Review Positives & Negatives R20 V Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Really?

Theres an entire thread devoted to this - at the eagles there is no statute of limitation

This is so true, Eagles supporters offer more excuses for their players than any club ever.
The AFL is supposed to be the best of the best, you either can or you can't.
Unfortunately the AFL is somewhat of a glorified Colts competition, such a large number of players on each clubs lists who should not be playing at this level as they are not ready.

Long time reader first time poster....but dare say the over/under reaction on here is ridico.
Two have to cents on Tunners, certainly the bias on here before the game was for him to fail. Sure he made a couple of glaring errors - but the three or four really great things he did are simply discounted.
- kicked a great goal
- made a very clever pass to Priddis and not bombed long that ultimately set up a goal
- great handball to a streaming Hill after a one touch pick in start of Q2 - which Hill mucked up the entry to 50.

Seen a lot of this guy after covering the WAFL from seasons 12-14, and if he gets a run at it injury free is most definitely an AFL player. Clearly rated by Simpson too.
In my opinion a player that can have a great impact on a game without needing 20+ touches. As example he was best on for Perth the week before he debuted for WCE in last round of 2013. Had 12 touches. Won the game for them in 3 passages of play within 5 mins that resulted in one possesion (and goal) for Tunners.

At the end of the day not sure what people expect. I mean had a great 2013 in the WAFL and debuted at 19/20 yo. On the fringes in 2014 at WC (mostly one quarter sub appearances) after a few injuires saw him miss patches during the year. Serious season ending injury in R2 2015 after working his way into best 22. Came from a long long way back this year steadily improving his form since first playing WAFL reserves in about R8.

Still clearly getting used to the speed, which is to be expected, and isnt the only WC player to not be clean or make a bonehead errors this year. Seems like people expect these great games first up, and especially for a guy in his 9th afl game (and his approx 10th game at any level in 2yrs) - they need continuity and time. If he stays in for the rest of the year, i reckon that improvement will become apparant.
I'll put my hand up and say I was one who thought that'll do me for Tunbridge but since watching the game again I'm not sure. The guy certainly has pace and skill, if he could find it 15 times a game he could be a real contributor.

If there is any chance we want to keep him though he just has to play out the last three H&A games, however much he may not quite deserve it. He's had long enough and it's time for him to either turn into a player or disappear.

This is so true, Eagles supporters offer more excuses for their players than any club ever.
The AFL is supposed to be the best of the best, you either can or you can't.
Unfortunately the AFL is somewhat of a glorified Colts competition, such a large number of players on each clubs lists who should not be playing at this level as they are not ready.
As I recall this was one of the arguments against bringing in the expansion clubs. The fact the top-end talent pool seemed to be thin as it was and would be pushed closer to anorexic conditions.

Personally I think it's a bit more nuanced than that, but every club (and definitely it's supporters) could argue the bottom end talent that makes up a team list is scraping the proverbial.
Long time reader first time poster....but dare say the over/under reaction on here is ridico.
Two have to cents on Tunners, certainly the bias on here before the game was for him to fail. Sure he made a couple of glaring errors - but the three or four really great things he did are simply discounted.
- kicked a great goal
- made a very clever pass to Priddis and not bombed long that ultimately set up a goal
- great handball to a streaming Hill after a one touch pick in start of Q2 - which Hill mucked up the entry to 50.

Seen a lot of this guy after covering the WAFL from seasons 12-14, and if he gets a run at it injury free is most definitely an AFL player. Clearly rated by Simpson too.
In my opinion a player that can have a great impact on a game without needing 20+ touches. As example he was best on for Perth the week before he debuted for WCE in last round of 2013. Had 12 touches. Won the game for them in 3 passages of play within 5 mins that resulted in one possesion (and goal) for Tunners.

At the end of the day not sure what people expect. I mean had a great 2013 in the WAFL and debuted at 19/20 yo. On the fringes in 2014 at WC (mostly one quarter sub appearances) after a few injuires saw him miss patches during the year. Serious season ending injury in R2 2015 after working his way into best 22. Came from a long long way back this year steadily improving his form since first playing WAFL reserves in about R8.

Still clearly getting used to the speed, which is to be expected, and isnt the only WC player to not be clean or make a bonehead errors this year. Seems like people expect these great games first up, and especially for a guy in his 9th afl game (and his approx 10th game at any level in 2yrs) - they need continuity and time. If he stays in for the rest of the year, i reckon that improvement will become apparant.

Welcome. Don't know that I agree with you necessarily but it's nice to have a fairly well laid out POV to consider.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

As I recall this was one of the arguments against bringing in the expansion clubs. The fact the top-end talent pool seemed to be thin as it was and would be pushed closer to anorexic conditions.

