Autopsy Heartbreaking loss to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought our ball movement through the middle when it came off was the classier of the two sides, Shame we turned it over so much. I'd expect our kicking will get better as the troops continue to gel and St Kilda won with marks inside 50 and turning possession into a scoring shots. We're playing some admirable footy for a young bunch (I bet Sandi being out brings the average game count downa bit), could be the perfect unintended tank season.

Last edited:
2017-07-03 09_03_42-Book1 - Excel.png
This is where we are at basically in terms of games played (orange line is the Saints). Even against a team that has only just completed a rebuild, but is still looking for few guys to build closer to 80 games, we are massively inexperienced in our bottom half of our current 22. This doesn't allow for the fact that Sandi effectively didn't play by the way.
I think this gives you a better perspective than things like average (i.e. mean) games played or ages since they tend to smooth things out. (e.g. our mean age is 9 months younger and games played only 19 less, but our median games played was 30 less. That's a lot.)

Pretty happy with where we are at.

Last edited:

View attachment 388462
This is where we are at basically in terms of games played (orange line is the Saints). Even against a team that has only just completed a rebuild, but is still looking for few guys to build closer to 80 games, we are massively inexperienced in our bottom half of our current 22. This doesn't allow for the fact that Sandi effectively didn't play by the way.
I think this gives you a better perspective than things like average (i.e. mean) games played or ages since they tend to smooth things out. (e.g. our mean age on 9 months younger and games played only 19 less, but our median games played was 30 less. That's a lot.)

Pretty happy with where we are at.
So the mid to top end is pretty much the same, but our kids are miles off on experienced. Probably reflected in the end too.

I agree, we are going ok.

Bottom line is our players are good enough, the game plan is not. The fact that the coach refuses to change it or even fix the glaring tactical issues is an indictment on himself and the club.

That's why this loss is a Lyon sycophant's wet dream. They get to carp on about Lyon's rebuilding, Suban being a star AFL footballer, and all the 'if only' excuses.
Ah surprise surprise ....back posting after another loss ...due indefensibly and totally to footballs devil incarnate ross lyon!
Id love to know your thoughts on who you 'blame' when fremantle win...but strangely enough you dont post when they do...funny that

The rule is 100% clear, if you throw the ball back to the wrong player it's a 50m penalty. Can't blame the umpire for the rule.

FFS Riewoldt held his hands out and called for the ball, Logue threw it straight back to him but he turned his back and appealed for a fifty.

Umpire got sucked in and paid it,

No one is disputing the ruling, but it was a con job by Riewoldt similar to the Boomer incident when he knocked the ball out of Priddis's hands and appealed for the free

He probably would've kicked the goal from there anyway

FFS Riewoldt held his hands out and called for the ball, Logue threw it straight back to him but he turned his back and appealed for a fifty.

No one is disputing the ruling, but it was a con job by Riewoldt similar to the Boomer incident when he knocked the ball out of Priddis's hands and appealed for the free

Yet if Fyfe or Mundy did the same thing to win the game we would all be saying how smart it was and how dumb the opposition player was for not throwing it back to the correct person.

Yet if Fyfe or Mundy did the same thing to win the game we would all be saying how smart it was and how dumb the opposition player was for not throwing it back to the correct person.

And if my aunty had balls she be my uncle

Fact is Riewoldt did it not Mundy or Fyfe

I'd spend the rest of the season kicking to leading forwards. Only use the top of the square kick as a last resort. If our players can hit a target inside 50 then even our smalls become valid leading targets.

Really, we should let the structure do the bulk of the work and free up the individuals. The presence of certain of our forwards should dictate where their tallest and best defenders are and where their loose man is likely to go. We should be dictating what holes are opened up for our other forwards to lead to. But it seems as if our one and only tactic is to all bunch together and get in each others way at the hotspot.

e.g. a tall threat near the goalsquare forces the opponents to defend the area and lets other forwards spread elsewhere in the f50 - which means of those, 1 may get separation and becomes your target.

Or if the ball is coming in from a wing, they move 10-15 meters to one side or the other of the goal square - or to half forward and draw defenders - to open up the space for others to run in (etc). There are a few ways to clear some space for others to work with, but damn, we suck at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really, we should let the structure do the bulk of the work and free up the individuals. The presence of certain of our forwards should dictate where their tallest and best defenders are and where their loose man is likely to go. We should be dictating what holes are opened up for our other forwards to lead to. But it seems as if our one and only tactic is to all bunch together and get in each others way at the hotspot.

e.g. a tall threat near the goalsquare forces the opponents to defend the area and lets other forwards spread elsewhere in the f50 - which means of those, 1 may get separation and becomes your target.

Or if the ball is coming in from a wing, they move 10-15 meters to one side or the other of the goal square - or to half forward and draw defenders - to open up the space for others to run in (etc). There are a few ways to clear some space for others to work with, but damn, we suck at it.

You need to actually have people in the forward line to do that.....just sayin'

I don't watch every saints game but he probably does it every week and Logue was the first person to ever fall for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back