rgauci, they look at one thing in isolation and say I'm happy with that decision. Technically it may have been correct (VERY soft) but in the context of the game and the occasion it was blatantly not the correct decision.

You are suggesting the only reason Hawthorn has made four consecutive Grand Finals is because we were assisted by an umpire.. like one single umpiring decision is the sole reason Hawthorn has made it to the final dance the last few years.
I understand you're hurting from the loss tonight, but to suggest a conspiracy of such magnitude; utterly ridiculous.
No conspiracy, just the facts of what happened.
Stevic is a hawthorn supporter - that much is well known.

I'll be very interested to see how the grand final is adjudicated this weekend by that individual in particular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back