Personally I think it's a bit more nuanced than that, but every club (and definitely it's supporters) could argue the bottom end talent that makes up a team list is scraping the proverbial.

Welcome. Don't know that I agree with you necessarily but it's nice to have a fairly well laid out POV to consider.

It's funny that everyone believes the gap between the AFL and the WAFL is huge yet these AFL players struggle to excel at WAFL level. You would think they would tear it up at WAFL level but they really struggle there as well.

Just watched the replay.

Positives:
+ JK
+ Hurn showing some intent. Got involved in everything and some lovely delivery.
+ Shuey just f***ing trying hard and getting to contest after contest. He is a tough little s**t. Not the biggest by any stretch but doesn't take a backward step.
+ Darling's handballs. Hhmnnffh!
+ Barrass.
+ Nelson. May be frail and not AFL standard but there's something about him. I'm an unashamed fan. I've liked Butler for a long time but I think Nelson gives us something more now.
+ Lycett's poise when he has the ball in hand, has a few times just held on to it for a second for things to open up....instead of doing what some of his mates do, dish off to the first person they see.
+ Gov's distribution. We go on about his intercept marking but he is SUCH a good user of the ball, to the point where I would rather have him with the ball in hand than Hurn or Wellingham.

Negs
- Darling's boot stops. How many f***ing times has he lost his feet in the last month?? FFS!! Fix that s**t!
- Took too long to get into the game. It'll be curtains against our next three opponents by quarter time if we let it happen.
- LeCras. Three goals notwithstanding, he butchered a few opportunities for goal, just looks off the pace.
- Lycett's kicking from Mark's/free kicks. Poor choices/execution.
- Gaff. Tagged out of game, and that happens, but didn't see him once try to sacrifice his game by laying a block or Sheppard at a stoppage to give the others a shot. Kept trying to run around for the cheap receive with tagger right on his arse. Thankfully players resisted (even Priddis). And F*** me, he loves to be on posters doesn't he? Usually, with a knee to the back of the head while someone takes a speccy.
- Fluffing certain goal opportunities. EVERY. SINGLE GAME. We'd be streaming in 4 on 1 or have to get the ball over the top, or get the ball over the top and have to just catch it and kick it...or whatever. We find a way to f*** up certain goals every game.

Edit:
+ Solid, if not fantastic, win which is what I was hoping for.
- Building my hopes up coming into the next three games.

Last edited:
It's funny that everyone believes the gap between the AFL and the WAFL is huge yet these AFL players struggle to excel at WAFL level. You would think they would tear it up at WAFL level but they really struggle there as well.
Good point. I think their argument was that the bottom of an AFL list would essentially be made up of talent that would normally reach their ceiling at state league level but get a chance due to the availability of spots on an AFL list.

- kicked a great goal

Good post. I think a lot of us around here are guilty of expecting too much too soon from players, as we've been gifted in this regard

Shuey; second in the rising star, kicked 5 goals out of the middle in his 15th game
Sheed; third in the rising star
Gov; won the game against GC for us in his third game. all australian squad after around 30 games
Darling; had everyone drooling after his first four games with the manic pressure he brought and had a 50+ goal season in his second year
Gaff; averaged nearly 25 disposals and kicked 13 goals in his second year
Barrass; has shown glimpses of dominance already
Nicnat; 3 goals in a quarter against the reigning premiers in his second game
etc.

On the flipside, guys like Sheppard and Lycett took a much longer time to develop, but have reached (or are on track to) similar lofty heights.

It's hard when the match committee doesn't want to give young blokes an extended run in the team, but yeah, we probably expect too much of some young players too soon.

Good post. I think a lot of us around here are guilty of expecting too much too soon from players, as we've been gifted in this regard

Shuey; second in the rising star, kicked 5 goals out of the middle in his 15th game
Sheed; third in the rising star
Gov; won the game against GC for us in his third game. all australian squad after around 30 games
Darling; had everyone drooling after his first four games with the manic pressure he brought and had a 50+ goal season in his second year
Gaff; averaged nearly 25 disposals and kicked 13 goals in his second year
Barrass; has shown glimpses of dominance already
Nicnat; 3 goals in a quarter against the reigning premiers in his second game
etc.

On the flipside, guys like Sheppard and Lycett took a much longer time to develop, but have reached (or are on track to) similar lofty heights.

It's hard when the match committee doesn't want to give young blokes an extended run in the team, but yeah, we probably expect too much of some young players too soon.

