Will we miss finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Legitimate question.

With our current form, and our inability to secure wins against even the worst teams in the league, are you confident that we'll get the three remaining wins that we might need?

I think there's a very real chance that we miss. We're 3-4 over our last 7, and none of those wins have shown any merit whatsoever. Whenever we've been challenged, we've failed.

Doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cripes, if you are feeling depressed, don't go do the ladder predictor.

I ended up with us on 12 wins and coming 7th on percentage.

Yeah I know ladder predictors are dodgy given no one ever tips 9 each weeks. But I can see us more likely to miss out of the 8 than to finish top 4.

We need 3 wins to get to 12 - have to beat 3 of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Collingwood.

Melb in Darwin?? Hmmm I say no.

Anyone want to tip us to beat the Swans or Port or Cats or Eagles (away)?

That leaves Bulldogs who are a bit dodgy at the moment, but let's just say we haven't been great against them even when they have looked dodgy.

There is no room for error. Lose next week and I can't see us making the 8.

Before Friday night I was certain we would make finals but not anymore. There is now a distinct possibility of us missing the finals. I believe we are potentially the kangaroos of 2016. Even if we do make finals we will most likely be out week 1 or 2 unless the coach has a change in philosophy. We are heading for a very disappointing year I feel. We must be now playing the future and see what players such as Poholke, Gallucci, Keath, Doedee, O'brien can do. The club also needs to look at pyke and whether he is improving the squad. If he is not, there is no point putting up with another year of this next year and a decision on him needs to be made. Unfortunately Roo and his team got this one badly wrong. There are good coaches out there who need opportunity. Just have to find them but someone similar to Beveridge is what I would like to see at the crows.

I can't believe you lot are seriously contemplating that you will miss finals......have you gone completely mad.
Have the wheels completely fallen off. We are not talking Collingwood or North Melb here......You need 3 more wins to lock in finals, and I suggest you win at least 5 so that gives you 14 which is at least fri ge top 4.
Flags are won in September.......not June. Rack up enough wins to qualify for finals and anything can happen from there. It is not even critical to finish top 4 anymore with the the week off before finals.......just ask the dogs.
Clubs that are in contention aim to peak come September......the rest is just about collecting enough wins and evolving game styles and developing players

We'll make finals, I'd say. But after that, it'll be same old, same old.

Demoralising thought.

It's been forever since we've had that 'balls-out' mode that wins the big finals. I did however feel it briefly in the last 10 minutes of the phonegate Beverbitch final, however the opposition were our finals bitches.

I think when the Gov is back fit and in form, we're a better side player-wise and probably structurally as well.(though thanks Andy O for the stopgap) He's my hope for that finals hero type - spectacular pack crashing leaps and marks and intimidating pressure, who is the outlier performing above and beyond while all the attention is on Tex JJ and Eddie. I'm allowed to hope.

Also I think we need that rampant ginger Cheney fired up and frenetic in our back line. In fact I'd give him a short run at a centre bounce or two, preferably the kind of run that runs straight through a Selwood or a Dangerfield or similar. Ah Geeez, I sound like Janus. What have I become?:eek:

Until we change the culture of this club the next coach will do just as badly.

Look, I'm as strong an advocate for structural reform and voting rights as anyone on this board.

That still doesnt excuse completely asinine coaching like continuously allowing loose men in defence to destroy us.

Look, I'm as strong an advocate for structural reform and voting rights as anyone on this board.

That still doesnt excuse completely asinine coaching like continuously allowing loose men in defence to destroy us.
I reckon I just saw him again.

Hodge that is.

Still running about on AO all by himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but the culture (for want of a better term) is what defines expectations, helps keep underwhelming assistants for years past their use by dates, keeps a player on the list when he is more than finished, supports a view that incumbency is some sort of tenure, etc.

Why did Worsfold turn us down? I'm not sure I believe the 'family' reasons he gave for picking Essendon over us. He had a good look at us from the inside and opted for what looked like the much harder job. There's a reason players leave the Crows and coaches don't want to come here and it's something to do with that nebulous idea of culture.

Last edited:
I wish.

When you're in the bunker and you're not listening to outside voices all you hear is the same confirmation from the same voices. That leads to a failure to recognise problems and a failure to adopt new solutions in my opinion.
Yes.
On a recent episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares a female chef was shielded from criticism by her much-older, protective husband. Plenty of meals came back uneaten, but she was never told.
When Ramsay told her the truth she had a melt-down, total denial, hopeless basket-case.
The Crows are listening to their coach who keeps telling them that their game plan will work. Even when it doesn't.
2017 is shot unless Pyke opens his eyes and makes some changes. Sadly, I can't see it.

I have us just sneaking in. But wont last long. Dad and I were talking about Pykey being like Craigy which isn't a bad thing as he was a good coach. We just couldnt make a GF. Dad thinks we need to get either Bass or Goody. Goody wanted to coach away from Adelaide to do his apprenticeship. He has done that and looking extremely good at Melbourne. Could we entice him home.

upload_2017-6-24_20-33-12.png

If we can't make top two we have no hope anyway. Better off not making finals getting a better draft pick and cushy draw for the following year.

Regardless until we grow at set of balls and are willing to dig in when it matters instead of being a bunch of front running pretenders we aren't going to win s**t.

Last edited:
We havent won 9 games because we are poor.

That's what North Melbourne supporters were saying this time last year.
They still made the finals, and hadnt played the type of footy we have done.

We have work to do but we wont be missing the finals, whether or not we do anything there is anyones guess

The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is what the WB did last year.

They were in average form, got players back, changed a few things up and turned it on for the final 4 games of the season.

But that's me clutching at straws

Remove this Banner Ad

Back