Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey+pee+in+mouth.gif

good to see todd carney still getting a gig

Welcome Dixon :thumbsu:

Another great trade! Happy we kept pick 32 as well, didn't want our first pick to be around 50 again.

Well talented youth still remains an integral ingredient when you have yet to win premierships. Also I subscribe to trading out a quality player at his peak to lure the early draft pick (especially if we do win the 2016 flag) and I subscribe to trading an early pick to lure a quality player that's just about to hit their peak. So I feel that we need to retain a 1st round pick next year but use one to top us up still. I appreciate the Hawthorn model but no model is ever exactly identical.
Selwood got to Geelong because they had a s**t year and then the next year all the underachievers clicked and whilst he contributed, he also go a bit of a free reign being the 5th or 6th best midfielder.

18 of the 22 Geelong 2007 premiership players were drafted before the 2003 season started. Nathan Ablett was a father son pick in 2004, Mathew Stokes was a 2005 draftee but he was 21 not 18 when drafted, Brad Ottens was traded in 2004 but he originally drafted in 1997.

So Selwood was the only 2006 draftee who made it and at pick 7 there was a good chance he was good enough to hold his spot come finals times as did pick 5 of that draft Travis Boak also hold his spot come finals time.

Selwood got to Geelong because they had a s**t year and then the next year all the underachievers clicked and whilst he contributed he also go a bit of a free reign being the 5th or 6th best midfielder.

18 of the 22 Geelong 2007 premiership players were drafted before the 2003 season started. Nathan Ablett was a father son pick in 2004, Mathew Stokes was a 2005 draftee butt he was 21 not 18 when drafted, Brad Ottens was traded in 2004 but he originally drafted in 1997.

So Selwood was the only 2006 draftee who made it and at pick 7 there was a good chance he was good enough to hold his spot come finals times as did pick 5 of that draft Travis Boak also hols his spot come finals time.
Out of curiosity, who else did the cats pick up in 2006?

Congrats on Dixon, guy could be a beast for you.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well talented youth still remains an integral ingredient when you have yet to win premierships. Also I subscribe to trading out a quality player at his peak to lure the early draft pick (especially if we do win the 2016 flag) and I subscribe to trading an early pick to lure a quality player that's just about to hit their peak. So I feel that we need to retain a 1st round pick next year but use one to top us up still. I appreciate the Hawthorn model but no model is ever exactly identical.

Anyway, just a viewpoint. We're still celebrating our new players.

Trading out quality players at their peak only works if they're not best 22. If they are best 22 and you trade them out, you're less likely to be able to compete for a flag. Instead of cycling the list, it will plateau meaning while the list will still be good, you'll effectively become the Adelaide Crows on field.

Hey Piston.....what a day that was!
That kid made my day. Warren Gary Tredrea. Before him we had Scott Cummins, Darryl Poole. Wazza fixed up our CHF area eventually. I love the Sarge but i want Charles to be that Number one that we always seem to seriously lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back