Training 2017 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall anyone's intelligence being questioned? Recall of recent events, yes. Intelligence, no.

A coach speaking in positives about a player is hardly an unexpected occurance.

Great to see him working hard. A strong season is objectively great. Best case scenario we get a renewed player for the rest of his career, at worst we get well compensated if he moves on.

Nice PR aside, he's absolutely not in the frame for the captaincy. If he wants to lead without the title that is a win.

Last edited:

I dont understand why it has taken a sacked coach for many of the senior players to get in shape. Rocky apparently is the fittest and leanest in his whole career, why wasn't this done last year or the year before?

His career wasn't under threat.

(The following is unrelated to you, AMI)

Mike's article simply just confirms to me that he was in trouble, shopped himself around and didn't have any bites.

I don't know how you could take it any other way.

Plus, nobody has really suggested that he wasn't a good trainer or a good performer on the training track or on game day. Fagan is just pointing that out and we already knew it.

He's leaner because he's got to increase his value whether he stays or goes, and good on him.

I dont understand why it has taken a sacked coach for many of the senior players to get in shape. Rocky apparently is the fittest and leanest in his whole career, why wasn't this done last year or the year before?

In one of his most honest moments I'm sure I remember Leppa saying that (most of) the players didn't want it (a flag) enough to put the work required in, and were happy just to coast along.

"Apparently" Paul Roos had an argument with the Demons general manager in front of the playing group when he walked into the change rooms and two players were eating maccas. He was very interested to find out how AFL players thought that was alright. He was also upset about the GM not being honest about the problems at the demons during the interviews.

Needless to say a caveman diet was enforced.

Change can be very good for a playing group. The respect the players have for Fagan will be evident by their attitudes at training and in games. So far so good

I think the club as a whole has lifted it's standards. We are a much more professional club this year. It's embarrassing how unprofessional we have been in recent years.

Full album from training today. Enjoy!

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to get to training and take some pics. It's very much appreciated by those who can't get there, and helps add some context to the text-based reports that are posted in threads.

Secondly, whilst I am far from a professional photographer myself (I just like to muck around with my old camera), I would share the following:
- ditch the vignette borders; they're really only good for portraits/close ups and especially when they're applied to every shot, they lose any value
- judging by the backgrounds, you moved around a bit to get shots from different locations, which is great when you presenting a series (or album) of pics like this. I would also try different heights (if at all possible) and lenses (you can hire zoom lenses, as they are tres fun to play with for a few days)
- if you are going to use a vignette (or even if you're not, but you are presenting an album) try cropping some to add variation to the shots. Tough when you're at a venue and you can't move closer to the subjects, but it helps the pics look less same-ish as you flick through them. Take #1367 for example: the story/value in this pic is all on the right (and the light tower, transformer adds nothing) so given the resolution of the pic you could easily crop & zoom and post the edited pic, which would be more interesting, without losing quality. This also helps you play with the focus by giving more meaningful results.
- #1373/4 are awesome, because you can tell they're in-play/action, and as footy fans we can't help but imagine the before and after to the pic you have taken

Apologies for the long and detailed post; I should be working, but you have given me an excuse to distract myself for 10 mins to offer my $0.02, because I always value getting feedback myself.

Thanks again for posting all the pics :)

His career wasn't under threat.

(The following is unrelated to you, AMI)

Mike's article simply just confirms to me that he was in trouble, shopped himself around and didn't have any bites.

I don't know how you could take it any other way.

Plus, nobody has really suggested that he wasn't a good trainer or a good performer on the training track or on game day. Fagan is just pointing that out and we already knew it.

He's leaner because he's got to increase his value whether he stays or goes, and good on him.

