Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

We should expect more dignified comments from supposed leaders in the football community. They represent 000's of members and fans and should be beyond the type of toilet humour you would normally hear in old school pubs. Maguire for years has been using his role as a 'media commentator' to disguise comments/opinions that would normally get him in hot water if acting in his 'role' as Collingwood president. He simply can't have it both ways and that's why he and Brayshaw find themselves in the s**t. They really don't know when to stop. Was explaining what happened to my daughter who is in high school and follows the footy. Basically told her that boofheads like Maguire, Brayshaw, Carey etc are like those protected jerks in high school that are good at football, soccer etc and strut around in the school yard teasing and bullying the 'nerds' and science geeks. She then understood that what the MMM clowns said was simply low rent.
What did she say about the 3AW dialogue? Or did you neglect to mention that?

We should come up with the definitive list of things that we can say, that doesn't offend political correctness.

If anyone can think of something that is allowed to be said these days, where someone somewhere won't twist into an offence to suit their own agenda, then list it here. I would hate to say anything that ever offended someone, so I need to know from the PC crowd what we am allowed to say in society.

If the risk is you may say the wrong thing, may I suggest following the hierarchy of control when it comes to managing risk.

1. Elimination - can you eliminate the risk i.e don't say anything at all
2. Substitute - can you substitute the wrong words for the right words
3. Isolate/Engineering controls - can you keep people away from the risk i.e say it in a sound proof booth
4. Administration controls - can you be trained to steer clear of the wrong thing i.e education
5. Personal Protective Equipment - can you wear something to minimise your risk if you do come into contact with the risk i.e a muzzle

Now you have to start from the top and choose the first one it is possible to do.

No Doubt about that. As mentioned above Everest level hypocrisy.

Integrity is doing the right thing even when it comes at a personal cost, not just when it suits you.
you have to be fair 7G, in the last 20 years or so Richmond may not have been a good footy club, i.e. a club that's good at footy, but they have been damned decent footy club in comparison to their big 4 peers.

The AFL boys club omerta is powerful, so to see senior players at the Tigers break the code on this, good on them.

If the risk is you may say the wrong thing, may I suggest following the hierarchy of control when it comes to managing risk.

1. Elimination - can you eliminate the risk i.e don't say anything at all
2. Substitute - can you substitute the wrong words for the right words
3. Isolate/Engineering controls - can you keep people away from the risk i.e say it in a sound proof booth
4. Administration controls - can you be trained to steer clear of the wrong thing i.e education
5. Personal Protective Equipment - can you wear something to minimise your risk if you do come into contact with the risk i.e a muzzle

Now you have to start from the top and choose the first one it is possible to do.
aarrrgh make it stop, I wasted half my day today on risk assessments!!

We should come up with the definitive list of things that we can say, that doesn't offend political correctness.

If anyone can think of something that is allowed to be said these days, where someone somewhere won't twist into an offence to suit their own agenda, then list it here. I would hate to say anything that ever offended someone, so I need to know from the PC crowd what we am allowed to say in society.
People are allowed to take offense to language if they want.
I agree that you should be able to say whatever you like in whatever context you like (and you can). But if somebody doesn't like what you say, or believes that it contributes towards a culture where violence against Women is deemed inevitable, then they are well within their right to voice that opinion too.

It has to go both ways. If you want the freedom to blurt out any opinion you want, then you have to accept that there will be those that want to call you out for that opinion. I dont believe that being offended entitles you to anything or automatically puts you in the right, but in this case i'd say the arguments against McGuires comments hold up pretty well, and the people defending those comments do not.

There is no doubt that there is too much violence in our community. There is also no doubt that most of that violence is perpetrated by males-against women, against men. There is quite a lot of evidence that suggests casually 'violent language' normalizes and trivializes unacceptable behaviour. So why wouldn't one take exception to it-just seems sensible. Plenty of other things Eddie can make jokes about.
To suggest its not such a big deal, well, makes me wonder if you don't understand bullying. Perhaps you have never been on the end of someone who doesn't like you, just making a 'joke' about you, or your child has never been in that position. If that had happened to you, or your child, you'd understand that when a bully is just having a bit of fun, that someone else isn't.

Consider how Hird and his family felt. Wilson didn't hound and bully him? or is that was ok cause of what happened at efc?

She did her job as a journalist. If she stepped out of line, she is open to libel or slander claims, she can have her professional integrity attacked (and it was).

Let's look at it from another perspective. Police suspect you of a crime, they haul you in, they question you multiple times, they try to extract a confession from you during that questioning. Are they bullying you or are they doing their job? They too have a set of guidelines to adhere to and if they go outside that you have recourse.

Damn proud of the Tigers tonight, especially that this came from senior players.
'Riewoldt said he had spoken to his partner about the comments, which made his position clear...if it was her in that situation..'
-Right to the heart of the matter.

On-field the usual shenanigans, but off-field my god the Tigers look good stood next to the Pies/EFC/Carlton.

The moral high ground is reaching Everest proportions.

What a croc of s**t, have you forgot about Dusty;s shenanigans

What about Caro's venom and malice that she writes as a journo?

Don't tell me that she isn't a man-hater.

