Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of courtesy goes a long way...answer my questions before you qualify for a response from me - you are way way out of your depth tbh and I'm starting to wonder if you don't delight in muck racking and stirring the pie with innuendo at every opportunity - stick to vague statements about trades and drafts thats your forte.

Enough of your weazle words and obfuscations - they aren't masking your negative agenda.

Not an agenda but a fact.

This board has a rogue President that puts offers in front of others without his board knowing and ultimately costing us a huge payout
This board has a President that seems to make a mess of every situation including the Malthouse exit, which again cost us a lot of money
This board has a President that flat out lies to all of us, including you, so cut your "look at me" talk and face the facts, you hero.

Why are you in love with all of this. Do you see a bit of yourself in MLG? Maybe you're out of sync with the way a football board should be run.

Not that unusual. My brother was the CEO of a company whose Australian Head Office was based in Sydney & he did the commute from Melbourne-Sydney.

The company I worked for until recently (large international company with offices in more than 30 countries) made a senior management appointment for a Melbourne based position & chose a candidate from Adelaide who has chosen to continue to reside in Adelaide due to having a young family.
Difference is Carlton don't have an interstate office or operate nationally. Our business is solely based in Melbourne and our customers and stakeholders are all based in Melbourne. He needs to be based in Melbourne, not rolling in at 9.30 on a Monday due to flights being delayed and leaving early to catch a flight home. The job also involves being at work in Melbourne most Saturdays or Sundays. It is not a job that can be done remotely.

He might complain about lack of transparency in this but he mislead the Board on his intentions to relocate his family (presumably unlike the examples you have given). Ultimately some of his commercial KPI's haven't been met and the Board was no longer prepared to accept an absent CEO.

This board has a rogue President that puts offers in front of others without his board knowing and ultimately costing us a huge payout
This board has a President that seems to make a mess of every situation including the Malthouse exit, which again cost us a lot of money
This board has a President that flat out lies to all of us, including you, so cut your "look at me" talk and face the facts, you hero.

Why are you in love with all of this. Do you see a bit of yourself in MLG? Maybe you're out of sync with the way a football board should be run.

I'd have to agree with Harks here.

MLG looks to be a pretty s**t operator, basically invisible and not the person who should be in charge.

Like or not Presidents are leaders and how they speak and appear to the membership is a large part of the job.

He's a miserable failure.

I'd have to agree with Harks here.

MLG looks to be a pretty s**t operator, basically invisible and not the person who should be in charge.

Like or not Presidents are leaders and how they speak and appear to the membership is a large part of the job.

He's a miserable failure.

We have 'in-my-depth' JAB that will teach us all about being on a board.
It's funny how single-minded, clouded and subjective people can be because of 'their' experience.

He has no idea how 'involved' and intrusive board members of a football club can be and rarely for the betterment of the club.
Wanting to have a say in trades, in drafts, in selection etc.

We've suffered for long enough for these reasons and credit to MLG for listening to Trigg and exercised a proper process for coach appointment, but now we have him lying about not having approached Lethlean and telling us we're going through another process, although that doesn't seem to be the case.
Maybe it is the case, but...come on...we know.

Anyone care to have a stab as to how this will play out.
Someone gave me their opinion weeks ago and I reckon they'll be bang on the money. We'll see.

I'm sorry but given that Barass, people involved at other clubs and in the media knew this was coming for weeks indicates that this wasn't done professionally.

The dudes hanging around until the replacement is found, took Hawthorn six months to find someone and then fired her 5 months later.

Trigg said it’s been ongoing discussions for sometime.

If it was that unprofessional he would have walked and talked yesterday.

Just another chicken little!!

I really think there is a lot of over reaction here, I'm inclined to think like others here that all the Caro article had done was bring out to public and force our hands to bring it forward and make a statement about it.

If Trigg himself has come out and said “We’ve been talking for a while regarding tenure, family and so on and while this is an earlier than ideal decision by the board to make a move, it’s understood.” then who gives a **** what Caro or anyone else thinks!!

I also really do believe that as long as C Judd is on the board and ok with these kind of decisions being made then I am ok with it too.

If he leaves due to mis management or anything like that, then **** me we're screwed...

I think Lo Giudice is doing a good job. Acts when something is wrong and has got it right each time. Not perfect in some of the methodology but as long as the decision is correct I'm not too fussed.

Could improve his delivery but I like that he is not a loud mouth media ****.

