Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Economic policy too. Not many of the meek are getting an inheritance from this government, they seem far more concerned about the money lenders.
Good point you raise. I don't claim be an expert on economic policy but I definitely feel we could be kinder. Maybe sometimes these politicians are focused on the party room rather than God.

Because we are not reflecting Christ. I always aim to be a reflection of Christ but I'm a sinner and I fall short.

onward-christian-soldiers.gif

Good point you raise. I don't claim be an expert on economic policy but I definitely feel we could be kinder. Maybe sometimes these politicians are focused on the party room rather than God.
Perhaps they've forsaken God for Mammon, and only tote their bibles when it comes to telling a woman what she can, and can't do with her body, or stopping gay people being wed.

I was sincerely hoping you were an educated Christian, bringing in theological debate, quoting scripture and the like. Religion is one of the most studied topics in the history of mankind and as you are appointing yourself a representative of whatever branch of Christianity you adhere to I was hoping you would have a deep understanding. I mean, I appreciate your effort, but you are opening yourself to ridicule. simply saying we aren't like Christ, and 'because of God' as you did earlier is slightly insulting to the men and women who spent decades of their lives studying what their religion means to them.

May I ask what denomination you belong to? Or are you more of an ecumenical Christian?

I was sincerely hoping you were an educated Christian, bringing in theological debate, quoting scripture and the like. Religion is one of the most studied topics in the history of mankind and as you are appointing yourself a representative of whatever branch of Christianity you adhere to I was hoping you would have a deep understanding. I mean, I appreciate your effort, but you are opening yourself to ridicule. simply saying we aren't like Christ, and 'because of God' as you did earlier is slightly insulting to the men and women who spent decades of their lives studying what their religion means to them.

May I ask what denomination you belong to? Or are you more of an ecumenical Christian?

Actually, I reckon a humble, uneducated Christian is a far better representative of Christ's message....The less indoctrinated BS, the better.

Like Turnbull and Shorten who both attend church and are in support of marriage equality?
I'm thinking more of the conservative rump in the Liberal Party, for a bunch of self identifying Christians, there's a massive disconnect between their policy positions, and biblical teaching.

Perhaps they've forsaken God for Mammon, and only tote their bibles when it comes to telling a woman what she can, and can't do with her body, or stopping gay people being wed.
Great point. That is why I voted Australian Christians (not to be confused with Christian democrats) because whether are mot you agree with Christian views at least they are consistent.

If you read the opening post I said that this thread is not about theological debate. Nor do I claim to be representative or a spokesman for any particular denomination. As mentioned I attend a Presbyterian Church but just consider myself a Christian.

I'm thinking more of the conservative rump in the Liberal Party, for a bunch of self identifying Christians, there's a massive disconnect between their policy positions, and biblical teaching.
So you have fallen for the same trap that daesh sets for Muslims, represent the hardline ultra conservative interpretation of the faith is if it is the only one to tar everyone with the same brush. By all means mock the conservative rump of the liberal party but don't simply say all Christian mp's are that way inclined. I know a Catholic MP who personally very conservative in their own behaviours (non drinking smoking swearing or gambling, prudish beyond all belief really) but says that while his faith represents his personal choices, as a representative he has to follow the will of the people and most importantly respect that people have a freedom of will and should never have religion pushed upon them just like he wouldn't like it pushed upon him...so he supports marriage equality, abortion rights and so on.

I can remember being in a meeting room where religion teachers were discussions the curriculum they will teach for the year in a catholic school and the key understanding everyone took from the meeting was never to teach the bible literally, never to foster fundamentalism and to treat the book and its traditions as something to be interpreted in a way that brings out personal morals and messages, and that notions of love, charity and respect should be heavily emphasised. When the question was asked of marriage equality it was a difficult one, everyone in the room supported it but knew the official church stance was against it...thus it was decided to first teach love and importantly the idea of the golden rule first...then explain the official potition only if it is asked (so the one or two hardline families amongst the thousand who send their kids to the school know the official position is taught)... but however back that up with the gift of free will each person is given and how love is crucial to everything we hold dear and should be encouraged. It wasn't satisfactory to any of them admittedly...and I spoke to a few after who said they would state their personal position in class anyway as a way of comforting their students despite what repercussions it may entail.

