Opinion That's it - I'm done!!!

What would it take for you to rule a line, and say "AFL can go * itself"?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What would it take for you to say "That's it - I'm done!!!"?

Do you think the AFL is a corrupt organisation which manufactures results/success to certain individuals/teams for 'feel good' stories (no you can't trade another first rounder - no wait, yes you can).

Do you think the drafting/trading/free agent system produces systematic bias against non-Vic clubs?

Are you sick of 'homesick' campaigners leaving all the time, and the way the media portrays them? (Lever vs Gibbs vs Ablett)

How many more young stars can we lose before it's enough?

For me, if Lever goes, I'm ready to say "* it" and give up on the AFL for a while. If Gov went too, it would be a long while. What's the point of becoming emotionally involved with the 'building' of a team, if it's not feasible/sustainable, and the players don't actually care which club is paying them the money?

I love footy, love the Crows, but hate the current state of the competition regarding team-building and loyalty.

If we don't win the flag this im doing it. im fed up. 27 years of being a member comes to an end.
I will just watch the games on Fox and get the occasional GA ticket to a game.

I think you've captured the sentiment.

If we are now in a world where players feel no loyalty, and Adelaide is at a competitive disadvantage in the player market being a two team town, then why should the fans have loyalty anymore.

AFL really needs to consider recruitment zones for all clubs with academy rules applying to your zone - perhaps for round 1 (and 2?) draft picks. Give us a competitive advantage with local talent.

The players are not the club. They come and go. The movement of players will be more common in the future.

The league itself is heavily weighted towards commercial outcomes ahead of making the sport better. I have come to terms with this a long time ago.

For me my "that's it" moment would be if our club were to be involved with systematic doping on the scale Essendon were. That was club sanctioned cheating involving the great majority of the players. And yes I firmly believe the players were complicit in the program. They had to be given its scale.

If the AFC ever did something like that my love for supporting the club would evaporate and I would feel little need to actively support another club. I would probably still watch a few games on TV but that would be the limit if my involvement. The passion would be gone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AFL should also consider where a non free agent player is traded in, the club bringing that player in has to forego 110% of the players wage within their salary cap. Puts a bit more burn on poaching players that aren't yet free agents.

Unfortunately the horse has bolted and afl has already rolled on free agency without getting concessions.

The fans are the ones who suffer. these players make big coin and don't "love the club" anymore
Fans are more loyal to their club than they are to wives/husbands or friends etc.. the bod between the fan and their club is strong and unbreakable but there comes a time where you have to let go a bit.. im close to saying "im done" why? players leaving, poor decisions by the club, choking on the field, no flag or even a GF appearance in 19 years... its frustrating

I think you've captured the sentiment.

If we are now in a world where players feel no loyalty, and Adelaide is at a competitive disadvantage in the player market being a two team town, then why should the fans have loyalty anymore.

AFL really needs to consider recruitment zones for all clubs with academy rules applying to your zone - perhaps for round 1 (and 2?) draft picks. Give us a competitive advantage with local talent.

It's the prevailing view amongst a reasonable proportion of the players which that campaigner Dangerfield espoused. It's a "hobby" for us.

If that's the way enough of them look at it I'm more than content to find another hobby.

What would it take for you to say "That's it - I'm done!!!"?

Do you think the AFL is a corrupt organisation which manufactures results/success to certain individuals/teams for 'feel good' stories (no you can't trade another first rounder - no wait, yes you can).

Do you think the drafting/trading/free agent system produces systematic bias against non-Vic clubs?

Are you sick of 'homesick' campaigners leaving all the time, and the way the media portrays them? (Lever vs Gibbs vs Ablett)

How many more young stars can we lose before it's enough?

For me, if Lever goes, I'm ready to say "**** it" and give up on the AFL for a while. If Gov went too, it would be a long while. What's the point of becoming emotionally involved with the 'building' of a team, if it's not feasible/sustainable, and the players don't actually care which club is paying them the money?

I love footy, love the Crows, but hate the current state of the competition regarding team-building and loyalty.
You had me at PD winning the flag ......

I think I would be physically ill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think I could. This game played at a high level is just something else. It is a great game that can only really be understood by those passionate about it, and for mine, if I have to tolerate the absolute bullshit that goes on off field, I will. But that doesn't mean I will take it quietly

The fans are the ones who suffer. these players make big coin and don't "love the club" anymore
Fans are more loyal to their club than they are to wives/husbands or friends etc.. the bod between the fan and their club is strong and unbreakable but there comes a time where you have to let go a bit.. im close to saying "im done" why? players leaving, poor decisions by the club, choking on the field, no flag or even a GF appearance in 19 years... its frustrating
If u want to follow a club with regular success in the modern game support Hawthorn.

They are the only club to have prolonged success in the 80s/90s and this century.

I mean, what is the point of something like that?

No point.

No point?

What's the point in being alive?

Beats me. We're stuck with it I suppose.

To pay tax and die in answer to your question.

What's the point in being alive?

rodin-the-thinker-silhouette-rodin-the-thinker-silhouette-CHUO2t-clipart.jpg

People say the players should have loyalty.

Why?

It is a draft system. These guys were picked as 18 year old kids to play at a club they most likely have no personal affiliation with other than being picked by that club by the recruiters. If club x did not pick them, club y would.

Why do they need to show loyalty in such a system?

Why?

It is a draft system. These guys were picked as 18 year old kids to play at a club they most likely have no personal affiliation with other than being picked by that club by the recruiters. If club x did not pick them, club y would.

All the more reason to introduce academy/zoning for all.

The last few years have destroyed any centimentality I have towards our players. I no longer give a s**t who leaves the club, all I care about is getting a fair deal. I can stand losing guys like Danger but what really kills me is getting nothing of value for him.

The current Free Agency system asbolutely sucks because it's fully tailored to suit the needs of the players with no thought of protecting the clubs. They should immediately change the rules to allow clubs to trade players regardless of their own will (like in American sports). This would allow clubs to auction off leaving players to the highest bidder, as it should be.

* if they want to make it fairer, they could allow players to nominate a state to play in rather than a specific club. This way homesick players can still get home, and the affected club is still able to get currency.

Last edited:

Why?

Harley Balic likes this.

Back