Resource AFL Live Pass - Free for Telstra customers

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say great, it looked OK on my phone, not so great on my tablet.

I don't have a telstra mobile so I was using my wi-fi at home.

TBH, all the AFL video content is sub par IMO. It is all made for mobile or at least not maximising the player.

High definition streaming of matches live and in replay, over the internet, has to be part of the next broadcast deal. Treating the national sport as a tool to funnel people into Foxtel subscriptions is a disgrace.
Its not great compared to a hd tv broadcast but in terms of being able to watch footy on a 4" screen its still pretty impressive. Would i like it to be sharper? Sure, but im still bloody impressed i can get full screen football on my phone.

I'd have to get my father-in-law to do it and he's not super with tech. Is it just dial that number, and then you'll be sent a text link?
Dial #820# then a popup tells you that your message was recieved, then a text message arrives with a link. You should be able to have him forward you the message with the link

I work for Telstra and last year they used this as a promo for new customers only but it still got leaked all over the Internet. This time around it appears any new or existing Telstra post paid customer can sign up with with no issues which is a bit strange by hey I'll take it. Just hopped on it again this year and glad to hear it will be unmetered again this year as there was talk of it changing to a free for everyone but metered setup.

On Reddit some people are saying they can buy a $2 SIM from Coles which is apparently on the Telstra network which can work too

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hallefekkenlujah, finally got the bastard to work.
Rang Telstra yesterday and they reckoned I had a bar on Premium SMS (??), which they removed but that it would take anywhere from 2 to 24 hours to filter through.
16 hours later and finally got it to work without getting an 'invalid MMI code' error.
Not sure if this was actually the reason or just coincidence in the end, but if anyone's getting the same error might be worth a try (be prepared for the hold music though!)

Hallefekkenlujah, finally got the bastard to work.
Rang Telstra yesterday and they reckoned I had a bar on Premium SMS (??), which they removed but that it would take anywhere from 2 to 24 hours to filter through.
16 hours later and finally got it to work without getting an 'invalid MMI code' error.
Not sure if this was actually the reason or just coincidence in the end, but if anyone's getting the same error might be worth a try (be prepared for the hold music though!)
Use the live chat if you don't mind it taking a bit longer. Less wait times on the phone but at least you don't have to be on the phone :)

With regards to the app being unmetered, is that for the whole site (ie watching news reports, highlights and re-watching old games) or is it only for the live games?

With regards to the app being unmetered, is that for the whole site (ie watching news reports, highlights and re-watching old games) or is it only for the live games?
whole site I believe - don't quote me on that though

Might try and get this through my brothers work Telstra Phone. Not sure if feasible.

I've been using http://watchafl.afl.com.au/ with getflix. Usually only available to international customers but getflix works quite well to unblock that 'in-australia' restriction.

Noticed they've got some vintage games up. Just emailed them to see if they could get some Crows games of note from way back.

Found a way to download the streams too - grabbing the classic Geelong vs Port grandfinal in what apparently is 1080p - doubtful it'll be that good but looks better than the copies I currently have.

Might try and get this through my brothers work Telstra Phone. Not sure if feasible.

I've been using http://watchafl.afl.com.au/ with getflix. Usually only available to international customers but getflix works quite well to unblock that 'in-australia' restriction.

Noticed they've got some vintage games up. Just emailed them to see if they could get some Crows games of note from way back.

Found a way to download the streams too - grabbing the classic Geelong vs Port grandfinal in what apparently is 1080p - doubtful it'll be that good but looks better than the copies I currently have.
I'm pretty sure what they show there is just what afl.tv is (which is a stream of fox footy)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure what they show there is just what afl.tv is (which is a stream of fox footy)
Yeah they have the afl.TV 24/7 stream. Also replays on demand (which I much prefer)

Will have to do proper comparison between the video quality.

The replays on watch AFL (global) come out as 800+Mb per quarter.
1080p 25fps 3458kbps.

The replays on AFL.com.au (live pass) are about 350mb per quarter.
720p 25fps 2003kbps.

Have to do an a/b comparison of the same game because it could just be upscaling with minimal gain in the visuals.

Foxtel still looks the best to my eye. Just looking for an easy way to archive games, along with picking up older games in the highest quality available.

Have an NHL pass for streaming and it kills all of ours. Such smooth motion and sharp picture.

Why on earth won't they let you stream on your computer with this? Why does it have to be a phone?

My phone is a piece of s**t that can't play video, but I'd be happy to watch it on the computer.

I think it's related to copyright bs issues.

Just like how you can watch Foxtel on your tablet or phone but cannot stream it to your tv. For the record you can stream it to your tv but depending on your device you need to root it or jailbreak it.

There is probably some IT savvy poster that can show you how to stream it your computer. I can stream my Samsung phone to my laptop, although if you do this I expect the video to judder.

what phone and computer do you have?

Got it free last year with the dreamteam promo.

Was OK, but the quality was a huge letdown, and mobile device only kinda sucks.

I was able to get it onto the TV with a rooted android phone mirroring to a chromecast though.

Does it depend on your phone though?

When I'm out and about I use my phone to watch Fox Footy on Foxtel and it's brilliant quality. I have Foxtel HD on my TV so I can appreciate the difference of SD and HD of Foxtel.

WIth that said C7 I think only shows SD or has that changed whereas Foxtel is HD. However if the game is a C7 game you are only young to get SD quality even if you watch it on Foxtel HD.

Does it depend on your phone though?

When I'm out and about I use my phone to watch Fox Footy on Foxtel and it's brilliant quality. I have Foxtel HD on my TV so I can appreciate the difference of SD and HD of Foxtel.

WIth that said C7 I think only shows SD or has that changed whereas Foxtel is HD. However if the game is a C7 game you are only young to get SD quality even if you watch it on Foxtel HD.
It didn't do this on my phone last year.

It's not poorer quality, it looks ok and is running smoothly, but then just stops and blames my wifi.

I keep getting "your wifi is struggling" even though I have full signal and a 100 megabit connection.
good - that's what you get for such a good internet connection.. campaigner..

na, all channel 7 games were in actual HD on fox footy last year, not upscaled. the bastards (C7) finally started broadcasting in HD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back