From personal experiences, the vast majority in the Catholic faith under the age of 50 are probably who some would call leaning to the left politically simply because of the idea that "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is their guiding principle. Sure they live conservatively personally but who are they to say what others should be doing if they are not causing anyone else harm?

But if you want to get stuck into the Australian Christian Lobby and the DLP then be my guest.

So you have fallen for the same trap that daesh sets for Muslims, represent the hardline ultra conservative interpretation of the faith is if it is the only one to tar everyone with the same brush. By all means mock the conservative rump of the liberal party but don't simply say all Christian mp's are that way inclined. I know a Catholic MP who personally very conservative in their own behaviours (non drinking smoking swearing or gambling, prudish beyond all belief really) but says that while his faith represents his personal choices, as a representative he has to follow the will of the people and most importantly respect that people have a freedom of will and should never have religion pushed upon them just like he wouldn't like it pushed upon him...so he supports marriage equality, abortion rights and so on.

I can remember being in a meeting room where religion teachers were discussions the curriculum they will teach for the year in a catholic school and the key understanding everyone took from the meeting was never to teach the bible literally, never to foster fundamentalism and to treat the book and its traditions as something to be interpreted in a way that brings out personal morals and messages, and that notions of love, charity and respect should be heavily emphasised. When the question was asked of marriage equality it was a difficult one, everyone in the room supported it but knew the official church stance was against it...thus it was decided to first teach love and importantly the idea of the golden rule first...then explain the official potition only if it is asked (so the one or two hardline families amongst the thousand who send their kids to the school know the official position is taught)... but however back that up with the gift of free will each person is given and how love is crucial to everything we hold dear and should be encouraged. It wasn't satisfactory to any of them admittedly...and I spoke to a few after who said they would state their personal position in class anyway as a way of comforting their students despite what repercussions it may entail.

From personal experiences, the vast majority in the Catholic faith under the age of 50 are probably who some would call leaning to the left politically simply because of the idea that "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is their guiding principle. Sure they live conservatively personally but who are they to say what others should be doing if they are not causing anyone else harm?

But if you want to get stuck into the Australian Christian Lobby and the DLP then be my guest.
I don't think I said all Christian MP's are that way inclined. I am conservative in some areas but def not all, see my posts on refugees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gough's line of questioning has nailed what I was trying to get at earlier. The disconnect between self professed Christians and their actions. Why aren't they called out when they kick the disadvantaged in the guts. It's like hearing a Hawthorn supporter say "Cyril doesn't chase hard enough".

Gough's line of questioning has nailed what I was trying to get at earlier. The disconnect between self professed Christians and their actions. Why aren't they called out when they kick the disadvantaged in the guts. It's like hearing a Hawthorn supporter say "Cyril doesn't chase hard enough".
Totally agree. I definitely think they should be.

Because we are not reflecting Christ. I always aim to be a reflection of Christ but I'm a sinner and I fall short.

You present yourself as being so humble in this post, but then you write this:
There are many different faiths around the world and different faiths beliefs different things, some believe there are multiple Gods. Speaking for Christanity It all changed because of the reformation 500 years ago which occurred because Martin Luthor believed the Catholic church had move away from the Bible.

On wars when Christians are involved in starting conflict they are not obeying Christ they are actually disobeying him

I don't think Christians feel the need to control others, I certainly don't. I do however defend my right in a democratic society to have an opinion and I believe Christians are just as entitled as anyone else to express an opinion.

This would appear to indicate that you have an insight into the workings of the mind of a man who never wrote anything, and who died over 2,000 years ago. This is a remarkable claim and its inherent hubris seems at odds with your claims of humility. You think yourself to be someone special because you have a relationship with a cadaver.

