2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the AFL website...
5fcea83ebaec208dffa15c6f6ef685b5.png

Don't see where having a parent born overseas fits.
Different rule. Next Gen. Academies have their own rules.

I didnt ask for anything, I joined the conversation when you trotted out AFL approved information, and claimed it as the true picture.

There have been countless threads about this over the past few years. Use the search function - surely, Drugs Are Bad Mackay? , you're aware of this ;)

I dont have one issue with the program, and Im curious as to why you think this to be the case. Nowhere in this particular conversation do I display " a problem with the program". What I do have a problem with, is the utilising of Auskick participation rates to illustrate an upturn in junior football participation. Going to a clinic (which often masquerades as a child minding service) does not equal participation. Look at the numbers and see how that clinic participation equates to kids playing organised football on a weekly basis. Look at the retention rates from U12 - U15 - U18 levels. Look at the number of junior clubs (or junior divisions of clubs) where numbers are dwindling or where those clubs have folded.

Im in the fortunate position where I had a kid go through the junior system 10 years ago, and another who has just started going through that same system. I can tell you that, from my own observation, participation rates, school engagement and overall funding are down across the board.

Now Drugs Are Bad Mackay? come out from behind the alias and have a proper discussion about it - Im not going to engage any further with an alias :)

I agree - my son is just about to start under 10's and has been at the same junior club since under 6's. For all of those seasons from under 7's onwards there has been 2 teams per age division at sub junior and junior level. There has been a lot of competition at junior / premiership grade levels to trial for and make the A grade team. This year there has been a significant drop off in nearly all age levels where most age divisions struggling to get the minimum number of players for 2 teams. Our 2 under 10 teams both have less than the required minimum of 18 on the field.

Neither was playing a tall back who didn't deserve to be picked on form. You work with what you have.
So this small/mid defenders strategy is just a compromise and not a preferred option?

You make it sound like Kern is doing something revolutionary. But in reality with Hombsch and Austin out you agree the GWS set up was a compromise and not the preferred set up.

On a side note. Melbourne have named 193cm Cam Pederson in Ruck this week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He did not answer my question, don't invent things.

You can join him on my ignore list. All I ever see in most of your posts is extreme left-leaning regurgitated media crap anyway. That unimaginative virtue signalling is abundant enough already, so I'll pass on it where I can thank you, to save myself time and a few brain cells.

Have a nice day.

So - me saying someone who is arguing the importance of the financial results of a business be respected might be worth listening to, THAT makes me a extreme lefty? The pro-capitalism guy?

Okay. You clearly have nothing of any value to offer. If that wasn't clear earlier, it is now.

I didnt ask for anything, I joined the conversation when you trotted out AFL approved information, and claimed it as the true picture.

There have been countless threads about this over the past few years. Use the search function - surely, Drugs Are Bad Mackay? , you're aware of this ;)

I dont have one issue with the program, and Im curious as to why you think this to be the case. Nowhere in this particular conversation do I display " a problem with the program". What I do have a problem with, is the utilising of Auskick participation rates to illustrate an upturn in junior football participation. Going to a clinic (which often masquerades as a child minding service) does not equal participation. Look at the numbers and see how that clinic participation equates to kids playing organised football on a weekly basis. Look at the retention rates from U12 - U15 - U18 levels. Look at the number of junior clubs (or junior divisions of clubs) where numbers are dwindling or where those clubs have folded.

Im in the fortunate position where I had a kid go through the junior system 10 years ago, and another who has just started going through that same system. I can tell you that, from my own observation, participation rates, school engagement and overall funding are down across the board.

Now Drugs Are Bad Mackay? come out from behind the alias and have a proper discussion about it - Im not going to engage any further with an alias :)
You'll have to jog my memory

Can't remember the thread(s)

If I didn't barrack for Adelaide I would have our game behind the Dogs vs GWS on Friday night. That should be the game of the round. I'm interested in the Saints vs Hawks game too, let's see if the Hawthorn effort was a spark or a once off.

Just because someone else is looking forward to another game doesn't mean they are ignoring the Crows ??? As discussed above, we then had Sam Jacobs talk about our game for the next 10 minutes !!!

If you watched regularly you'd see they often talk about Adelaide. They have banned each other from choosing Rory Sloane as their Monday Champ as they have both done it too often. Robbo is genuinely in love with Sloaney ... like most of us :)

I watch 360 every night, really like the show. It gives different perspectives and insights. I never liked the one-sided rubbish that comes out of Adelaide, even when I lived there. Much prefer to hear alternate views. Everyone "hates" Robbo, but I quite like him. He is what he is, he isn't pretentious ... and he is no fool. When Gerard and Robbo disagree they hold their opposing views strongly - they aren't there to be mates. I like that too.

