Review Round 1, 2017 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Close OUT next week. Who else? I though everyone else did okay... maybe Harwood?

I look forward to the day Cox and William are pushing hard for selection. Those two guys running off half back with Cutler. We need that line breaking ability.

I also look forward to Walker developing as a F/HB.

I guess Close comes out for Frost next week. Any other changes...?

Last edited:
For the stats lovers here are some of note players wise-

Tom Rockliff 37 possessions 23 contested, 8 clearances, 6 inside 50's and 4 tackles.

Dayne Beams 28 possessions 10 contested, 12 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 inside 50's and 6 tackles.

Dayne Zorko 23 possessions 12 contested, 8 inside 50's, 10 tackles and 2 goals.

Stefan Martin, 23 possessions 14 contested, 4 marks, 7 clearances and 33 hit-outs.

Ryan Bastinac 14 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 goals.

Tom Cutler 24 possessions, 2 inside 50's, 83% disposal efficiency and 10 rebound 50's.

Eric Hipwood aka the human highlight reel 12 possessions 8 contested, 83% disposal efficiency, 5 marks 3 contested, 2 goals.

Darcy Gardiner 12 possessions, 83% disposal efficiency, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 7 1%ers.

Harris Andrews 7 possessions, 100% disposal efficiency! 16 1%ers! 4 marks.

So taking notes from that-

Rocky was simply brilliant with 23 contested possessions. I think some of his best work in and under packs went unnoticed at times tonight which is quite often the case.

Dayne Beams is pure class coming back from a long lay off with injury and picking up right where he left off with 28 smooth possessions and a casual 12 score involvements! He looked cooked towards the end so wait and see how he plays when he regains some match fitness in a month or so time.

Zorks had a bit of a quiet night simply due to the fact that we are used to seeing him be an impact player and tonight he was more of work horse type but he still kicked 2 awesome goals during that awesome period in the 1st quarter when we dominated and he played the work horse role well gathering 12 contested possessions and laying 10 tackles. If that is seen as a quiet night from Zorko watch out for when he plays at his best.

Big Stef struggled at times but he looked exhausted by the end. He'll be better for the run. Worked hard to get 14 contested possessions and 7 clearances and held his own in the ruck battle with 33 hit-outs to Witts 37.

Bastinac only had the 14 disposals but made a big impact with the 3 goals. Laid 5 tackles as well so worked hard defensively. Solid game from Basti.

Cutler provided the run and dash tonight with 10 rebound 50's and he used it well with 83% disposal efficiency. Important player for us.

Hipwood's game can not be measured in stats he is just an excitement machine but turns out his stats look alright. Worked hard for his 12 touches, went at 83% disposal efficiency, 3 contested marks had Lions fans excited and his 2 goals cap off a good night and a good start to the season. Could easily kick 30 goals this season.

Gardiner another one whose stats don't paint the full picture in terms of how good he was tonight(They never do when it comes to tall/medium defenders) but the 4 tackles and 7 1%ers are nice to see.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned on here yet was just how good Andrews disposal was tonight. Some of his kicks were sublime particularly that long one to Rocky in the last quarter. He went at 100% disposal efficiency. 16 1%ers and 4 marks cap off a decent showing on the stats sheet but again, you'd have to watch the game to appreciate just how awesome he was tonight.

Just on an extra note let's all pray we get 22 fully fit games from Beams, Rockliff and Zorko this year as once they all start to build into the season and gain some chemistry they could form a great midfield trio for us. All three played well tonight and yet all three are capable of so much more.

Last edited:

I thought we were pretty efficient going forward tonight and made the most of our chances particularly in the first half, however, their were some occasions mainly in the second half where we coughed up some golden opportunities due to one poorly executed kick, or one missed handball or one fumble. I feel like Christensen and McCluggage can inject that bit of extra class/polish that can aid us in capitalising on chances when attacking.

For the stats lovers here are some of note players wise-

Tom Rockliff 37 possessions 23 contested, 8 clearances, 6 inside 50's and 4 tackles.

Dayne Beams 28 possessions 10 contested, 12 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 inside 50's and 6 tackles.

Dayne Zorko 23 possessions 12 contested, 8 inside 50's, 10 tackles and 2 goals.

Stefan Martin, 23 possessions 14 contested, 4 marks, 7 clearances and 33 hit-outs.

Ryan Bastinac 14 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 goals.

Tom Cutler 24 possessions, 2 inside 50's, 83% disposal efficiency and 10 rebound 50's.