Haha....the ultimate string puller...but he’s the people’s champion. **** me
Yeah but being a champion of the people means you can get people to believe
That's part of it
We haven't had anybody that can rally everybody together including media, corporates, supporters etc since
That's a big part of what you're looking for

A bit of courtesy goes a long way...answer my questions before you qualify for a response from me - you are way way out of your depth tbh and I'm starting to wonder if you don't delight in muck racking and stirring the pie with innuendo at every opportunity - stick to vague statements about trades and drafts thats your forte.

Enough of your weazle words and obfuscations - they aren't masking your negative agenda.
How do you mud rake raked mud?
You're making it sound like everything is great and Harker is just making trouble lol
Look everybody should have questions about this footy club.
Period!

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting JustaBattler, great posts. :thumbsu:

So you think she was brought onto the board for this kind of discussion?
The political correct and no discrimination kind of discussion in competitive sport?
Sorry mate!
The two are water and oil!
That's my opinion and if she's used as some kind of touchstone you'll see the results really fall off the cliff
Sports is not about any of that kind of stuff
Joyce brown would understand sports and competition and whats needed a zillion times better and she's been retired for bang on two decades
upload_2017-10-6_10-37-3.png

Barass, this statement has kept me up all night as I read it on here yesterday but couldn't remember who stated it.

Robbo said this exact same thing on SEN last night on my drive home, so either he reads BF and follows you or you are....Mark Robinson???
Robbo said exactly the opposite:

So your one real claim to fame here is that he sounded out Wright, apparently inappropriately, and alerted the shithouse recruitment team that he had a plan to restructure their departments? Given what's going down at Adelaide at the moment, do you think people in this industry are mature about such approaches, no matter the means?

Given he went and got SOS 18 months later, perhaps the whole thing was an independent test of the waters to see what the market is actually like. Even if not, it's a really stupid thing to hang your hat on.

As for Malthouse, can you recall a time when an obvious dead duck coach situation wasn't under such intense media scrutiny (if not interstate, then certainly in Victoria)?

What part of Wilson's article did you not understand? Was it this bit:
Fairfax Media understands not all the Blues directors want Lethlean and certainly not without an executive search.
So he consulted the board with this proposal, and dodged public comments before speaking with Trigg. What's the issue here, that he took his time and thought about his options?

You want a media performer first, in a role that doesn't seem to have many media performers these days. Go take a look; compile a list. I'm interested to see who your idea of a good president is given how opinionated you are on the matter. Cast your net far and wide, take a look at world sport. Find the individual.

In the mean time, critique MLG on the things that matter, like our toe-in-the-water cultural shift that resulted in the SSM statement we got. Drill down on the exact nature of the divisiveness at board level, instead of assuming split votes and passionate discussions means that things are poor.

I really do think your comments on the matter are incredibly dated, and resultantly ignorant, and it's not the first time in recent memory you've come across this way.

We have 'in-my-depth' JAB that will teach us all about being on a board.
It's funny how single-minded, clouded and subjective people can be because of 'their' experience.

He has no idea how 'involved' and intrusive board members of a football club can be and rarely for the betterment of the club.
Wanting to have a say in trades, in drafts, in selection etc.

We've suffered for long enough for these reasons and credit to MLG for listening to Trigg and exercised a proper process for coach appointment, but now we have him lying about not having approached Lethlean and telling us we're going through another process, although that doesn't seem to be the case.
Maybe it is the case, but...come on...we know.

Anyone care to have a stab as to how this will play out.
Someone gave me their opinion weeks ago and I reckon they'll be bang on the money. We'll see.

It all keeps coming back to Rogers when these topics come up. Intrusion into drafts and trades etc. The guy was really poor at his job and needed to be moved on- his 'resignation' whether encouraged or not had to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse my ignorance here but I thought Trigg was "on staff" the same as he placed Bolton and other appointments since he arrived?
don't get me wrong the back room dealings here are poor management practice but just wondering on the Trigg contract situation and the clubs liability in a pay out?

Wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't shot in the face by the time this is done
The equal opportunity board member with Chris Judd vice prez to smooth things over is my guess!
With an AFL insider as CEO
Sounds about right to me reading the tea leaves
And if it doesn't happen will you admit the last 20 posts were absolute rubbish!!

Sounds like he is sitting on the Shitter
He's obviously on speaker...

That may be the case but instead of setting out telling me what I don't know, tell us what you do.
What do you see coming up in the next few months? Share with us your observations and insights. Can you do that?
In terms of the executive search?

They'll run applicants through the basic background checks and experience checks, and compile a short list in communication with the board, probably through a sub-committee.

Once the short list is established, they'll take initial interviews and assessments, some of which may be done remotely (online/phone).