Sigh. It .... is .... not ... the .... same .... thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was that joke a comment on torturing women? Don't be overdramatic.

The subtext was "We'll hold her under and she won't be able to do anything about it (because she's a woman and we're stronger)."

Entirely different context if they were talking about a bloke.

I'm not being over-dramatic. No crime has been committed, but the AFL gets a lot of mileage from these social policies and the comments were clearly in breach.

The AFL loses any credibility in preaching to me or anyone else on social issues by not handing out a punishment under the code.

you have to be fair 7G, in the last 20 years or so Richmond may not have been a good footy club, i.e. a club that's good at footy, but they have been damned decent footy club in comparison to their big 4 peers.

The AFL boys club omerta is powerful, so to see senior players at the Tigers break the code on this, good on them.
Shame they didn't show the same resolve over good old chopsticks. Doing the right thing now when it comes at no cost. Terrific.

The subtext was "We'll hold her under and she won't be able to do anything about it (because she's a woman and we're stronger)."

Entirely different context if they were talking about a bloke.

I'm not being over-dramatic. No crime has been committed, but the AFL gets a lot of mileage from these social policies and the comments were clearly in breach.

The AFL loses any credibility in preaching to me or anyone else on social issues by not handing out a punishment under the code.
Do you take exception to the fact the AFL neglected to mention the 3AW dialogue given the similar subtext?

aarrrgh make it stop, I wasted half my day today on risk assessments!!

I wish I could make it stop.

Just give me a small easy to run business somewhere away from the rat race. I won't need the extra income or stress.

She did her job as a journalist. If she stepped out of line, she is open to libel or slander claims, she can have her professional integrity attacked (and it was).

Let's look at it from another perspective. Police suspect you of a crime, they haul you in, they question you multiple times, they try to extract a confession from you during that questioning. Are they bullying you or are they doing their job? They too have a set of guidelines to adhere to and if they go outside that you have recourse.

If you say you are innocent and they continue bashing you, then yes it is bullying.

A very poor comparison

What about Caro's venom and malice that she writes as a journo?

Don't tell me that she isn't a man-hater.

You may have overlooked something.

Caro is an AFL journalist.

All the players are men, all the Coaches are men, all the important support staff are men...in fact the whole industry is probably 99.8% male dominated.

So if Caro writes an opinion piece, criticism or "venom and malice" as you put it, there's a fair chance it's going to be about a male.

How dare she, eh???

Bloody man hater!

So, you are against Eddie saying that Caro should "stay under", and then you say that this person should have drowned at birth.

What's the difference?

So, on one hand, you bag Eddie for saying that Caro "should stay under", yet you tell this poster that they should have drowned at birth. What's the difference, hypocrite?

How do you know that the poster isn't female, so you are telling a female this, and it makes you no better than you accuse Eddie and co of being?

What's worse, you are a mod. You are supposed to stop bullying on this site, not incite it. Maybe time to hang things up if you can't conduct yourself properly. I am offended on behalf f this poster, so since I am offended, I am right and you are wrong.

But then, you will probably mod me for calling you out. I forgot, mods on this site are like umpires and women, completely unaccountable and immune from any criticism whatsoever. You would fit right in working for the AFL.

Oh dear. Did you read past that line? Is your comprehension turned on?

Did you read the recipients response to the post? Did they object? Why not?

That hierarchy of control is still a viable option btw.

True that.

Wilson herself played a not insignificant role in further traumatising “Tracy”. Not long after Martin called Tracy and offered an apology, Wilson all but identified the victim, which led to her receiving vile online abuse, including death threats. Today, an understandably upset Tracy called out the hypocrisy of those within the football world who failed her.

“I find it laughable that Caroline Wilson is so outraged by Eddie’s clearly tongue-in-cheek remark and claims that ‘a line needs to be drawn in the sand against violent comments against women’. This is the same woman who had no problem with identifying me as a victim on radio after one of her beloved Richmond players slammed a fist in to the wall next to my head,” she said.​

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...s/news-story/0494742093ee8b7ea5069edb7e01c6db
Lol Carrow will do anything for a bit of me time.

If you say you are innocent and they continue bashing you, then yes it is bullying.

A very poor comparison

Who said anything about bashing? What?

Are you suggesting that as soon as you say you are innocent, the police should cease suspecting you and pursuing their line of questioning?

Will take care of the prison overcrowding problem, but the crime solving rate is going to plummet.

What a croc of s**t, have you forgot about Dusty;s shenanigans
Didn't the Tigers call in the AFL and the AFL the Police? Not sure what else we could have done, had to accept the decision of the Police.

Look, I hope the Freo players make a stand on this as well, and Collingwood's players for that matter. The more teams join in, the easier it is for others, I'm just saying, it's always hard to be the first to speak up, so well done Jack Riewoldt et alia.

Who said anything about bashing? What?

Are you suggesting that as soon as you say you are innocent, the police should cease suspecting you and pursuing their line of questioning?

Will take care of the prison overcrowding problem, but the crime solving rate is going to plummet.

I said something about police bashing from personal experience.

You are grandstanding

Wow, now we are discussing prison overcrowding because Eddie made a gaffe

You PC leftie whackos never fail to deliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Back