Autopsy Rd 15 Gcs v Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgive me if it's already been said as I haven't read through the previous pages, but given the fact we played Ziebell & Thomas as back flankers & Waite on the wing - are we tanking?

No if we'd kicked straight and other players had delivered we'd have kicked 10 in the first.

He was brought in specifically to cover for Marley Williams after not playing at this level for months. Naturally it took him some time to get into the pace of the game but by the end he was playing very well, and many of the criticisms you normally have of him weren't there. Maybe because he wasn't on the forward line. By half time I thought his career was over myself, but in the third he played himself into the game a bit and in the last he was very good. I was sitting behind the GC goals and he constantly won the ball on the backline and did useful things with it. He looked far classier than our other backmen especially the poockets/flakers (they were typos but I'm leaving them in to reinforce the point.)

I was genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised that he played that well.

FWIW.

(edited to add the bolded "normally")
He didn't come in to specifically cover for Williams as he was played forward. So we had a plan for the possibility of Williams not playing and that was taking a guy that has played stuff all football as an emergency. It's absolutely bollocks. If LT is in our plans going forward he should have been playing 2's to get some match practice and we give the other Williams a chance to play up forward.

Forgive me if it's already been said as I haven't read through the previous pages, but given the fact we played Ziebell & Thomas as back flankers & Waite on the wing - are we tanking?

I think the general consensus is that we are experimenting.;)

Hilarious people thinking we are tanking. Anyone else think Mr Scott has been given a few directions with the players Example, Waite to a wing as Daw needs games, Dumont rested, Ziebell at half back, Thomas after half time at half back

Hilarious people thinking we are tanking. Anyone else think Mr Scott has been given a few directions with the players Example, Waite to a wing as Daw needs games, Dumont rested, Ziebell at half back, Thomas after half time at half back

You don't think that is Claytons tanking?

"The tanking you have when you're not having a tank"

It's funny how some people here having a go at a kid playing his 2nd game of AFL...
Won't make it apparently. I think two games is more than enough of a sample to make that call.

I remember many moons ago seeing a weedy little bloke with a very dodgy looking flat top haircut in his first couple of games and confidently predicting to a mate that "this kid has no idea, he'll never make it".

The kid was Anthony Stevens.

He didn't come in to specifically cover for Williams as he was played forward. So we had a plan for the possibility of Williams not playing and that was taking a guy that has played stuff all football as an emergency. It's absolutely bollocks. If LT is in our plans going forward he should have been playing 2's to get some match practice and we give the other Williams a chance to play up forward.

You're right he was named forward. I assumed he was in for Williams cos the first time I saw him do anything was on the backline in the second quarter. I saw Arden at the game and we were talking about him and I assumed he was in for (M) Williams. I dunno who he kept out tho. Who would you have included instead? (Probably J Williams?)

Either way he played himself into form in the last half and looked much better than anyone else down there except maybe Taz. Especially from behind the Suns goal in the last. So he should stay in the side for now I reckon.

I know I like him so it'd be easy to fall into confirmation bias but I genuinely didn't expect to see him play that well down back and there was a point where I was thinking wtte of "... holy s**t he's probably our best player right now, that can't be right..." Apart from the first 10 minutes of the game that was when we looked the best all night too.

The thing that I'd like to stress stood out about what he did was how quickly he made decisions about where to deliver the ball and how well that worked out most of the time.

In the second quarter, and when Thomas didn't have it, it was atrocious. It was Fish running from pocket to pocket desperately trying to see somewhere to deliver the ball. Then booting it long to another lost contest. Thomas spotted good options and hit them immediately keeping the Suns on the back foot and making it alot easier for us to break out of their forward line. It interfered with their ability to bring forward pressure. Something they were doing very well until he started to find the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't make it apparently. I think two games is more than enough of a sample to make that call.

I remember many moons ago seeing a weedy little bloke with a very dodgy looking flat top haircut in his first couple of games and confidently predicting to a mate that "this kid has no idea, he'll never make it".

The kid was Anthony Stevens.
Thats your fault you cant pick a player when you see one.

At one point it was 13-7 to 6-13.

I don't think we were as godawful as the board would have you believe. Team-wise I thought we did OK. There were some issues with individual players but it is what it is. We're not exactly killing it this year, but it's a weird feeling knowing we're playing out time until the free agency and draft periods.

At one point it was 13-7 to 6-13.

I don't think we were as godawful as the board would have you believe. Team-wise I thought we did OK. There were some issues with individual players but it is what it is. We're not exactly killing it this year, but it's a weird feeling knowing we're playing out time until the free agency and draft periods.

If we had of kicked straight we would have won. That's not tanking.

ok tell me then?
Oh I said put a line through Hibberd, he wont be any good.
Oh thats trash talking? I must be doing it right................

You want to be embarrassed again and howled down....sure....brb

You've made plenty of bold predictions regarding players who won't make it, and clearly you rate yourself as someone who can pick a player when you see one, so put yourself out there and tell us who you think has what it takes.

Should know....has been watching VFL closely.

Basic skill execution continues to be this teams greatest downfall.
If that's the case, then we need better coaches....stating the blooming obvious, and in addition to Brad, why aren't the other coaches not being criticised or brought to account?....who are the other coaches?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back