Preview Round 1 2017 - Essendon hosting Melbourne on a Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

VanDemonxx

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apparently the AFL set to grant the Bonbers' wish and give them a home Friday night game against Melbourne for the banned players to be welcomed back. We will probably lose as you will be riding a lot of momentum and crowd hype. But I'll take any Friday night game we can get! McCluggage/McGrath could easily be in that Bombers team by round 1. Anyway...

Bombers best 22 2017- (off Essendon Board)

B: Baguley - Hartley - Kelly
HB: Goddard - Hurley - Francis
C: Colyer - Watson - Zaharakis
HF: Laverde - Daniher - Tippin-Wutti
FF: Stewart - Hooker - Fantasia
R: Luenberger - Zerrett - Heppell
I/C Langford - Myers - Parish - Gleeson

Demons best 22 2017

B: Jetta - O. McDonald - Hibberd
HB: Salem - T.McDonald - Hunt
C: Stretch - Lewis - Vince
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Kent
FF: Watts - Weideman - Garlett
R: Gawn - Jones - Viney
I/C: Frost - Brayshaw - Tyson - Oliver / Melksham

Who wins????

Essendon wanting to have their cake and eat it. Keen for a bottom 4 draw that involves easy double-up matches, but want the perks (Friday nights, blockbusters, etc.) that go to better sides.

Don't think anything's confirmed yet, but disappointing if it happens. Couldn't care less about the doping scandal - blockbusters should go to clubs whose on-field performances actually warrant them.

How stupid are the AFL that they would want to celebrate the return of players banned from the game for taking banned substances? Are we the only sport in the world who can't see how bad such a notion looks?

I can understand the Essendon supporters wanting to celebrate it but why would the AFL agree to make it a friday night event? Especially when there is already so much anger and disappointment with that whole saga and the way it was handled..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How stupid are the AFL that they would want to celebrate the return of players banned from the game for taking banned substances? Are we the only sport in the world who can't see how bad such a notion looks.

I can understand the Essendon supporters wanting to celebrate it but why would the AFL agree to make it a friday night event. Especially when there is already so much anger and disappointment with that whole saga and the way it was handled..

I personally wouldn't care when it was played.

I don't care if it is Sunday twilight. As long as we get a home game in rnd 1 for once I'll be happy.

I can understand neutral supporters not wanting it on prime-time. I get that.

I agree that Essendon should get very few big games. Considering they get ANZAC Day and Dreamtime, they should only be getting this at max (Carlton in 2016 only got the season opener, no other Friday nights, after spooning in 2015).

But I don't really care about the drugs. That was 2012. Hird, Hamilton, Evans, Dank, Robinson...who really gives a *, they are all gone. As for the players, they have been suspended by WADA, done their time. Why would you get upset over it, it's over?

I agree that Essendon should get very few big games. Considering they get ANZAC Day and Dreamtime, they should only be getting this at max (Carlton in 2016 only got the season opener, no other Friday nights, after spooning in 2015).

But I don't really care about the drugs. That was 2012. Hird, Hamilton, Evans, Dank, Robinson...who really gives a ****, they are all gone. As for the players, they have been suspended by WADA, done their time. Why would you get upset over it, it's over?

After the fixture you copped this year, it's only fair that Essendon can expect the same treatment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back