There were quite a few comments that he was a cheap possession getter and didn't impact the game with them. Isn't that the same as not being a good performer on game day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think resilience is the key, because results may (stress may) not be immediate. It does seem however that the panel now are equipped with enough of a wide range in experience in all facets to deal with what may come.
I doubt results will be immediate, however, I would like to see a rise similar to that of the Demons under Roos. A tough first year results wise with just 4 wins but it was evident the building blocks were in place and professionalism was restored. Second year improvement across the board with inconsistency probably the main issue. Some good wins and they were recognised league wide as a promising young side on the way up with 7 wins for the season in 2015. 2016, 10 wins and had a couple more results gone their way they would have been playing finals. They can still play the odd game where they put in a poor performance but overall they are a fairly decent, consistent, young football side with a bright future and likely to play finals in 2017 and beyond.

Overall they have had steady, consistent improvement each year with their win tallies increasing year to year. We have some quality young talent now, we just have to develop it and make sure everyone is on the same page in regards to the direction the club is heading and things like the game plan.

Every time we lost our coach kept telling them through his pressers that it's ok, we're a young team, we're hard done by from the AFL, we're a young team, we don't have good enough training facilities to be properly competitive, and we're a young team. Not enough tough love, too many senior players became complacent and coasted.

One of the first things I recall Fagan said upon arriving was something like "a weight weighs the same no matter where it is" (massive paraphrase) - welcome to tough love station, kids. Now start kicking properly with your other foot. :)

There were quite a few comments that he was a cheap possession getter and didn't impact the game with them. Isn't that the same as not being a good performer on game day?

That criticism has followed him around independently of other things that Mike pointed out in his article.

I don't recall very many people lumping that into his off-field criticism to any substantial degree.

It w

it was kinda hard to spot a rehab group, guys were coming and going seemingly randomly. I only really keep an eye on the main group then the few blokes running laps. Didn't notice bell or shache in the main group but for the most part I believe everyone was there
Bell did start with rehab group then went up by himself and did work by himself with medicine ball.

I don't recall anyone's intelligence being questioned? Recall of recent events, yes. Intelligence, no.

A coach speaking in positives about a player is hardly an unexpected occurance.

Great to see him working hard. A strong season is objectively great. Best case scenario we get a renewed player for the rest of his career, at worst we get well compensated if he moves on.

Nice PR aside, he's absolutely not in the frame for the captaincy. If he wants to lead without the title that is a win.

Wasn't thinking of your posts when i made that comment.

Either way it makes perfect sense that a new coach wants to give everyone a clean slate. I'll take him at face value and assume he's in the frame. Definitely positive signs either way.

I'm not surprised he's pulled his head in. Having someone like Fagan come in from another club with no direct ties to the recent playing group in this one, sit down with him and tell him exactly what he's heard about Rocky as an outsider... that'd make anyone sit down and pay attention. Maybe we could be about to see his best season yet?
I don't think **** would consider Rocky an outsider, he is still clearly an important part of the team this year. As others have said it benefits everyone if he has a great season. But doesn't mean he will be here next year.

As for **** defence of Rocky, I don't know what people expect him to say. The question was asked because clearly there was an issue , the answer was truthful in the sense that Rocky had trained the house down. But he is always going to tow the correct pr line. And for those saying what was said went past just answering the question, well Fagan does like to talk...a lot.

On another note somebody said there might be game simulation this week, any idea when and where ?

Need to trust the systems in place to give us the best choice for captain.Personally I think Beams will get it but if the process shows Rocky to be the best option we have to back the coach and board have made the call on what is best for the team.

I don't think **** would consider Rocky an outsider,
No no I meant Fagan was an outsider to the club, and was telling Rocky what he had heard about Rocky from the outside footy world.

Interesting but not exactly surprising that some people prioritise their desire to witness a hypothetical "meltdown" on an Internet forum over the needs of the team.

Also interested in this rumoured match simulation if someone can find out more. Hard to get to training with the little tacker but would try and make it work.
I should be able to sneak down Friday which is when I heard it will be. Not sure how accurate the info is, was 3rd hand information. Regardless I should be there Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back