AFL 2017 First Elimination Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles 19:20 ACST Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

A few Port players are going to be haunted by their mistakes in this game. There is no way this mentally helps them for the future. They will remember this choke forever, especially Dixon.
Yeah dixon had 2 chances to ice the game but choked
Wingards miss from 5 meters out was the chance to finish it. Plus they had about 4 others. Choking and then blaming the umpires won't Do them any good.
port supporters aren't blaming free, I only saw it once quickly as 7 seem too scared to replay it. Ports are blaming their own rubbish goalkicking and poor forward structure

It was technically a free but my God you would be whinging if it was against the crows. Masterfully drawn free kick.
Not really. I would be annoyed with Polec for not sticking the tackle initially. In slow mo you can see shuey had broken the tackle and Polec had to grit his teeth to try and cling on but went high. I didn't think the decision was controversial at all. Would pay it every time. Would be furious if it wasn't paid to us .

Just realised it was Polec, shattering for the bloke, he had a huge last quarter! Defo free kick though.

It's just fitting that an epic game in this modern day was decided by a contentious ducking, arm lifting, one knee, leaning, free kick to a serial milker of free kicks.

In all seriousness bad luck port fans. I got family that are port supporters and went to the game so I know it hurts. And well done to eagles.

Entertaining finish for neutrals. Still don't think it was great quality, but was great desperation and edge of your seat finish. Can't ask for much more Han that as a neutral.

Gws to take out the weagles next week and set up a gws Richmond prelim. And that could go either way as well..

I'm still on the floor laughing - brilliant stuff.

Couldn't script it better than a Hitchcock thriller.

Still didn't beat a side in the top 8 at the time they played them.
Incorrect. Sydney were equal top when we beat them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think Port should have kicked about 20 goals tonight. They found a way to top each choke after the other. My jaw was on the floor 5 minutes to go in the last qtr, and when they lost the game after being 13 pts up with all the momentum in ET, my jaw fell off. Amazing performance by Port, but not in a good way.

I feel you may have a little to much skin in this game to be objective. Those tackles that slide up after a shrug were all good tackles back in the day (often pinning the players arms to their body to make disposal difficult), they became bad after a trick introduced by some brothers, and when the rules eventually get around to stopping the trick, the fans of all clubs without a Selwood on the list will be very happy.

Poor, lazy argument just citing the club I barrack for.
As a kid the lesson was to get low and tackle the hips. Even around the elbows you apply much more torque on the shoulder joint and hence its a lot less risky.
Just tackle properly.

That's ironic as Jordan Lewis was one of the culprits during the hey days of milking free kicks

No he wasn't - I'll give you Pop and Sicily but not Tazz

No point focusing on the free being given when they've continued to pay it all year. I think though that such will be the backlash that Selwood/s won't get a single free next week. Port had their chances and blew it - commentary was blowing smoke up dixons arse all night but the reality is he kicked 3:6 and some were sitters

Ken Hinkley is a sharp shooter - will he do a Clarko and call the umps out

LOL

Port got that many shady or non calls in that last 45 minutes it was embarrassing.

Two blokes ran through the mark on half back when Shuey first had it. Mind you, he was called back from advantage too.

And the Petrie free should've been reversed. And deliberate out of bounds.

If Port want sympathy, look in the dictionary between s**t and syphilis!

(100% that last free was a Duckwood)

92a595299ba465ffa3ed531d7ddf0b26.jpg

Nice reference man! and I totally agree with the rest of your post. Port got an armchair ride from the umpires for most of the night. Turnabout is pair play.

They dominated the 2nd qtr, the 3rd qtr and the first bit of the 4th qtr but just couldn't put the score on the board. Dixons 3.6 could've easily been 6.3.

It sucks for Port that the game was decided by an obvious duck from the 2nd biggest ducker in the league but it didn't have to be that way if Port had capitalized when they should've.

Priddis, McGovern and Petrie were fantastic. Kennedy should've come up the ground and gotten involved. That said, the Eagles didn't win that game. Port lost it.

It's the very thing the players and everyone else were told at the start of the year that they would not get a free kick for, as they've caused the high contact by raising the elbow up to make the tackle slide up.

Eagles did well to win, and most of us wanted them to, but the free shouldn't have been paid, just like 95% of the frees Selwood earns for doing the same thing every week.

Sorry mate but I never ever want to watch our sport where head high contact like that is not penalised. Its a weak tackle and was easily raised high.
I know what the rule says but still reckon 9 times out of 10 that one would be paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back