Review Which spud did you think was going to be a star?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a huge fan of these threads because they're built upon a negative premise, but since this one is about a crers player...

When Troy Menzel got traded to Adelaide, I actually thought that was a steal and that he'd set the world alight with them. Thank **** the very opposite happened! Not my finest prediction :drunk::drunk:

He did look the goods at Carlton. No idea what happened but he was worse than any of our abundance of small forwards after the move.

Sent from mTalk

The 2006 AFL draft thread makes quite an embarrassing reading for me. Upset that we didn't pick Mitch Thorpe and wondering why we took an unknown quantity in Robbie Gray.:$

I know the feeling. Back in 2006 I was pushing for us to recruit James Sellar and I was really pissed off when the Crows picked him up with pick #14. :$
We took Travis Boak instead. Travis wasn't one of the red hot fancies linked to us in the phantom drafts and I remember thinking who is this guy?

If 2004 was our spud draft 2006 turned out to be one of our better ones. We took Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Paul Stewart, Krakouer and snared David Rodan with a late pick.

Last edited:
I thought that Aaron Fiora was going to be a world beater. Anyone who saw his first senior game at Alberton will understand.
I would love to know what went wrong.

Was it Fiora who got dropped for the 1998 SANFL Grand Final after playing for most of the year? It was either him or Didak the following year.

Fiora finished up playing 140 AFL games for St Kilda and Richmond so he had a reasonable career. You are right though he never quite reached the heights we though he might.

Was it Fiora who got dropped for the 1998 SANFL Grand Final after playing for most of the year? It was either him or Didak the following year.

Fiora finished up playing 140 AFL games for St Kilda and Richmond so he had a reasonable career. You are right though he never quite reached the heights we though he might.
I think that he made his senior debut in 1999 and was drafted in the same season.
He is unfortunately usually mentioned in connection with Richmond passing over Pavlich to draft Fiora. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but early on he looked like a once in a generation gun player.

I think that he made his senior debut in 1999 and was drafted in the same season.
He is unfortunately usually mentioned in connection with Richmond passing over Pavlich to draft Fiora. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but early on he looked like a once in a generation gun player.

Oooooh that 1999 draft, we took Paul Koulouriotis at #12 and Geelong took Corey Enright at #47. That hurts.

The 2006 AFL draft thread makes quite an embarrassing reading for me. Upset that we didn't pick Mitch Thorpe and wondering why we took an unknown quantity in Robbie Gray.:$

Everyone thought Essendon smashed that draft from top to bottom.

Houli almost - and probably should have - winning a Norm Smith for Richmond is the bizarrest of post-scripts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pfeiffer, Colquhoun and Jacobs could've been very good players
Bold claim on Pfieffer IMO but am happy to hear the rationale of why/when anyone thought he was going to be a star.
Colquhoun would normally be a good pick for this thread as he seemed to have reached a ceiling with us. But I reckon his time with Sturt has seen him lift and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get re-drafted by somebody.
Jacobs yes. A classic example of why a proven player trade in for a 1st round draft pick is no reason for us to slit our wrists. His recent story I don't really get. Norf talked him up big as an effective 90s style tagger. Then some injury and he's uncontracted with his career hanging on the edge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back