You certainly have every right to expose your opinions in a democratic society. It's such a pity that the opinions you have expressed are, in fact, not yours at all. Every paragraph you have written in this thread reeks of rote learning and mindless regurgitation of that with which you have been so successfully inculcated. Such a pity those opinions you think need to be heard aren't your own.

Is Martin Luthor related to Lex?

Yes I do have an insight into his teaching through the Bible and yes I live my life for him and my identity is in Christ absolutely.

Yes I do have an insight into his teaching through the Bible and yes I live my life for him and my identity is in Christ absolutely.

How did this identity of yours come about?

Was it passed down to you, in which case it wouldn't really be your identity. You'd be simply following others' followings, or....
Did you find religion off your own accord and if so, what 'science' did you use to come to the conclusion for your god?

Using words belief, faith, trust don't count.

How did this identity of yours come about?

Was it passed down to you, in which case it wouldn't really be your identity. You'd be simply following others' followings, or....
Did you find religion off your own accord and if so, what 'science' did you use to come to the conclusion for your god?

Using words belief, faith, trust don't count

A bit like all the other words in your post.

Your entitled to your opinion. Obviously I disagree but have a great Christmas.

Its just the sheer number of belief institutions.
The sheer number of belief variations & opinions held by groups & individuals.
The way they have changed over time. They are like a fashion that comes & goes. The way they have attacked each other. The way they interpret 'the' truth. The way they expedite social control within & without their groups.
If you sit back & look at this it makes Christianity look confused if not just ridiculous. Its just a part of the Abrahamic religious group (Judaism, Islam, Christianity ) & its vast colection of variants.
Then their are the myriad of non Abrahamic belief systems in India & Asia & onto Paganism, belief in nature.
Who is right? Who is close to being right?
'Belief' is a social construct. We choose to adopt or apply it. Its your choice.
Thats all it is.
Its just amazing how much energy, effort, pain & destruction is/has been caused in its wake.

To answer your question. Simple its because of God.
God being what?
Let's start here,because people like me,and my numbers are growing around the world faster than any other belief system,we refuse to adhere to a system that is based on pre-enlightened pagan plagiarised desert campfire storytelling.
Is the god of christianity the same as that of islam and its precursors of judaism and the Persians Zoroastrianism?
Why are Thoth,Zeus,Thor and the other 10000 other believed gods any less relevant than your creator deity?
Are you a creationist?
If Adam and Eve existed,how did they populate the world?
How did their progeny perpetuate a decent population not prone to the high percentage of deformity given interbreeding would have to have been involved?
The Theory of Evolution and the Origin of the Species is the most fool proof scientific fact ever constituted by our kind.
We are highly evolved apes,descended from a split in the evolutionary tree that takes us directly back to chimpanzees and bonobos.
As Hitchens said "nothing to be proud of,but nothing to be ashemed of either"
Does the primordial slime that gave birth to us,fill you with abhorrent fear,that perhaps we are a chemical mistake?
We know that stars had to explode in order for you and I to exist,was this the creators plan?,why did it take the creator so damned long and so an ever exhausting process to have "us" as the end game?
Surely a creator could cut through the 14 (give or take) billion years of our ever increasing universe and 4.5 billion years of our solar system to have one particular hominid in mind?!
Why waste all that time and not just cut to the chase?
Does god play dice?,if so,why,when the end game was "us"?
Why make us so fallible,if we are created in its image,does that make the creator fallible?
Is the creator governed by its own laws,that it created?
How did the creator come to be?
Infinite regression is a point that I'd like you to address as a believer.
If god has a plan,does that mean that the plan was pre ordained?,where does that leave the idea of free-will?
Does the belief in a creator deity require worship?,does the creator require this worship in order to be relevant?
If the creator requires worship in order for it's existence,why give us doubt in its existence?
What is the meaning of 'holy'?
To me,this is most disturbing word in all of religiosity?
Do you find my non belief,a threat to your way of life,particularly,that I am openly motioning for that way of life to be eradicated?
Do you govern your life by your belief in jesus of nazareth?
Do you think that prayer works?
Does the suspension in the laws of nature when prayer is answered,give justification to the belief of a creator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back