AFL 2017 First Elimination Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles 19:20 ACST Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Free kick every day of the week.

The tackle started fine , shuey tried to shrug it off and broke the tackle, Polec could have let go and not gone high but clearly shuey would have been free to run off and take a shot, but instead Polec gritted his teeth , went harder on the tackle and ended up ripping his head off.

Dermie absolutely destroyed Eddie in that debate on the free kick. Interesting that Jordan Lewis said it was his pet hate (like a lot of us) and mentioned this exact action was shown in the umpiring video in the pre season before biting his tongue a bit. Jordan Lewis might be a knob in his own right on the field, but there's definitely players out there that hate it as much as us.

The good news is that it will probably lead to the Selwood arm raise FINALLY being out of the game in 2018. I also wanted WCE to win and it added to the drama of an incredible game. You can't kick a footy better than Shuey did under any greater pressure (well apart from a Grand Final). So holistically I'm glad the free was paid. Port fans might see it differently though!

Nah * that the game doesn't need any more advantages for tacklers, it has become too defensive as it is.
Just put the onus on the tackler to tackle properly like you used to have to, and watch the game get a lot less messy.

Dermie absolutely destroyed Eddie in that debate on the free kick. Interesting that Jordan Lewis said it was his pet hate (like a lot of us) and mentioned this exact action was shown in the umpiring video in the pre season before biting his tongue a bit. Jordan Lewis might be a knob in his own right on the field, but there's definitely players out there that hate it as much as us.

The good news is that it will probably lead to the Selwood arm raise FINALLY being out of the game in 2018. I also wanted WCE to win and it added to the drama of an incredible game. You can't kick a footy better than Shuey did under any greater pressure (well apart from a Grand Final). So holistically I'm glad the free was paid. Port fans might see it differently though!

That's ironic as Jordan Lewis was one of the culprits during the hey days of milking free kicks

Technically Shuey didn't duck but he dropped his knees and threw his head back, he played for a free kick and the idiot umpire rewarded it.

You can't defend that, it was a pathetic way to decide a close game.
It's the lifting of the arm. I don't know how this can be more obvious after McLean perfected it. Wasn't as obvious but he did draw it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingards miss from 5 meters out was the chance to finish it. Plus they had about 4 others. Choking and then blaming the umpires won't Do them any good.

The tackle started fine , shuey tried to shrug it off and broke the tackle, Polec could have let go and not gone high but clearly shuey would have been free to run off and take a shot, but instead Polec gritted his teeth , went harder on the tackle and ended up ripping his head off.

Just realised it was Polec, shattering for the bloke, he had a huge last quarter! Defo free kick though.

If anyone ever suggests that football is not the greatest sport of all, show them this from about 5min to go in the last.

How good was it? I love finals when the players are tired, because all the bullshit that the coaches have infected the game with over the years goes out the window and it just comes down to effort, instinct, guts and a bit of luck.

Yep it was a lazy tackle, Melbourne do 20 of them a game. A strong, legal tackle won't allow the shrug and arm raise to force the high tackle. Lazy tacklers get penalised. There is no way the umpire let's that go.

If you duck into a tackle you generally don't have an opportunity to break the tackle.

Whereas the shrug is actually quite effective at breaking tackles to continue play (Selwood actually does it heaps), it should be considered a legitimate option for the player being tackled and the onus is on the tackler to keep the tackle lower.

Whereas someone ducking and falling (which really is what we saw 90% of the time with the old ducking rules, or picking the ball up and running into a stomach) isn't a legitimate option to break the tackle and continue play.
Oh really? Selwood shrugs to get frees in tackles? I never noticed :rolleyes:

As soon as you cause the high contact, it shouldnt be a free. Shrug all you want, but shrugging makes the tacklers arm slide into the neck. Then it should be play on.
The ducks the same. It can be used to avoid tackles and you still can do it, you just wont get a free for it.

The dropping the knees and shrugging should be the same. Do it all you want, you just won't get a high free anymore.

It was technically a free but my God you would be whinging if it was against the crows. Masterfully drawn free kick.

Nah **** that the game doesn't need any more advantages for tacklers, it has become too defensive as it is.
Just put the onus on the tackler to tackle properly like you used to have to, and watch the game get a lot less messy.

I feel you may have a little to much skin in this game to be objective. Those tackles that slide up after a shrug were all good tackles back in the day (often pinning the players arms to their body to make disposal difficult), they became bad after a trick introduced by some brothers, and when the rules eventually get around to stopping the trick, the fans of all clubs without a Selwood on the list will be very happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back