Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 8, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong reserves,Falcons,
Of course I will cop it on this forum however I feel it needs to be debated.

All summer we heard his lean,quick and slimline he was.

He continually refused to take shots

Passed to people in worse position to himself

Is too selfless

Cannot breakway and leads too late

Leads too far up the ground

Other players who are in losing teams have far more influence such as Jack Riewoldt,Josh Bruce,hogan have more of an influence

Minimum should be 1 goal per quarter I think we need Vardy or Clark to assist as Stanley & Smith are pinch hitters at best.

To be goalless against the Bombers defence was pathetic .

No excuses now he has Dangerfield and caddy delivering into forward line the Hawkins from 2011 GF is only a memory

Well he's nowhere near as bad as Cloke and it's only round 3/4

I'll give him a chance before writting him off
Our delivery is a major problem here. Lots of long bombs.

Seriously? Why don't you read the game?

It was a stoppage ridden, stop start affair. Awful game. Hawkins had very little oppurtunity, as did Daniher. We won so few clearancess that Hawkins never really got a genuine one on one from a quick center break - inside 50. Hawkins has been very effective this year in the other games, not just on the score board.

Who would you have at FF instead?

Geelong were lazy, the game was barely VFL standard. Quit being emotional and judging players on such games. It's foolish.

Our delivery is a major problem here. Lots of long bombs.
Delivery and structure. One influences the other and has done for years. Stop playing a stupidly big and slow defense (thus allowing our mids to stay mids) and start playing a proper key forward with him and he will do better. We just continue to select sides that force us to play in a way that makes things impossibly difficult for Hawkins no matter who the opposition.

Then he gets frustrated (like alot of his mates) and yes starts to do things that do him no favors.

Last edited:
Delivery and structure. One influences the other and has done for years. Stop playing a stupidly big and slow defense (thus allowing our mids to stay mids) and start playing a proper key forward with him and he will do better. We just do and continue to go select sides that force us to play in a way that makes things impossibly difficult for Hawkins no matter who the opposition.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I agree on the defence, this is going to be a frustrating season at the selection panel, they won't drop Lonergan in his last year but won't leave any of the other 3 tall backs out either.

Our structure when going forward breaks down, no second forward and long bombs. Too easy to nullify, need to lower our eyes and have players lead at the footy.

I agree on the defence, this is going to be a frustrating season at the selection panel, they won't drop Lonergan in his last year but won't leave any of the other 3 tall backs out either.

Our structure when going forward breaks down, no second forward and long bombs. Too easy to nullify, need to lower our eyes and have players lead at the footy.

Or, to make it simple, we need to play a CHF. But that's been screamingly obvious all season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course I will cop it on this forum however I feel it needs to be debated.

All summer we heard his lean,quick and slimline he was.

He continually refused to take shots

Passed to people in worse position to himself

Is too selfless

Cannot breakway and leads too late

Leads too far up the ground

Other players who are in losing teams have far more influence such as Jack Riewoldt,Josh Bruce,hogan have more of an influence

Minimum should be 1 goal per quarter I think we need Vardy or Clark to assist as Stanley & Smith are pinch hitters at best.

To be goalless against the Bombers defence was pathetic .

No excuses now he has Dangerfield and caddy delivering into forward line the Hawkins from 2011 GF is only a memory
Hi Wrangler, their your views on Hawkins, not gunna tell you your wrong, we all have our own views on him. I think the answer would be to have someone
down just as dangerous as he is, because 1 on 1 he is a dangerous forward, Scott's tried to answer this by recruiting Clark.
And we would notice a difference if Kersten could take the extra step and Vardy finally get over injuries.
If this can't happen then we need a couple of small crumbers beneath him as tom nearly always has 2 players on him ,mayb he could knock it down to them.
GO CATS.

The reason this guy is ineffective is because of our coach. We play a defensive game that makes players push up the ground and even Hawkins. When it turns over everybody is caught out of position on the quick rebound and Hawkins is just far to slow for that game structure.

For a team of good offensive players we spend far to much time playing them defensively.

I'm on board for a new gane structure and if it take a new coach to do it so be it. With the new interchange caps we cant afford to be playing all players so far up the ground, we get tired and sloppy.

I've been saying it for months now. Hawkins is not the player he is made out to be. His 2014, 2015 and so far 2016 seasons were been average. I guess he does need support in another key forward, but we just can't get one on the park and it's hurt us for years now.

Would love to see him played forward.
o7x1oEZ.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back