No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandenong were a bunch of pricks.

Before that game they interviewed the Dandenong fullback and ask him how he was going to stop Freddy Cook. His response was "I'll knock him out" the interviewer laughed like it was a joke.

Dandenong were a bunch of pricks.

Before that game they interviewed the Dandenong fullback and ask him how he was going to stop Freddy Cook. His response was "I'll knock him out" the interviewer laughed like it was a joke.
As were Port Melbourne. The Goss brothers (particularly Kevin) were just thugs & Bob Profitt was a mongrel. Gary Brice didn't mind dishing it out & Buster Harland wasn't far behind.

On field behaviour in the VFA during the '70s particularly & to an extent into the '80s was disgraceful (I remember a 19 year old Williamstown player, in his 4th senior game, having his jaw smashed in a behind the play incident by a Box Hill defender. The kid was never the same again).

Last edited:
how annoying the way the footy keeps interrupting the king hits - fmd........

Unfortunately Dandenong wanted to play the man....they lost the fights and the match. The footy skills weren't too bad. Fast open running game, with players in regular positions. Unlike today where we have players having to stop and do u turns because there is no forward line.:rainbow:

Motlop, Menzel and maybe one or two others must be essentially gone if they are going to get Ablett and Stringer..

What would Ablett even be worth? He'll probably only play 2018?

As were Port Melbourne. The Goss brothers (particularly Kevin) were just animals & Bob Profitt was a mongrel. Gary Brice didn't mind dishing it out & Buster Harland wasn't far behind.

On field behaviour in the VFA during the '70s particularly & to an extent into the '80s was disgraceful (I remember a 19 year old Williamstown player, in his 4th senior game, having his jaw smashed in a behind the play incident by a Box Hill defender. The kid was never the same again).

Agreed. Some of the behaviour would make cage fighting look like a frolic. It was hard and tough in those days, and there were a lot of squibs that sat on the fringes who king hit people. How nobody died is beyond me.

Motlop, Menzel and maybe one or two others must be essentially gone if they are going to get Ablett and Stringer..

And probably 10 games fit.....

players played in their set positions - wtf? wonder if fc was already on the gear back then?

Occasionally when I despair at the state of the game, I pull out the DVD's and watch the matches in the 80's. Kicking to a pack, rolling the dice....part of the beauty of the game. They all keep going on about Leo Barry's mark in 2005 which was great, but that was standard in the 70's/80's/90's. Jezza took screamers every second week, but they didn't have the camera's at every game to record them.

And probably 10 games fit.....
Menzel as dangerous as he is, would be a huge risk for a club, with his history of knee problems.
Motlop would be a great fit for us. He is pacy (which we desperately need) and can turn a game, and would be part of the new three amigos at Carlton. I understand he has his downside, but the skill is there and being delisted could be the kick in the pants he needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Occasionally when I despair at the state of the game, I pull out the DVD's and watch the matches in the 80's. Kicking to a pack, rolling the dice....part of the beauty of the game. They all keep going on about Leo Barry's mark in 2005 which was great, but that was standard in the 70's/80's/90's. Jezza took screamers every second week, but they didn't have the camera's at every game to record them.

it's the moment that makes it generational, not the mark itself

Hope they get them. Ablett is probably good for 10-12 games per year and Stringer has already won his flag, he is only in it for the money and a good time. What do they do with Hawkins? Do not be surprised if he is offered up as trade bait.

Hope they get them. Ablett is probably good for 10-12 games per year and Stringer has already won his flag, he is only in it for the money and a good time. What do they do with Hawkins? Do not be surprised if he is offered up as trade bait.

I'm still not sure why they picked up Aaron Black, why didn't they just hang on to Shane Kersten... seems odd to me.

I really hope it doesn't get done now..'

Seems utterly unprofessional to hold a club at ransom with statements like that

Retire then.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/37232501/gary-ablett-requests-trade-home-to-geelong/

If he doesn't get the trade he wishes, Ablett has announced through his manager Liam Pickering that he will be retiring, meaning there is no way he has any future at the Suns.

"He said he would retire. He told them today," Pickering told Foxfooty.com.au.

GC should only entertain offers from all other victorian clubs except Geelong, as a bit of a laugh.

Anyway, when the hell does the AFL announce the AFLW expansion teams? I thought it was supposed to be announced today after yesterdays meeting.

No way I would be funding his retirement if I was the Cats, Ablett simply wants them to cover the cost of his move home.

Minimum salary with incentives for games played and other KPI's or he can GAGF.

Suns should put out a statement wishing him well in his retirement without even waiting for an offer.

Entitled s**t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back