AFL 2017 First Elimination Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles 19:20 ACST Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The commentators had a nightmare tonight.

Darc, shoot me down but I actually don't mind him. He gets a pass.

But Richo, great bloke and everything, but some of the stuff he said was something you wouldn't hear out of kindergartener's mouth. "I think Ryder is being put off by having to nominate each time." He's literally done that 1000 times or more this season! "They're even having to nominate at boundary throw ins now." 10s of thousands of precedent! "100% Hurn goes down the middle here." Hurn chips sideways. LOL!

But I can forgive Richo for maybe getting foot in mouth and being a good commentator normally.

What I can't forgive is Basil, who is insufferable enough at the best of times, actually RESEARCHING and REHEARSING a remix of a Christmas song and then actually saying it on live TV. I'd have it in the top 5 of most cringeworthy moments in the history of commentary.

Wingards miss from 5 meters out was the chance to finish it. Plus they had about 4 others. Choking and then blaming the umpires won't Do them any good.

You'd do well to read your posts after losing to swans few weeks ago then reread this post lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate, typical classy response I would expect from a Tealster.

I'm more classy than the majority of your fans but given you live in China, what would you know how things are in Adelaide and the pro-Port bias of the paper media. The Power can do no wrong according to them and yet on a perfect Saturday night all the Power and its supporters can scrape together is a crowd of 41k for a home final (and there tickets were being sold for as low as $20-). Nothing more needs to be said.
You also have a persecution complex, 'oh the media are biased to port & against the crows' which is actually laughable in a very pro crow town
And Why are you so obsessed with port? I really couldn't care less about the crows, I am actually a proud south Ozzie, proud the crows are finally a genuine contender and I also attended their very first game. Your blind hatred and obsession with port are truly sad.

The commentators had a nightmare tonight.

Darc, shoot me down but I actually don't mind him. He gets a pass.

But Richo, great bloke and everything, but some of the stuff he said was something you wouldn't hear out of kindergartener's mouth. "I think Ryder is being put off by having to nominate each time." He's literally done that 1000 times or more this season! "They're even having to nominate at boundary throw ins now." 10s of thousands of precedent! "100% Hurn goes down the middle here." Hurn chips sideways. LOL!

But I can forgive Richo for maybe getting foot in mouth and being a good commentator normally.

You missed his assessment of Charlie Dixon, who he has a massive 'Boofhead Forward' Kindred Spirit man-crush thing going on.

Apparently, the fact that he kicked 3.6 - including several absolute sitters at key moments - was 'the only knock on his game'...

What a fraud of a side Port have been. Their draw determined their finishing position. Had they had a draw with a modicum of difficulty they would not have made the 8. Finishing the H&A in 5th and going the entire season and part of last season without beating a top 8 side - embarrassing.
No winning the spoon would be embarrassing, oh hang on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No winning the spoon would be embarrassing, oh hang on

Let us hope your club doesn't deflect that hard away from the truth. I will pray for you brother.

No doubt the are times it is hard to tackle, but I believe there is no god given right to an easy tackle every time.

Of course not, but for mine, once tackled the onus should be on the tackled player to dispose of the ball, not on the tackler to avoid infringing due to some cheap trick aimed at turning a legal tackle into an illegal one.

If you really do go for the hips you won't get them high, but I'll concede the tackle is likely to be less effective.

Still doesn't address the situation where you go at the hips, and the player deliberately lowers their hips below your tackle target which is what is happening in many of these situations.

I agree on the stricter holding the ball being necessary, but it should be coupled with being stricter on correct tackles and also holding the man. Unfortunately there is a "fewer frees makes for a better game" mantra these days that I just think is wrong.

It all depends on a bit of opinion in the end I guess. I just think the game has taken a bit of a downward turn as a spectacle since Paul Roos introduced manic tackling on an unprecedented scale.

Fair enough, but I don't think the way of dealing with that is to reward cheap tricks that are aimed at drawing a free by turning otherwise legal tackles into illegal ones (i.e. tackles that start legal and become illegal because of actions of the tackled player).

Good job by Shuey, but don't forget that guy (whatshisname) who ran the ball out of bounds to make the game go into extra time. In my estimation there are about 12 dozen ways of fcuking that move up but only 1 way of getting it right.

Mackenzie's saving of a point and making it an out of bounds instead ,was super human, and ridiculously exciting. The way he nearly broke himself in half on the point post to achieve his objective was the personification of desperation in defence.

Last edited:
It took all 22 Port players working together, to lose that one.

JRPH2zVLkf8LLDyS-V1f9w_Ad-xYRERevkkqpdnbc3yTT2bbXN00x6EPBIbIpv0l4yT9s4rcMK3Ppb_RhVRVQg8PEGfUtKs=w530-h298-p

Of course not, but for mine, once tackled the onus should be on the tackled player to dispose of the ball, not on the tackler to avoid infringing due to some cheap trick aimed at turning a legal tackle into an illegal one.

Still doesn't address the situation where you go at the hips, and the player deliberately lowers their hips below your tackle target which is what is happening in many of these situations.

Fair enough, but I don't think the way of dealing with that is to reward cheap tricks that are aimed at drawing a free by turning otherwise legal tackles into illegal ones (i.e. tackles that start legal and become illegal because of actions of the tackled player).

The problem is that most afl players are terrible tacklers. When you tackle you aim for the hips but you have to come from above and drive your arms and body down into the hips. Doing that both takes the player to ground and.stops the high slip. Players need to have rugby coaches teaching them to read their opponents movement through their hips.

In my opinion that free gets paid 8 out of 10 times. I get the anger but I think it was there.

Definitely there under the current rules. Consensus amongst most seems to be that the rules need changing. Not sure this was really properly addressed by the umpiring changes at the start of the year for head high contact, at least in the current interpretation they seem to be using the new guidelines to ignore players running their heads into contact, but the arm shrug to bring a tackle high, I've not really seen much change in this year. Maybe next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back