Most often the drama of the day comes from the clubs in trouble, the players struggling, the coaches without direction ... glad we have avoided most of that for a while now. Happy for the discussions around the biggest problem teams is not centred on the Crows.
I always watch it too, but it increasingly frustrates me. I don't "hate" Robbo, but he certainly is no genius. I particularly love it when he's digging a hole for himself and Gerard says nothing... just has this "dig up, Stupid" look on his face. Cracks me up. They ARE ridiculously VICcentric... but has to be expected as they form the bulk of their viewing audience. Does give you an insight into some of the players/coaches that are regulars that you wouldn't otherwise have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this board is hilarious sometimes

Running Blue you are borderline tinfoil hat level with the way you go on about Vic Bias

I don't think its intentional vic bias. The AFL is as it stands is still a relatively new professional sport. Many of the victorian commentators grew up surrounded by the heroes of the VFL era. As the decades move on and the younger generations move into prime commentary roles I think we will see a more mature national discussion when it comes to the AFL rather than the hit and miss we see now. But I can see that the AFL are going to great lengths to increase the game nationally.

I always watch it too, but it increasingly frustrates me. I don't "hate" Robbo, but he certainly is no genius. I particularly love it when he's digging a hole for himself and Gerard says nothing... just has this "dig up, Stupid" look on his face. Cracks me up. They ARE ridiculously VICcentric... but has to be expected as they form the bulk of their viewing audience. Does give you an insight into some of the players/coaches that are regulars that you wouldn't otherwise have.
The competition is VIC-centric !!! They have 10 of the 18 teams :)

You asked me this:

Go do some research and come back to us with the numbers not including "development states".

I then provided you with information for WA and VIC. You're disregarding the information because it's "AFL approved"

So you really wanted me to find some info about the AFL, but not from the AFL? What source of data would be trustworthy to you? A national census? A door to door survey conducted by the Salvation Army? Andrew Fagan himself visiting every league in the "traditional" footy states then personally reporting his findings to you?

What I do have a problem with, is the utilising of Auskick participation rates to illustrate an upturn in junior football participation.

Ignore Auskick. The numbers i posted show that participation is up across all demographics.

So this is the issue. So you've had an experience in one particular league, where there has been a decline in participation - and funding (you're the league's treasurer? or you're saying this because the fees have gone up compared to 10 years ago?). Because of this observation in your community, you're (despite facts to the contrary) assuming that every league is experiencing similar difficulties.

You really think a mod needs to set up an alias to argue with you? To what end? He seems perfectly capable or arguing using his normal account.

Play the ball not the man. It shouldn't matter who is posting what. Answer the questions, discuss the issue, provide something relevant - if you've got it.

Is that right? I was born in the subcontinent but my husband was born here. My son was born here and has been playing junior club footy since he was 5. Would that mean that if the rules didn't change that he would be eligible to be picked as a Cat B rookie (assuming he was good enough of course) That's crazy!

I've just reread that article. Being in the sturt zone and having 1 parent born in Asia he could automatically end up at the crows (if he's good enough*)
Be warned, when srv23 jr graces the Adelaide Oval he will be a silky skilled outside player, great peripheral vision, makes great decisions, hit targets and kicks goals from anywhere....but hates the contested ball more than Ricky Henderson...

*Disclaimer, highly unlikely to be good enough....

I've just reread that article. Being in the sturt zone and having 1 parent born in Asia he could automatically end up at the crows (if he's good enough*)
Be warned, when srv23 jr graces the Adelaide Oval he will be a silky skilled outside player, great peripheral vision, makes great decisions, hit targets and kicks goals from anywhere....but hates the contested ball more than Ricky Henderson...

*Disclaimer, highly unlikely to be good enough....

Haha - much the way my Son was as a junior. I described it as "a highly advanced sense of self preservation"

I don't think its intentional vic bias. The AFL is as it stands is still a relatively new professional sport. Many of the victorian commentators grew up surrounded by the heroes of the VFL era. As the decades move on and the younger generations move into prime commentary roles I think we will see a more mature national discussion when it comes to the AFL rather than the hit and miss we see now. But I can see that the AFL are going to great lengths to increase the game nationally.

I should have clarified it a bit better

there is certainly elements of it still existing, but it's on a superficial level

certainly not in a 'The VFL Media is out to get us'

I should have clarified it a bit better

there is certainly elements of it still existing, but it's on a superficial level

certainly not in a 'The VFL Media is out to get us'
You know I never said the VFL media is out to get us, right?

You can call me tinfoil, but at least don't put words in my mouth.

I repeated what was said on AFL360 and added a "lol".

The rest is people's agendas and imaginations running wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back