Eric Hipwood aka the human highlight reel 12 possessions 8 contested, 83% disposal efficiency, 5 marks 3 contested, 2 goals.

Darcy Gardiner 12 possessions, 83% disposal efficiency, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 7 1%ers.

Harris Andrews 7 possessions, 100% disposal efficiency! 16 1%ers! 4 marks.

So taking notes from that-

Rocky was simply brilliant with 23 contested possessions. I think some of his best work in and under packs went unnoticed at times tonight which is quite often the case.

Dayne Beams is pure class coming back from a long lay off with injury and picking up right where he left off with 28 smooth possessions and a casual 12 score involvements! He looked cooked towards the end so wait and see how he plays when he regains some match fitness in a month or so time.

Zorks had a bit of a quiet night simply due to the fact that we are used to seeing him be an impact player and tonight he was more of work horse type but he still kicked 2 awesome goals during that awesome period in the 1st quarter when we dominated and he played the work horse role well gathering 12 contested possessions and laying 10 tackles. If that is seen as a quiet night from Zorko watch out for when he plays at his best.

Big Stef struggled at times but he looked exhausted by the end. He'll be better for the run. Worked hard to get 14 contested possessions and 7 clearances and held his own in the ruck battle with 33 hit-outs to Witts 37.

Bastinac only had the 14 disposals but made a big impact with the 3 goals. Laid 5 tackles as well so worked hard defensively. Solid game from Basti.

Cutler provided the run and dash tonight with 10 rebound 50's and he used it well with 83% disposal efficiency. Important player for us.

Hipwood's game can not be measured in stats he is just an excitement machine but turns out his stats look alright. Worked hard for his 12 touches, went at 83% disposal efficiency, 3 contested marks had Lions fans excited and his 2 goals cap off a good night and a good start to the season. Could easily kick 30 goals this season.

Gardiner another one whose stats don't paint the full picture in terms of how good he was tonight(They never do when it comes to tall/medium defenders) but the 4 tackles and 7 1%ers are nice to see.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned on here yet was just how good Andrews disposal was tonight. Some of his kicks were sublime particularly that long one to Rocky in the last quarter. He went at 100% disposal efficiency. 16 1%ers and 4 marks cap off a decent showing on the stats sheet but again, you'd have to watch the game to appreciate just how awesome he was tonight.

Just on an extra note let's all pray we get 22 fully fit games from Beams, Rockliff and Zorko this year as once they all start to build into the season and gain som chemistry they could form a great midfield trio for us. All three played well tonight and yet all three are capable of so much more.

Who did badly, stats wise?

Frost would be coming in too, you'd think?
That'll free up McStay to play forward.
So yeah Close is gone.
I'm not sure I'd be bringing Frost straight back in after tonight. Andrews, McStay and Gardiner did really well and it doesn't get much tougher than trying to contain the twin talls of Lynch and Wright. I'd like to see that trio have another crack against Essendon and give them a chance to build some form/chemistry.

Of course, but I enjoyed your commentary around it... just wondered the opposite side of the coin...
Tom Bell with just the 10 disposals going at 50% disposal efficiency, 1 mark doesn't surprise me considering he must have dropped around 5-6. He did kick that goal though in the opening term which obviously helped keep the momentum going. He laid just the 1 tackle as well and had no inside 50's so I think he had a fairly minimal impact on the game and the stats sort of back that up. Happy to back him in to kick 3-4 goals against the Bombers though.

Ryan Harwood was clearly building back into senior footy having missed so many games so I don't want to be too harsh. Just the 8 disposals and 1 tackle but I thought he was ok defensively. Went at 87% disposal efficiency and had 5 1%ers which is a positive.

Michael Close with just 6 disposals, no marks and no inside 50's. I think he is at his best when he works his opponent over by pushing up to the flanks/wings, taking some pack marks and then kicking long inside 50. If he compliments that with a goal or two he has had a good day/night at the office. He obviously failed to do that tonight with 0 marks and 0 inside 50's. Rumour has it, however, that he could be carrying a niggle and on the bright side he kicked a goal and laid 5 tackles so still had an impact on the win.

I'm not sure I'd be bringing Frost straight back in after tonight. Andrews, McStay and Gardiner did really well and it doesn't get much tougher than trying to contain the twin talls of Lynch and Wright. I'd like to see that trio have another crack against Essendon and give them a chance to build some form/chemistry.