Once that is complete, the shortlist will be given the once over and further refined, and there may be a second stage process of a formal interview with the recruiter, or otherwise a formal interview with the board (and possibly the recruiter in attendance). The expectation is that they will pitch the basis of a business plan, reaching into their wealth of experience and knowledge to highlight the broad strokes on how this is possible, selling specifics where it benefits them (i.e. I have contacts here, there, etc).

As for possible candidates? I'm not too familiar, but I imagine that Lethlean will look solid for a variety of reasons, but the question of his ethical conduct should be put to him, followed by how he plans to counteract the inevitable public scrutiny upon resuming the role, as well as how he has develop personally and professionally through in the last 6 months.

One thing I've said in the past is that our board seems bereft of people in-touch with entertainment experience and commercial backgrounds that clearly relate back to sport. A Lethlean-type would suit.

Nothing to do with Rogers.
You just mentioned him before, albeit not by name...

Do you not realise that maybe it was being done professionally until Caro wrote the article?

All she’s done is brought it forward and out in the open.

Chicken Little’s in here are frightening....

Exactly. Once she got wind of it and put it in the public domain we could no longer keep it behind closed doors. Couldn't deny it, couldn't say nothing, so learned from lessons of the past and got on the front foot.

Those who like to be critical would have said the club were wrong whichever way we did it. We got smart and pulled the bandaid off quickly.

Some want to say that we appointed him so have to take the blame. Thing is it was a good appointment. It helped us in many ways. Some things could be done better but Trigg hadn't committed to much longer and discussions were held accordingly.

Trigg hasn't potted the club. There has been no nastiness. Nobody failed in appointing him and nobody failed in opting to replace him.

People want to see conspiracies I guess.

Mate, I don't know.

I'm just keen to get Lethlean on board and to see what collateral damage comes along with that.
The less the better of course, but if we are looking at changing things for the better, others may have to go along with Trigg.
As I said; I feel there will be plenty to play out.

EDIT: So no-one other than one individual care to put down their vision for the future.
Will it simply be one in and one out and business as usual?
I'd share, but I won't for the same reason I don't say anything about draft prospects - I know what I know, and I know what I don't know. In this case, I don't know s**t about boards and management. How many here would be suitably qualified to offer anything more than an uninformed (if good intentioned) opinion?

Exactly. Once she got wind of it and put it in the public domain we could no longer keep it behind closed doors. Couldn't deny it, couldn't say nothing, so learned from lessons of the past and got on the front foot.

Those who like to be critical would have said the club were wrong whichever way we did it. We got smart and pulled the bandaid off quickly.

Some want to say that we appointed him so have to take the blame. Thing is it was a good appointment. It helped us in many ways. Some things could be done better but Trigg hadn't committed to much longer and discussions were held accordingly.

Trigg hasn't potted the club. There has been no nastiness. Nobody failed in appointing him and nobody failed in opting to replace him.

People want to see conspiracies I guess.
He's not going to pot the club it's not how it works in the professional field when you're looking for employment

Trigg seems to be handling this very professionally and the fact the board want him to stick around and not walked out the door says a lot about both Trigg and the MLog. Trigg was clearly brought in to get our football department in order, the job seems to have been achieved so well done Steven but the board obviously feel that we now need someone who can get the club performing financially, and if Lethlean is the man and he is available then the club has done the right thing by moving swiftly.

Trigg seems to be handling this very professionally and the fact the board want him to stick around and not walked out the door says a lot about both Trigg and the MLog. Trigg was clearly brought in to get our football department in order, the job seems to have been achieved so well done Steven but the board obviously feel that we now need someone who can get the club performing financially, and if Lethlean is the man and he is available then the club has done the right thing by moving swiftly.

Yeah yeah yeah.....but come on IAAM, where's you're umpteenth airing of age old agenda's . Cmon man.

2-3 years back we made a meal of things and since then, whilst not perfect, we have done an awful lot right....I am talking a coach selection process that gave us Bolton, and a list manager who has pulled a phoenix out of the ashes. We don't really know what went on behind the scenes re Trigg and may never know. I respect Caroline Wilson but she is not all-knowing. For now, given the credits the board has built up the last 2 years, I am willing to give the President and the Board the benefit of the doubt.

No doubt the 20 years prior we have been putrid off field which inevitably resulted in our on-field predicament.

Does that really matter? Should we just sit back in awe when Jab tells us that he's sat on boards and that we have no clue? :)

This isn't a matter of some corporate protocol. It's simply a matter for observation and opinion. I want to hear what you think. Don't let anyone stop you.
When uninformed opinions lead to a shitfight, I don't see the point. It's a bit different to talking about trades and players. The hyperbole and outright aggressive posting these topics bring up is just unnecessary.

Shakespeare knew what was up:
"Posting about the board is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back