Review Round 1, 2017 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Their entries in the first half were so bad, just bombing it in and we mopped up easily.

Thats still a load of pressure on our defense that they managed to mitigate. Although it is concerning when teams will do that against us that we CANT mop up easily...

It's been many years since there been one, but if you guys are having trouble remembering it's known as a "selection headache" or "selection dillema"

We do remember them - it is just that the ones we remember are more along the lines of which-of-these-spuds-do-we-pick-'cause-we-need-to-pick-22-players rather than which-of-these-players-that-we-really-want-to-play-do-we-have-to-leave-out!

Keays reminded me a bit of Robertson's struggles when he came into the side. A bit fumbly, not dealing with the pace of the game and too hesitant making decisions. He'll fix those things with game time.

I dunno that I necessarily agree that he should definitely be dropped for Mcluggage though. They bring different things to the side but McCluggage's preseason form wasn't too superior to what Keays has produced.

Overall, I'd be reluctant to make changes. The side we played last night matches up quite well on Essendon. If anything, I'd maybe consider giving Harwood a run in the Reserves and bringing Frost in. That would allow us to use McStay at either end and have two genuine KPDs to match up on Daniher and Hooker. I didn't think Harwood was too bad, mind you.

Watching the replay on fox.

Dermie is in a constant state of meltdown over Lynch/ Andrews, it is just wonderful.

Does he have an involvement with GC? He often barracks for them and really focus's on them. He did the whole 'well done young fella' on a bunch pf occassions with them. It might be he sympathies with the losing team or he hyper focuses on them due to the 'expansion team' tag - i think its most likely the latter

The commentary made mention of it but so many of those inside 50s weren't really penetrative. The ball can roll inside 50 by a metre and be cleaned up by a defender and it will still count. We'd set up in such a way that Gold Coast could either try and run or kick through our half back line or kick over it. When they kicked over it, it played into the hands of Andrews because he had time to engage Lynch. When they tried to run through our defensive line, our exceptional half back line shut them down.

It was pretty clever coaching by Eade to recognise that he needed to change that up. Effectively switching his half and full forward lines not only brought Lynch et al into the game but it took Andrews out of his comfort zone and broke up the effectiveness of Mayes, Robertson, Harwood and Gardiner.

We didn't really respond too well to that which suggests a lack of a plan B. That's not really surprising given we are probably still getting our heads around plan A.

Does he have an involvement with GC? He often barracks for them and really focus's on them. He did the whole 'well done young fella' on a bunch pf occassions with them. It might be he sympathies with the losing team or he hyper focuses on them due to the 'expansion team' tag - i think its most likely the latter
He said a fair few positive things about us, I thought.

He did say Saad's running style made the Lions defence disillusioned which I found an interesting choice of words.

I think it was mostly a forwards v defenders thing.

Very obvious watching the lions this year is that Fagan has introduced a straight line of defenders across half back. Not so much defending one on one but more zoning off and setting up behind the ball like the good sides do. Will take a while for everyone to be singing off the same hymm sheet but i think we can already see Fagan has introduced a better defensive set up. We are trying to force teams to bomb the ball deep.

Was a lot less goals conceded last night from players waltzing into goal under no pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Fages has good health cover for this year. Welcome to Lions coaching caper ;)

That's at full time.. Felt like they were sharing a holy **** moment there.

View attachment 349883
The coach did mention that they were saying Hail Marys in the box

Teamwork - that is the best thing that came out of last night for me.
All the boys seemed focussed on helping each other - especially when it got heavy in the clinches - all contributed.
This was what was frustrating Ablett in the opening quarter - if a Lion didn't have him another would step in to take his place - well done.
Too many positives to single out individuals but it is a long time since I have seen a Lions team play together and for each other like they did last night.
Well done team.
Go Lions

My main concern from last night is that Gold Coast made us look seriously slow at times, especially through the midfield. Will be interesting to see how we compare to the Bombers because they're not full of lightning fast runners either.

Surprised so many are keen to bring Schache straight in if available - Close was our best performed KPF over the pre-season and deserves another go (one quiet game isn't the end of the world and he at least made a contest and forced the ball to ground). I wouldn't mind giving Josh a few games in the 2's to get confidence levels up personally.

I am hoping for one of those midfield boys to step up, will keep Rich honest.
No one can take their place for granted.
I think Rich did try last night. He put his body on the line a few times sitting in front of a hard leading Lynch which shows he is now defending as a midfielder to block of space for the opposition forwards. I just don't think Rich has a footy brain that allows himself to read the play and gain a few easy possessions like a Rocky for example he will never be a 25+ touch a game player. I thought he went okay last night doesn't deserve to be dropped IMO.

Watching the game I wondered if we considered upgrading Reuben ahead of Barrett. Barrett seemed to have Saad playing on him and William could have done a better job. Also worry about Bell losing his opponent when they run it out of the back line. You never really see him up the ground.

Also it as interesting to note our midfield as a whole were actually running back as hard as they could nearly the whole game when the Suns forced a turnover. It as just the speed of the Suns mids that allowed them to break free a couple of times... it did look kinda bad in the third especially though. Still exciting times to see a whole team defence starting to take shape. Never thought it would happen this quickly TBH. Still have some work to do though. Essendon game will be interesting.

Watching the game I wondered if we considered upgrading Reuben ahead of Barrett. Barrett seemed to have Saad playing on him and William could have done a better job. Also worry about Bell losing his opponent when they run it out of the back line. You never really see him up the ground.
Bell had a tough night for sure, but I think Barrett did a reasonable job last night.

Sure Saad had plenty of dangerous moments, but there was also a lot of stuff that Barrett in terms of pressure acts that would have gone largely unnoticed. Much easier to apply pressure to a player if their targets are limited in front of them, but when the side is tiring like last night and there are lots of open options, much more difficult to apply pressure

Bell had a tough night for sure, but I think Barrett did a reasonable job last night.

Sure Saad had plenty of dangerous moments, but there was also a lot of stuff that Barrett in terms of pressure acts that would have gone largely unnoticed. Much easier to apply pressure to a player if their targets are limited in front of them, but when the side is tiring like last night and there are lots of open options, much more difficult to apply pressure
That hit on May was marvellous. Goes in hard young Barrett.

Back