Opinion Best PAFC goal ever

Remove this Banner Ad

One that probably won't get mentioned, Dave Granger v Glenelg at Glenelg round 11, 1981.

Bays were unbeaten to that point of the season and lead by 29 points at quarter time, 4.6 to 0.1. Dave kicked a torp with a heavy ball from the wing straight through the middle for our first goal early in the second quarter. Port kicked another 5 for the quarter and went onto win by 21 points.

Might not be the greatest goal ever but it will never be forgotten. it broke the Bays that year.

Dave had also been reported by 3 umpires the week before and was cleared in a long tribunal hearing during the week.

That was also the game with the famous picture of Dave pointing and laughing at Peter Carey.

iu
Remember that game like yesterday, if we lost we were almost done for the year Glenelg were top and we were big underdogs (pretty sure we lost Greg Phillips for the first half of that year)
My favourite goal of all time was in the 81 GF, the David Granger 30 metre left handed handball to Russell on the run 2 bounces and straight through the middle! Game over before half time.

Roman Smith kicked 2 amazing goals within a short period v Wesr Torrens, circa 1989.

On of the "luckiest" - apart from Monfries' - was David Brown, first goal for the team 8n 1988 Grand Final, after Glenelg had the early momentum.

I seem to remember one of Hodges' goals in 1990 - I think against West at Alberton - where he seemed to snap it over his shoulder from about 40m out.

All great goals and memories. I like when Stephen Motlop dodged 6 crows and kicked the goal to put us back in front with a minute to go

Roman Smith kicked 2 amazing goals within a short period v Wesr Torrens, circa 1989.

On of the "luckiest" - apart from Monfries' - was David Brown, first goal for the team 8n 1988 Grand Final, after Glenelg had the early momentum.

I seem to remember one of Hodges' goals in 1990 - I think against West at Alberton - where he seemed to snap it over his shoulder from about 40m out.
Scott Hodges kicked 14 that day, including 8 in the third quarter, I think he was more than 50 out with some of those snaps. Absolute freak of a player.

The marks thread has been so enjoyable, especially the inputs from those with much longer memories than mine.

So I thought this next trip down memory lane would be worthwhile.

For me it's an easy choice as my hero sealed a massive game against the old enemy.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh yes, remember this day well. :)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remember that game like yesterday, if we lost we were almost done for the year Glenelg were top and we were big underdogs (pretty sure we lost Greg Phillips for the first half of that year)
My favourite goal of all time was in the 81 GF, the David Granger 30 metre left handed handball to Russell on the run 2 bounces and straight through the middle! Game over before half time.

Bomber's torp from inside the centre square in the first quarter of the 81 GF that split the middle was special too. That went around 70m.

Every single goal mentioned in this thread to date brings back magnificent memories.

Plus, Hodges and Rohan Smith both kicked several freakish snapped goals from boundary line, over the shoulder, hemmed in positions. All memorable.

Chalmers long bomb in the '92 GF.

Ebert a thumping drop kick goal from just foward of centre one day at Elizabeth Oval.

Trevor Sorrell marking the ball OOB at half forward versus West Torrens, the umps not picking it, and Sorrell playing on and goaling, in a tight game.

Matty White's running bounce sprint and goal.

A couple of Choppy's running bounces and goals from outside 50m.

Che Cockatoo-Collins versus Richmond at Footy Park soccering the ball several times from half back to the goal square, and then converting. The ground was covered in water - like a bloody lake!

Marty Frederick at Alberton, gets the ball at half back, a runing bounce, a give and get, rinse and repeat, then a 40m snap from a tight angle in front of the Scott HQ building.

Rusty Boyd, GF versus North, running with the flight of the ball, eyes never left the agate, North defender running full tilt at Boyd could have cleaned him up, but chickened out when he saw Boyd wasn't going to deviate, puts in a couple of short steps and veers off the line of the ball, Russel keeps on running at maximum speed, takes ball and runs in for a goal. Inspirational! We smashed them that day.

Anyone remember Craig Bradley 1983 at Prospect Oval we were 43 points down in the third quarter he kicks a 50 metre torpedo from the boundary line to put us in front late in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone remember Craig Bradley 1983 at Prospect Oval we were 43 points down in the third quarter he kicks a 50 metre torpedo from the boundary line to put us in front late in the last quarter.

The Hodges one wasn't just a set shot. It was into a tricky breeze. Basically the worst spot to kick from, no one had kicked it from that spot all day, and Scotty's kicking himself had been a little hit or miss on the day. To nail it like he did under that pressure was epic.

Many of the others I can think of have already been captured. Monfries, Westhoff.

Hard to remember heaps from the SANFL games but there was a game in 1987/1988 we beat South about 200+ to 70/80ish, at Alberton and Bruce Abernathy let loose will a barrel from the centre circle that bounced through, I remember that one.

The Matt White one has to be given some credit that was epic. Also could call out the Neade one from that 2014 EF. Motlop, Gray x2 match winners.

Not the best goal but strangest/funniest one I've seen was at AO in late 90s or early 00s Maggie's v North. The ball was kicked high to the goal square, Fabian Francis wrestling with an opponent for position and falls to the ground, ball lands on his ankle and bounces through.

Bomber's torp from inside the centre square in the first quarter of the 81 GF that split the middle was special too. That went around 70m.
Reckon ya mean 1979 GF against souths , I was there and it pissed down, we blew game away in first qtr with the aid of a strong wind, kicking 5 goals to nothing.

about 1.12 in.

The Hodges one wasn't just a set shot. It was into a tricky breeze. Basically the worst spot to kick from, no one had kicked it from that spot all day, and Scotty's kicking himself had been a little hit or miss on the day. To nail it like he did under that pressure was epic.

Many of the others I can think of have already been captured. Monfries, Westhoff.

Hard to remember heaps from the SANFL games but there was a game in 1987/1988 we beat South about 200+ to 70/80ish, at Alberton and Bruce Abernathy let loose will a barrel from the centre circle that bounced through, I remember that one.

The Matt White one has to be given some credit that was epic. Also could call out the Neade one from that 2014 EF. Motlop, Gray x2 match winners.
99% of footballers would not have kicked that Hodges goal, the power (and accuracy) in his leg was unbelievable .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back