Player Watch #32 Tomas Bugg - Departing MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got an axe to grind and here is as good a place as any.

I don't like the idea of further increasing penalties for standoffs such as the Bugg situation.

This isn't saying that what Bugg did isn't wrong - you can't knock a guy out. But at some point the initiator also needs to be held to blame. On the football field, you have people saying all sorts of s**t to try and rile up their opponent and get in their head, as well as using physical tactics - arm grabs, pulls, jumper punches etc - to try and get in their head. We've watched for weeks now as opponents have targeted Bugg and others, likely based on what he is saying on the field. Everyone laments the pest in modern footy.

But there's no caveat in the rules for a response to the pest. You're expected to simply outplay them, to brush it off and go about your footy. In an era where we've seen multiple players in the last couple of years take time away from the game for mental health issues, the onfield turd remains. Sledging in a way is glorified bullying in a close personal sense. We saw the reaction with the Mitch Clark sledge that ended up being about his teammate, as well as the Marc Murphy sledge, and the kind of responses they generated. But what aren't we seeing?

Now, as I said, I'm not saying the pest deserves it per se - but at some point, if you go around jumper punching and making a turd of yourself...you're going to get hit on the footy field. It's ugly, it's not what anyone wants, but bad behaviour begets bad behaviour.

The Fahour incident is different. The guy has charged across the field to engage. I'm talking about the other ones - Hall on Staker, Bugg on Mills - where the player who is ostensibly the 'victim' has actually been an ongoing turd and pushed someone over the edge.
Bugg is as much an onfield turd as anyone in the game and most of us on this board loved that about him.

I agree with you that 6 weeks is a fair whack and probably doesn't need to be increased further, but there were a lot of options for Bugg to take and punching his head probably wasn't the best one. He could just get on with playing footy, He could engage in some harmless niggle with Mills, he could clean him up at the next contest legally (aka the Viney option and my personal favourite)

Bugg, still the source of this weeks awkward conversations with friends

"So how you gonnna defend what bugg did?"
"i don't"

"Calm down mate, let it go"
OR
"Don't you support your team anymore, what a fair-weather supporter"

Sledging in a way is glorified bullying in a close personal sense. We saw the reaction with the Mitch Clark sledge that ended up being about his teammate, as well as the Marc Murphy sledge, and the kind of responses they generated. But what aren't we seeing?

It really isn't. If someone can say something to you that causes you to completely lose the plot, that's on you. The effect of sledging is completely overstated - 99.9% of the time it is your garden variety "hurr durr you're s**t" type stuff. If you can't handle that, consider growing up.

Was it one of those instances where he intended to push/hit him but didn't give enough care as to where his fist was headed?

Yep I actually think this is bang on, went to smack him on the chest/shoulder & flushed him on the chin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What does a diversity officer do?
Advocate for more Halal Snack Pack at AFL grounds.

At least that's what I'll be doing if my application is successful. I've got dark skin and a beard so I'm certainly qualified.

Anyway, Tomas Bugg:
Goddamn how unlucky can you be. That was legitimately the weakest jab I've ever seen in my life. Alongside the noise with Houli it's no surprise the MRP went over the top- they have to look like they're serious in condemning on-field violence.

Mills wouldn't be the first player who is susceptible to concussion... He should probably give Gus a call :(

Anyone have any idea what Buggs motivation (reasoning) was for the hit?
Apparently Mills told him the Hosier Lane mural was capped.

I really like Buggy and I think he is really important for our teams mojo. He is cocksure and arrogant in how he plays and, when he's up and about, others get onboard. That said, I reckon he's been pretty s**t for the last month. Even in our wins.

I really like Buggy and I think he is really important for our teams mojo. He is cocksure and arrogant in how he plays and, when he's up and about, others get onboard. That said, I reckon he's been pretty s**t for the last month. Even in our wins.

He's been playing as a pseudo full forward and bringing the ball to ground I'd say he was doing his job well.

I reckon he's been pretty s**t for the last month.
2 goals, five tackles, two goal assists, 9 score involvements(?) against the Dogs. Had a fantastic first half.
2 goals against Collingwood.
17 disposals against Gold Coast.
1 knock out punch against Callum Mills.

As far as role players go, he's been bloody good.

Let's see how Kent goes against the Blues, but I reckon Bugg is comfortably Best 22.

Disclaimer: I'm Tomas' mum.

His game against Sydney he was horrible and was average at best vs the eagles, had a couple good games before that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had forgotten this bloke played for us.

Back through casey pls.

You'd hope so. Certainly shouldn't be gifted his spot back unless we're really down on numbers.

Casey? **** no.

Since the Bugg suspension the Demons have failed to kick 100 points in a game.

A well-timed run against the Lions to clear out the cobwebs, and he'll be prime for finals :thumbsu:
100% have played all our shittest games without this campaigner

Our losses to the Kangaroos, Hawks and Dockers say hi.
Combined total of those losses is less than 10 points, wasn't it?

In any case, Bugg did his bit in at least two of those losses: 20 disposals against the Hawks, and an outrageous last quarter against Freo (eight disposals, four clearances, three tackles, two forward 50 entries and two score launches.)

Not only is he best-22, I think he's made an exceptional case for the leadership group.

Not only is he best-22, I think he's made an exceptional case for the leadership group.

Well then, Salem just put his leadership credentials forward as well and they're just as good.

He's been out for 6 weeks for giving someone a jab in the chops. Best 22 is off the mark (Pedo, Milkshakes, Hannan, Garlett, Harmes, Weedyman, Hogan, Watts, Petracca, TMac all likely to get a gig ahead of him in the forwards, so you might be able to make a case for him as the utility?) - he played a handful of good games, some pretty ordinary ones and a few terrible ones. I can't see him coming straight back in after six weeks on the sidelines for poor discipline and I doubt he's been the missing link with our mediocre recent form. Guess we'll see.

Well then, Salem just put his leadership credentials forward as well and they're just as good.

He's been out for 6 weeks for giving someone a jab in the chops. Best 22 is off the mark (Pedo, Milkshakes, Hannan, Garlett, Harmes, Weedyman, Hogan, Watts, Petracca, TMac all likely to get a gig ahead of him in the forwards, so you might be able to make a case for him as the utility?) - he played a handful of good games, some pretty ordinary ones and a few terrible ones. I can't see him coming straight back in after six weeks on the sidelines for poor discipline and I doubt he's been the missing link with our mediocre recent form. Guess we'll see.
Just to be clear: when you say "pretty ordinary", you mean "outstanding", right?

Watts said everyone plays better and with more confidence with Bugg in the team. I'm inclined to agree with this statement. Watts has turned into a complete spud without him around, Petracca & Salem have also degenerated noticeably.

Could be a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back