Toast Thanks for everything Sauce!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He deserves a thread of his own to celebrate his career now that he has announced his retirement:(:(:(:( Thanks for everything Dan! A loyal servant of 14 years who gave his all for all 198 games(And counting) and it is truly a disgrace the way some Lions fans have turned on him as his form has dropped off later in his career whilst he played on with pain for the sole purpose of helping the team out. The ultimate team man who has been very popular around the club, part of the leadership group for years and accepted modest salaries for the benefit of the team. Was quite a decent defender from 2007-2012/2013(Can't exactly recall when his form dropped off). I am glad he got to play in the 2 finals matches in 2009.

This will be a sad day for those fans(Such as my nephew) who started following the Lions as little kids just after the premiership days around 2005 as big Rog is the last remaining player from the new cubs who came to the club just after the premiership days(Adcock, Sherman, Corrie, Selwood, McDonald, Stiller, Drummond, Moody, Roe, Patfull ect.) and he deserves to be the last remaining player from that era as he played with heart and passion during a very dark period for our club.

Good luck in your life post footy Dan! You've got lot's to look forward to with a great young family and you will be remembered fondly by the majority of Lions fans as a Lion through and through!

Last edited:

Said some nice stuff in his retirement speech. A highlight:

“For the last 12 years I’ve been playing seniors we haven’t had a whole deal of success. It’s been pretty tough but I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

“How can you complain about this job? I’ve never taken it for granted. It’s shown this year with Jase (Justin) Clarke something can be taken away from you in a second.

“When I got drafted, I was a bit of a spud. I was probably taken on potential more than anything. I’m pretty proud of where I’ve come from.”

Ah, Rog. Sad not to be seeing you bulldozing your way through the backline and taking out at least 2 players along the way. Loved your strong presence in the backline and loved watching you over the years. All the best for the future :thumbsu:

Has been one of my favourites over the years. Always love a defensive player with heart and physicality who plays beyond his skill level. Thanks for everything Rog, you've been a fantastic player and person for this club. Very happy to see him continuing on with the club, especially in a welfare capacity with a bit of development work. Seems like a very relate-able laid back guy who I think will do very well in that sort of role. Really hopes he makes it to the 200 mark in his last two games.

One of the few non premiership stalwarts we've had to say goodbye to, hopefully a decent number of people get out to say farewell.

This one hurts :( One of the first real notable emotional retirements without a premiership medal to soothe the pain.

One of the truly great servants and individuals at the club in the post premiership era. And as fullback, did a mountain of work and carried the can for a lot of fan frustration due to failings of the team as a whole in recent years. I think if some of those critics knew the significant pain you have played with in recent years, they'd hold their tongues a bit.

One of my real favourites and I am proud that I sponsored you the year you shot up from nowhere as a defender.

Has a huge heart and will be a great asset to Lambert in welfare.

I'm gonna miss you Sauce. The club is much better for your contribution.

I hung him out to dry a bit at parts of that game just gone by so I feel a bit rotten to read of this news now but yeah, thanks very much for your service Rog. We needed a big body across the back line and he provided it. We occasionally needed another big body in the midfield, and he gave that a solid effort too. In fact he got jerked around a fair bit with that whole go forward - no go back - no go forward again when Voss was in town as well, and I imagine it would've been a pain it the arse to keep trying to find form in directly competing roles while trying to compete at the professional level - yet he made it his job week in and week out.

I'm super glad he's sticking around and helping with player welfare, I understand he's quite well respected by the boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man I won't forget that start to the 2011 season that he had, was in All Australian form and just nullifying everything that came near him. Kept us in a lot of games but unfortunately injury cut short his season.

Absolutely loved the big lad throwing his weight around on the field and he was pure class off it. He can be proud of the career he forged.

It was always going to be this year. But still sad its come. He is someone that has proven you dont need all the talent in the world to be competitive. Not the best going around but not the worst. Will miss you rog.

Now the hard task of replacing J Clarke and D Merret.

Is going to be sorely missed in that young backline.
Will probably make the bloke who sits behind me happy though who is forever giving Rog a bake, even got into him for not chasing the ball hard enough on the wing on the weekend. Pity it was Josh Walker and Rog had been the bloke who got the clearance!
Have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times off the field, and my wife who had sent a case of cancer packing was fortunate enough to spend some time with the playing group put on by the club - Rog was assigned to look after her. A nicer human you could not want to meet. We hung around after the Anzac Day match in Wellington to have a chat to him and he was good enough to come over and say hello and chat for about 10 minutes. It was freezing, the bus was ready to go, he didnt have to but he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back