Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to get a transcript of the chat Dyson had with Jake yesty

dys.jpg hey knackerbags, how tricks?

jake.jpg not bad shagger, you?

dys.jpg yeh not bad tiger. Wanna come over nek year for a kick?

jake.jpg yeh nah, how is it over there?

dys.jpg yeh its all good m8, woosh is a cruisey knacker - good bunch of lads, no beverage....

jake.jpg ay? no beers ?

dys.jpg nah knackers, no bevo - you know.. old mate

jake.jpg oh yeh, cool - count me in

dys.jpg no worries - catch ya then

jake.jpg no worries ,sweet.

What's fantastic about him?

He is basically a younger version of Craig Bird.

His VFL form is as good as Howlett and Bird. I suppose that the difference is that Miles has shown the ability to consistently get 30 in the AFL.

I don't see any upside whatsoever. He can play but to me I'd prefer not to think of life with Miles as a best 22 player because it would mean that we've got players who our planning has been pinned on struggling big time.

Langford could not set the world on fire and still get to the level of Miles next year.

Gaff is one of the best defensive runners in the game.

And I would not be surprised if we are looking at him.
The major knock on Gaff is that he goes missing when the going gets tough. Doesn't do anywhere near as much grunt work as we need in our side.

Taking into account what he'll cost, I hope we don't even consider him. He doesn't address a need for us.

Heppell, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Begley, Mutch, Myers and Clarke.
Heppell: Hardly a big contested mid
Parish: not big
Langford: not contested yet unsure if he will be that type
Laverde: Unproven as a mid
Begley: Unproven as a mid
Mutch: Will play a mix of both
Myers: Old and will be a fringe player soon
Clarke: He fits the bill

So yeah at this stage as a big contested inside mid only Myers id play ahead and if we got Kennedy id prefer we play him ahead of Myers. Id like su to play Laverde as an inside mid but until I see it he is a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The major knock on Gaff is that he goes missing when the going gets tough. Doesn't do anywhere near as much grunt work as we need in our side.

Taking into account what he'll cost, I hope we don't even consider him. He doesn't address a need for us.
It's not unusual for outside players to go missing. If the inside players are getting beaten then outside players have little chance of getting their hands on the ball.

I wouldn't give up two first rounders. i'm not sure who's suggesting he's worth that but it's ridiculous.

So you don't think any of Begley, Langford, Laverde, Clarke or Mutch will make it?

Thing is, three of those five were recruited as forwards. While we all hope they can evolve into big-bodied mids (and Begley showed a few promising signs in the middle late this year) all would require an evolution to their game to do so.

Kennedy has always been, and has continued to develop as, a big bodied mid. If you'd want to be putting money on where our contested possessions and centre clearances are coming from in 3 years time, it'd be safer putting them on him rather than the more speculative development of a Langford or Laverde.

Heppell: Hardly a big contested mid
Parish: not big
Langford: not contested yet unsure if he will be that type
Laverde: Unproven as a mid
Begley: Unproven as a mid
Mutch: Will play a mix of both
Myers: Old and will be a fringe player soon
Clarke: He fits the bill

So yeah at this stage as a big contested inside mid only Myers id play ahead and if we got Kennedy id prefer we play him ahead of Myers. Id like su to play Laverde as an inside mid but until I see it he is a forward.
Why do they need to be big to be contested?

There are plenty of very good contested players that are small. And conversely there are plenty of bigger guys that aren't as contested.

People are just infatuated with size in here.

Thing is, three of those five were recruited as forwards. While we all hope they can evolve into big-bodied mids (and Begley showed a few promising signs in the middle late this year) all would require an evolution to their game to do so.

Kennedy has always been, and has continued to develop as, a big bodied mid. If you'd want to be putting money on where our contested possessions and centre clearances are coming from in 3 years time, it'd be safer putting them on him rather than the more speculative development of a Langford or Laverde.
Dodoro and Woosha both believe those guys are mids and were recruited as such.

Why recruit guys and then give up on them before they have even turned 21.

Heppell, Parish, Langford, Laverde, Begley, Mutch, Myers and Clarke.
Bolded in black not really big bodied mids.