It is difficult sometimes because the AFL has become a glorified Colts competition when in actual fact it is the best of the best competition. Way to many players are picked to play in the AFL when they are not ready.
I don't think it is a lot to ask of a supporter watching a best of the best competition to think all players should be able to perform their role, young players in the 70's and 80's were picked to play when they were deemed to be ready, they were expected to perform and if they didn't they were rightfully dropped. There was none of this give him 50 games to work it out as we have now.
So many of our players not in our best 22 struggle in the WAFL, they certainly don't tear the WAFL apart so how on earth are they going to impact an AFL game? they are not good enough to do it.
It is not their fault they were selected, it is the system which is wrong. We see it in the WAFL that young kids V seasoned men players struggle, then they put them in the AFL and wonder why they can't get a kick.

It is difficult sometimes because the AFL has become a glorified Colts competition when in actual fact it is the best of the best competition. Way to many players are picked to play in the AFL when they are not ready.
I don't think it is a lot to ask of a supporter watching a best of the best competition to think all players should be able to perform their role, young players in the 70's and 80's were picked to play when they were deemed to be ready, they were expected to perform and if they didn't they were rightfully dropped. There was none of this give him 50 games to work it out as we have now.
So many of our players not in our best 22 struggle in the WAFL, they certainly don't tear the WAFL apart so how on earth are they going to impact an AFL game? they are not good enough to do it.
It is not their fault they were selected, it is the system which is wrong. We see it in the WAFL that young kids V seasoned men players struggle, then they put them in the AFL and wonder why they can't get a kick.

It's for this reason I want larger list sizes. You need young players developing and it's fine to give them a taste but when some bottom sides play 10+ players who aren't physically ready it's a disgrace. There are a also a fair few guys who play amateurs in country leagues and make day trips because the money on offer is double/triple or more than they would get in the wafl. I'd prefer lists of 60 odd players and a genuine reserves side playing in the wafl.

It's for this reason I want larger list sizes. You need young players developing and it's fine to give them a taste but when some bottom sides play 10+ players who aren't physically ready it's a disgrace. There are a also a fair few guys who play amateurs in country leagues and make day trips because the money on offer is double/triple or more than they would get in the wafl. I'd prefer lists of 60 odd players and a genuine reserves side playing in the wafl.

There has always been players who chase coin in the bush and in amateurs but it is more to do with the workload required for WAFL than the money, Most WAFL league players are doing a minimum 5 sessions a week training which is a big commitment compared top what they are paid. Having said that a WAFL club has a salary cap of 360K for their players so Most League players would be on reasonable money per game.
The WAFL salary cap should be much higher though, they are semi pro players who put a lot of work into what they do with little reward and these very little exposure.

Interesting comment. Duggan (this year) and Sheed (2014) have had games pumped into them despite not deserving it at all. Nelson has been persevered with since he was drafted, and Barrass has been given plenty of opportunities. Lamb is probably the only one you could make a case for over the past 3 years for not getting much of a gig but personally I don't really care about Lamb. I think we've had a good balance of blooding youth considering we've been a 'top-half' team for 5 of the past 6 seasons.

Interesting comment. Duggan (this year) and Sheed (2014) have had games pumped into them despite not deserving it at all. Nelson has been persevered with since he was drafted, and Barrass has been given plenty of opportunities. Lamb is probably the only one you could make a case for over the past 3 years for not getting much of a gig but personally I don't really care about Lamb. I think we've had a good balance of blooding youth considering we've been a 'top-half' team for 5 of the past 6 seasons.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a lamb

SpaceClef

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sorry, perhaps I wasnt clear. What I meant was more that its no good bringing in, for example, Karpany for one game, only to drop him again the next week. I think that if a player has earned a senior spot, that they should be given at least 3 games to show what they can do. No good bringing them in for one week, expecting them to tear it up, then dropping them when they don't. In the Karpany example, I think that he showed enough to warrant a second match in the side.

- kicked a great goal

On the money!!

Yeah sorry, perhaps I wasnt clear. What I meant was more that its no good bringing in, for example, Karpany for one game, only to drop him again the next week. I think that if a player has earned a senior spot, that they should be given at least 3 games to show what they can do. No good bringing them in for one week, expecting them to tear it up, then dropping them when they don't. In the Karpany example, I think that he showed enough to warrant a second match in the side.

Yeah okay gotcha. I think Simpon is caught between wanting to blood kids but is trying to scrape every win he can this season. That being said LeCras should have been dropped before Karpany even if I'm not sold on the latter as an AFL prospect.

I heard Darling was trying to mark the ball but sensed some contact from behind, threw his head back and accidentally ended up handballing the footy in an 80m torp that went straight through the big sticks, and landed twelve rows behind the cheer squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back