Preview Round 1 2017 - Essendon hosting Melbourne on a Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

14 of the last 16 round 1 games EFC have played have been away games.

Any other club come close to that?

I don't know about round 1, but 11 of our last 12 games against you have been Essendon home games.

I wouldn't be so sure our team full off has beens and rookies beat them already.

This is such a stupid way to look at things. One off games don't reflect the standings of the two teams, would have thought your fans would know that after we beat you in 2012 and 2014 despite winning less than 5 games in both years.

I'd expect Essendon to whip themselves into a frenzy again like round 2 2016, however if we actually turn up on the day and take them seriously we will still win by 2-3 goals.

Piss poor from the afl. Friday night is for showcase football. So they open the season by giving the first friday night home game to a back to back bottom 4 team

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footscray will probably get Sunday Twilight even after being premiers lol

maybe an attempt to make the time slot relevant, but hard to do if its on bloody Foxtel

AFL will probably fixture something lame for Round 1, like this

Thu
Carlton v Richmond - MCG (N)
Fri
Essendon v Melbourne - MCG (N)
Sat
Hawthorn v Brisbane - MCG
Gold Coast v Sydney - MS (T)
Adelaide v North Melbourne - AO (N)
West Coast v Collingwood - DS (N)
Sun
GWS Giants v Fremantle - MO (E)
Geelong v Port Adelaide - SS
Bulldogs v St.Kilda - ES (T)

Last edited:
This is such a stupid way to look at things. One off games don't reflect the standings of the two teams, would have thought your fans would know that after we beat you in 2012 and 2014 despite winning less than 5 games in both years.

I'd expect Essendon to whip themselves into a frenzy again like round 2 2016, however if we actually turn up on the day and take them seriously we will still win by 2-3 goals.
One thing we've learned is that the underdog gets up. Literally the only exception since 2010 is 2013. So actually, the better team winning is a once off thing.

2015 you lost to the top ups in the preseaon, then a bunch of kids on a slide in the actual season. Then to half a team early in 2016 season ( where we went on to lose the next 17 games before we actually stabilised).

Melbourne will probably be favourites and are the better team.

Essendon by 15

Essendon set to be given Round 1 prime time blockbuster when banned players return

7ac3bb9b13b2cc8a49071b2c68a264bf

JOBE Watson and his suspended Essendon teammates will return from their drug bans in a prime time MCG blockbuster next season.

The AFL is set to grant Essendon’s wish for a home Round 1 game and is close to locking in its opponent – either Melbourne or Hawthorn.

The Bombers will invite their army of supporters to march from Federation Square to the game as one to welcome back their heroes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/7ac3bb9b13b2cc8a49071b2c68a264bf

Don't mind Essendon supporters being excited for their players coming back (have every right to), but come on AFL. Seriously?

Essendon does have legitimate claims over a Round 1 home game.

For those not away, the last time Essendon had a home game (and no we are not talking an away game in Melbourne either - a game where Essendon is the home side), was against North Melbourne in 2011.

It has nothing to with form of the team or anything else. It is because it is Essendon's turn this time.

The club is already putting in train events for the match itself, whether it's Melbourne or Hawthorn.

Round 1 is not on Easter this coming season so that frees Hawthorn up to play us in the match. Easter is 14-17 April so most likely Round 4.

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/australia/2017

I actually have a Round 1 mock fixture:

Thursday March 23
Carlton v Richmond (MCG 7.50) Expected attendance - 80000

Friday March 24
Essendon v Melbourne (MCG 7.50) Expected attendance - 75000

Saturday March 25
Western Bulldogs v Sydney (Etihad 1.45) Expected attendance - 45000
North Melbourne v Fremantle (Hobart 2.10) Expected attendance - 15000
Collingwood v Hawthorn (MCG 7.20) Expected attendance - 75000
Adelaide v West Coast (AO 7.40) Expected attendance - 50000

Sunday March 26