Bolded in red haven't proven anything as a big inside mid at AFL level. Clarke is in his first year and Langford hasn't been tested out at AFL level. Still questions on his hardness and commitment at contests.
Bolded in blue haven't played as inside mids. We really don't know what we'll get from them or if they have the tank to play as an inside mid.

Underlined (Myers) isn't reliable.

That really leaves only Heppell, who isn't exactly imposing. We need a Jobe replacement.

I managed to get a transcript of the chat Dyson had with Jake yesty

View attachment 421573 hey knackerbags, how tricks?

View attachment 421574 not bad shagger, you?

View attachment 421573yeh not bad tiger. Wanna come over nek year for a kick?

View attachment 421574 yeh nah, how is it over there?

View attachment 421573 yeh its all good m8, woosh is a cruisey knacker - good bunch of lads, no beverage....

View attachment 421574 ay? no beers ?

View attachment 421573 nah knackers, no bevo - you know.. old mate

View attachment 421574 oh yeh, cool - count me in

View attachment 421573 no worries - catch ya then

View attachment 421574 no worries ,sweet.
Oh Howard! You funny man you.

Given that grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, how would guys like Mutch, Begley, Langford, Laverde and Begley compare to Kennedy in the midfield?

Should we be developing our own guys in the firsts and giving them the chance to stand up like we did with Raz and Walla up forward?

And go for big bodied rookies Sydney style to complement.

You don't sign Kennedy because he's going to be a top 20 player in the comp. He's a safe bet for an inside mid who has a good engine.

He's also probably got a full season in him next year unlike Mutch and Begley and we need it.

Fast forward to this time next year by which time we'll know how good the next generation of midfielders is and there would be no overwhelming urge to sign Kennedy.

Dodoro and Woosha both believe those guys are mids and were recruited as such.

Why recruit guys and then give up on them before they have even turned 21.

It's not a matter of giving up on them. I'd be stoked if they develop as hoped. But it'd make sense to have a plan b, and Kennedy is both available and probably at unders. He's had a few years of good development already put into him, knows how to get the pill, and provides as another building block to a midfield in need of repair.

If Langford and Laverde don't develop into inside players, they still might end up best 22 out on a wing or on a HFF - but that doesn't solve our most glaring problem, which is getting the pill out of the middle in the first place.

Bolded in black not really big bodied mids.

Bolded in red haven't proven anything as a big inside mid at AFL level. Clarke is in his first year and Langford hasn't been tested out at AFL level. Still questions on his hardness and commitment at contests.
Bolded in blue haven't played as inside mids. We really don't know what we'll get from them or if they have the tank to play as an inside mid.

Underlined (Myers) isn't reliable.

That really leaves only Heppell, who isn't exactly imposing. We need a Jobe replacement.
Kennedy

Bolded in red haven't proven themselves at AFL level. Am I doing it right?

It's not a matter of giving up on them. I'd be stoked if they develop as hoped. But it'd make sense to have a plan b, and Kennedy is both available and probably at unders. He's had a few years of good development already put into him, knows how to get the pill, and provides as another building block to a midfield in need of repair.

If Langford and Laverde don't develop into inside players, they still might end up best 22 out on a wing or on a HFF - but that doesn't solve our most glaring problem, which is getting the pill out of the middle in the first place.
When will people recognize that we have other issues as well?

Did it ever occur to you that the club just may not want that type of player or even rate Kennedy?

According to people like you we have a pressing need for it, currency to get the trade done and plenty of $$$ to lure him.

Yet, we aren't going after him!

Why do they need to be big to be contested?

There are plenty of very good contested players that are small. And conversely there are plenty of bigger guys that aren't as contested.

People are just infatuated with size in here.
Dangerfield: 189cm
Martin: 188cm

Fyfe: 190cm
Bontempelli: 193cm
Cripps: 195cm
J.Kennedy: 188cm
Ward: 187cm

Oliver: 187cm
Ross: 187cm
B.Crouch: 187cm
Wines: 190cm

Look at the top 8 teams (Bolded) this year and every team had atleast 1 big contested mid that's a star, Priddis has retired for Eagles but he was one. You need atleast 1 of these types to compete, I couldn't think of a single player on our list that could go toe to toe with someone like J.Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back