List Mgmt. Trade & F.A. 2017 (if a scenario sounds wrong - read on before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEN suggested lot of Don's contracts haven't included the 20% pay rise.
Makes sense most of them banned before those negotions progressed.
I doubt that.

Given that Melbourne are actively encouraging Watts to look elsewhere and he's still pining for them in the media indicates to me he doesn't have the fire in the belly to really grab an opportunity elsewhere and will never fulfill his talent.

Buyer beware.

Interesting take on it.

Hine did his best work when he was just focusing on identifying talent.
I'm glad we went back to the future (or is that forward to the past?).
At the beginning of the night I don't really see too much difference.

Steele is suppoesdely on unders. You don't trade him out to fit someone into the salary cap.

You do if it frees up $600k and he offers the best value of your mids. Unders or overs is irrelevant. For instance obviously clearing the decks of Mayne or Greenwood ticks one of the boxes, but not the second.

You do if it frees up $600k and he offers the best value of your mids. Unders or overs is irrelevant. For instance obviously clearing the decks of Mayne or Greenwood ticks one of the boxes, but not the second.
If you're looking at bringing in free agents on big dollars to propel you to the promised land, good players on unders - which is what Steele supposedly is, are vital to have the cap space and the quality within the team to make the strategy work. They're worth their weight in gold.

Certainly not.

well you should be because thats funny.

I don't think any player is worth 1.6 Mil per year

Maybe a forward who dominates in the mould of Carey. I don't think he's that dominant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salary cap space end of 2018:
Levi- $450k
Oxley-?
Goldsack -?
Mayne less
Wells less
Reid- ?
Fas ?
Varcoe ?
Sinclair?
Smith?

If you're looking at bringing in free agents on big dollars to propel you to the promised land, good players on unders - which is what Steele supposedly is, are vital to have the cap space and the quality within the team to make the strategy work. They're worth their weight in gold.

Have you actually thought this through?

Steele goes out, Sloane replaces him and we then invest the trade currency acquired from trading Steele in the draft to improve the overall quality. It's a surprisingly simple concept.

I can't believe I've been drawn into this. I'm not even interested in Sloane...

Steele goes out, Sloane replaces him and we then invest the trade currency acquired from trading Steele in the draft to improve the overall quality. It's a surprisingly simple concept.

Good theory ill never agree just because I rate steele so much.

Not so worried about keys for the moment for a couple of reasons, according to those in the know there isn't anything special in this draft and the keys available for trade are too costly even if we had the money and by all accounts we don't. Hopefully we can trade for what we need later when we have a bit more money and success, the two things you need to be a destination club. Lynch obviously the hope but there will be others available. In the meantime we have to get creative and put everything else in place and that means going to the draft and getting some speed and class so here is my favoured scenario.

National draft Pick 6 Coffield
Fasolo WC pick 30 Richards
Reid Syd pick 31 Ling
National draft Pick 36 Petrucelle
National draft Pick 54 Butts
National draft Pick 59 T Brown
National draft Pick 78 Crameri

Crameri I see as cheap Lynden Dunn type pick up for the forwardline to assist Moore until Lynch (hopefully) gets there. The rest have been picked for class and speed, except for Butts, but given the Pies history with names like that he's almost a certainty to come to us.

I don't think you've fully thought it through. We'd only bring Sloane in for immediate improvement. The draftee that we brought in for Steele's trade would be unlikely to offer anything immediately. If Steele is on unders, we'll also have to ship out another decent senior player on good money. Does Sloane actually offer more than Steele + 1 other decent senior player? Maybe he does, but I'd suggest that we'd be way better off sending off someone else who isn't getting unders. If you're looking to create salary cap space, you don't look at trading out guys on unders. You'd only look at trading out Steele if it's for a trade or draft chip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back