I think Frost is the one that needs to be there for sake of chemistry.
Plan is McStay, Hipwood and Schache forward.
Not sure who comes out for Schache when he's fit.

McCluggage, Berry, Cox & William can't be too far off selection either.
And then someone is out for Christensen too of course.
And Paparone, if he ever plays again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great game of footy. Was at Metricon tonight, it was intense at the end. So many positives already highlighted. Hipwood's want to contest the footy is absolutely elite. He is the most exciting young talent in the AFL. Mayes, Cutler, Robertson, Bewick, Lester and Taylor all really had crucial moments in the game.

We were exposed for leg speed and defensive run through our midfield and forward line. Keays, Barrett, Rockliff, Beams and Rich are all one paced these days. Hurt us at times in the last half, I am sure McCluggage, William, Christensen and Cox will all be considered as soon as they are deemed fit enough to play AFL footy.

How good is it to have a win!!!!

Nothing to be excited about the last few years but I got a stiffy watching Andrews and Hipwood tonight. Also thought Mayes played well, perhaps a hbf indeed. Rockys improved fitness showed with something like 10 contested and 5 clearances in the final term. Was hoping Row Bew would continue his form from the JLT but was a little quiet.

Thought Harris deserved the medal.

Interesting a reporter in the presser bought up the fact that we still where able to score when the suns had the momentum. I was thinking that during the 3rd quarter as they where kicking 2-3 goals and we would get one back. We havent done that in years. To maintain some scoring while the opposition could get a run on was really impressive.

I think Frost is the one that needs to be there for sake of chemistry.
Plan is McStay, Hipwood and Schache forward.
Not sure who comes out for Schache when he's fit.

McCluggage, Berry, Cox & William can't be too far off selection either.
And then someone is out for Christensen too of course.
And Paparone, if he ever plays again.

I am hoping for one of those midfield boys to step up, will keep Rich honest.
No one can take their place for granted.

Interesting a reporter in the presser bought up the fact that we still where able to score when the suns had the momentum. I was thinking that during the 3rd quarter as they where kicking 2-3 goals and we would get one back. We havent done that in years. To maintain some scoring while the opposition could get a run on was really impressive.
Where did you watch the press conference, it won't play on my computer

just got home, gee that was a long trip home on the bus and the train filled to the brim with titans and cowboys supporters.

great gutsy win, we have some steel about our unit now. voted for Harris, Darcy, Rocky, Beams and Martin but i also thought Eric, Nick, Cuts, Sam and Zorks were good as well. some observations-

1) i thought Darcy Gardners 1st quarter was superb and was not too shabby the rest of the night.
2) Hipwood and Andrews, wow, superstars in the making.
3) Beams and Rocky all class.
4) we really had heavy legs in the second half but we found a way to get the job done, got some clutch goals in the second half, Hippys bomb from outside 50 was awesome and then Sqizzus snap under immense pressure was great.
5) the guys run their heart out i even saw our fittest player ie. Nick Robbo struggling to lift the knees there at one stage late in the 4th.
6) players who could be in the gun to go out if changes are made are IMO, Lester, Rich, Keays, Bell, Close and Barrett.
7) we stopped taking the game on in the 2nd half, i'm sure **** will address that during the week, probably comes down to tiredness. there were 3-4 times in the 2nd half when we didn't pull the trigger when the opportunity was there.

bring on the bombers next week at the gabba, looking forward to it already.

It was pleasing to see a bit of backbone and resolve there at the end, last year they would have folded like a pack of cards.

Unfortunately I'm still predicting bottom 3 for the lions, there is a lot of improvement needed.

Really like the progression of players like Robertson and Mayes. For so long we have had to watch our players stagnate. Great to see some good development already in some of those players in their early 20's.

I agree, looking at the stats for the game really confirms that none of our defenders could possibly be dropped next week. Our back half won it for us and they teamed beautifully.

I've heard from a few sources Cian was alright today - a legit option?
Cian did some nice things, showed a bit of skill and lot of willing, he appeared to be giving up height and weight to his opponent but didn't take a backward step and didn't mind getting in their ear and face behind play. He tended to stick pretty close to his opponent, but started to push forward and look for opportunities in attack, and fitness and running ability did not seem an issue.

If it was his first year as a rookie you'd say, there were signs and it looks promising and you'd be wondering what he might show in the next 18 months which might see him push for an upgrade. But of course it is his third year as a rookie.

Back