The 2017 Rolling All-Australian Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect few positions in the final 22 will be taken by players from Melbourne based teams. As it is stands only 3 of the final 8 will be Melbourne based teams.
It's actually four pending results and how does the state/team the player is from affect the team? Sydney had 5 players named last year so isn't that bias?

lol at Carlton fans needing something to cheer about. An injured Sinclair - a journeyman at best - pretty much matched Kreuzer. Special-K had a purple patch in the 2nd q when matched against a 189cm pinch hitter.

I watched Docherty closely yesterday. He was by no means the worst and got some contested possies. He played the outlet role but struggled as soon as pressure was applied. I thought the ageless Simpson was your best player.

Thought AA was over 22 games !!

Docherty was ok yesterday , but has been much better most of the year !!

A key forward is a key forward. I never understand these arguments about FF v CHF. If Brown had a better season than Daniher then he'll be next picked as the 3rd tall.

But once you start comparing players who play different roles it becomes harder and harder to argue who had a better season.

It could be my bias but I struggle to see an argument Brown ahead of Daniher even if you were to compare the two.

But once you start comparing players who play different roles it becomes harder and harder to argue who had a better season.

It could be my bias but I struggle to see an argument Brown ahead of Daniher even if you were to compare the two.

Spot on Ambrosia. Same as comparing Kennedy and Buddy. Bit of a nonsense really. Though I do evilly wonder what would be the case had Daniher made the sensible choice. Of course he'd be on lower $s but imagine his development in a blue collar culture.

You have to compare them, that's unavoidable. You're making it sound like the selectors will pick Franklin at CHF and Kennedy at FF. Then just dismiss Brown because he can only be selected as a FF? Whereas Daniher can be picked anywhere?

RE: Franklin vs Kennedy vs Brown vs Daniher vs Walker:

As a key forward playing in a good side you get more inside 50s and better quality delivery. But teams structure their defences around that.

As a key forward playing in a s**t side you get less inside 50s and lower quality delivery. But teams don't focus so much on defence so you potentially get more one on one opportunities.

If you play for a team like Adelaide with multiple targets you get a lesser share or forward entries, but 2nd/3rd defenders can't as freely play third man up.

If you play for a team like North/WC where you are the main target you get a higher share of forward entries, but can often be outnumbered.

As a general rule, key forwards kick goals at the same rate they mark the ball inside 50. Obviously not all from set shots, but that's the trend. Kennedy is at 4 per game for both, Brown/Daniher just under 3 for both, Walker 2.5 for both. Franklin the 'oversized flanker' is the odd one out at 3 goals/2.5 marks inside 50 (I swear he kicks a goal from 60 on the left flank each week...), while Jack Riewoldt is the reverse at 2.5/3.5.

lol at Carlton fans needing something to cheer about. An injured Sinclair - a journeyman at best - pretty much matched Kreuzer. Special-K had a purple patch in the 2nd q when matched against a 189cm pinch hitter.

I watched Docherty closely yesterday. He was by no means the worst and got some contested possies. He played the outlet role but struggled as soon as pressure was applied. I thought the ageless Simpson was your best player.

Well as you watched Docherty yesterday you are clearly an expert on his season, we'll bow down to your superior knowledge based on this one game.

Ryder will be the AA ruck but Kreuzer is a clear 2nd. Squad at least.

I expect few positions in the final 22 will be taken by players from Melbourne based teams. As it is stands only 3 of the final 8 will be Melbourne based teams.

Almost as if things like ability of coaches, conditioning staff, role players and list depth might be taken into account on determining finals positions as well as elite players...

Docherty, Kreuzer, Howe, T.Mitchell, Brown, Macrae and Bontempelli likely the only non-top 8 Melbourne nominations I can think of. Only Docherty and T.Mitchell would be likely I think (haven't done a team yet so unsure).

Daniher, Merrett, Hurley, Oliver, Hibberd, Jetta, Rance, Martin the 3 Melbourne top 8 sides (probably) AA contenders - none would be a joke selection, max only one of Hibberd/Jetta would make it.

15 of 40, yet 9/18 sides. Melbourne bias my ass.

Crouch, Laird, Walker, Betts, Jacobs, B.Smith, Zorko, Dangerfield, Selwood, Kelly, Shiel, Greene, Gray, Ryder, Kennedy, Parker, Grundy, Franklin, Kennedy, Yeo...

I've forgotten a few (don't even have 40 named) but pretty confident there's no Melbourne bias based on this.

Williams is nowhere near the team following his form after the bye. He's been really hot and cold, and not AA quality.
Are you referring to the two games he missed through injury?

Or the game where he was down because he was injured in it.

He's been good all season bar the missed games and the injury impacted games. I'd say he will definitely make the squad. Besides a few cheap uncontested possessions/marks he matches or has Docherty covered for example in most of the others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett is a 'nice' neat player but not AA. Stands out at the Dons because the midfield is otherwise pedestrian
I thought that when our midfield came back this year, he was supposed to dip in productivity?
Instead, he was better than last year.

Reckon Adelaide & West Coast players have been way over represented through the years !!

They always have a rep on the selection committee !!

You have to compare them, that's unavoidable. You're making it sound like the selectors will pick Franklin at CHF and Kennedy at FF. Then just dismiss Brown because he can only be selected as a FF? Whereas Daniher can be picked anywhere?

I'm not trying to make it sound it so black and white. I just if we were to say Daniher and Brown are even (a statement I'd disagree with) then Daniher would be picked ahead based on being a better fit.

Franklin / Kennedy should be the key forwards

Then do you go Ryder / Kreuzer or chose one of them with Daniher / Brown ??

Reckon Adelaide & West Coast players have been way over represented through the years !!

They always have a rep on the selection committee !!

We've had 49 since 1991 when they started naming the team as they do now.

So about 8-9% of players selected when we have been about 6-7% of teams playing in that time. We have been a pretty consistent finalist, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back