Toast WELCOME to UNIONPAY - New PAFC Partner

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to a club event not that long ago and the club virtually ruled out further games in China unless the State/Federal government really stepped up. Otherwise it consumes too many internal resources
How many $m have we had from sponsorship as a result? Surely the return is multiples on the investment.

How many $m have we had from sponsorship as a result? Surely the return is multiples on the investment.

And good sponsors who have stuck around for the long haul, as Lockhart Road intimated Chinese companies are likely to do if you look after them.

How many resources are we saving on not having to do what used to be yearly pursuits of new sponsors?

As relations between Australia and China appear to thaw, there would be major companies with serious cash behind them who would be happy to help fund a game in China again, turn it into a trade expo over a week.

The question is did the return have anything to do with the game or was it the other ground work that was done that made the difference.

I am sure it was a bit of both but feel like having done it if we play our cards right we can continue to reap the benefits even if the games don't return.

I guess it depends if the sponsors / Chinese government see the game as ab important part of it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The question is did the return have anything to do with the game or was it the other ground work that was done that made the difference.

I am sure it was a bit of both but feel like having done it if we play our cards right we can continue to reap the benefits even if the games don't return.

I guess it depends if the sponsors / Chinese government see the game as ab important part of it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
True in one sense, but having the whole club move there for the week, holding meetings with Chinese polies and businessmen, supporters flooding in, with our Chinese backer opening doors for us ... All only made possible by actually playing games there.

It was a massive endeavor, which stretched our resources, but was well worth it ... It will be interesting to see if we can ever play there again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When COVID hit and Australia was all “let’s not trust the Chinese version of events”, the rhetoric from China wasn’t good. I made the following statement: "The best we can hope for is that the CCP kicks Xi to the curb for his incompetence and starts to open up capital markets like they promised they would. That’s when we need boots on the ground - hopefully the club is still maintaining the Shanghai office for that reason."

Well it turns out that Xi wasn't kicked to the curb for his incompetence (because he’s built a cult of personality and is infallible), but the next best thing happened - every advisor who suggested that stupid 'wolf warrior' diplomacy rubbish that alienated most of the world against China was. Now we are getting reports of deflation being a real possibility over there, which is exactly what Japan went through in the late 90s/early 00s.

"In a sharp contrast to Australian and other economies grappling with soaring prices, China has the opposite problem because of weak domestic demand. While Beijing wants a revival of consumer spending to drive an economic recovery, there are now signs the opposite will happen if households and businesses refrain from spending and investment because they believe prices will continue to fall."

This push by UnionPay into Australia and other markets like the UK, New Zealand and South Africa seems to be a desire by the PBOC (and by extension, the CCP) to facilitate a larger range of transactions in currencies that are easily converted into USD from markets outside of China’s domestic market which is currently stagnant.

In short, Xi has basically said “Wolf warrior diplomacy was a ******* stupid move. Let’s go back to our soft power play book. That was working well.”

We know who planted this seed. Take a bow Lockhart Road

Onya mate
Yep despite his feelings for how the club is being administered LR deserves our collective respect for his vision and endeavour

Thanks for that. Nice sentiments. Much appreciated.

Xin Hua, China’s traditional news agency, published the following (edited) five weeks ago (linked in Grave Danger post on previous page):

SHANGHAI, Nov. 9 --

In the bustling exhibition hall of the Sixth China International Import Expo (CIIE) …

According to the Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade), this year a record number of nearly 250 Australian exhibitors are attending the CIIE.

In a video posted on the official WeChat account of Austrade, Don Farrell, Australian minister for trade and tourism, called this expo "an opportunity to showcase the best Australia has to offer."

Earlier this year, mining giant Rio Tinto signed a long-term collaboration memorandum to be an exhibitor in the CIIE from 2024 to 2028. It is the first Fortune Global 500 company to sign up for the CIIE for the next five years.

"Rio Tinto has been an old friend of the CIIE, and we have been actively participating in the expo since six years ago," said its Chief Executive Jakob Stausholm in an interview with Xinhua.

… several foreign leaders, including Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, have addressed the expo. For Albanese, it was his seventh visit to China and the first since assuming office, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the first China visit by an Australian prime minister, Gough Whitlam.

"This is the first participation at the CIIE from an Australian Trade Minister since 2018 and the first ever for an Australian Prime Minister," said Andrea Myles, senior trade and investment commissioner of Austrade.

"We're excited to meet Chinese importers and buyers and for all CIIE attendees to see the premium products we have on offer," she told Xinhua. "'Team Australia' really came together for the roaring return of CIIE this year."

Port Adelaide Football Club has already signed a contract with UnionPay International and Intella Payments at the CIIE. The club has attended this expo three times, and its general manager for commercial and partnerships Brett Mathers considers this particular one to be the most important. This year's CIIE is especially notable as it is the first one since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, he noted.

"This one is significant for us given that we've signed a long-term partnership with UnionPay International and Intella Payments under support from Sequoia Financial which will see some new and innovative payment methods coming back to Australia, and Port Adelaide Football Club will be able to help promote this to our members and fans and a broader Australian community. We are really excited about that," Mathers said.

Brett Mathers has been with PAFC‘s commercial operation for a while. Ditto applies to Promise Xu who was with Brett in Shanghai.

Feels like we are taking initial steps to retrace what got started via Hong Kong ten years ago … using MG as a template.

I read somewhere that UnionPay is working on breaking into and spreading its brand in Oz as a new frontier, just as MG did in 2019. UnionPay has already signed a deal with Badminton Oz, a very Chinese route to take.

My guess is that Brett and Promise are now identifying other China brands for diverse sections of the Oz market to make a pitch at.

If this takes root … again … my ‘feelings for how the club is being administered’ may go into a positive rewind.

Last edited:
My guess is that Brett and Promise are now identifying other China brands for diverse sections of the Oz market to make a pitch at.

If this takes root … again … my ‘feelings for how the club is being administered’ may go into a positive rewind.

We could build our own stadium (100,000 capacity) at Port Adelaide in 10 years time with Chinese money?

Something like what the Las Vegas Raiders built 🏟️

one could only dream...

eaczcec54i8omayc71b7

Surprised no one has commented on this yet. Big organization, based out of ..............

SHANGHAI ... mmmh? The gift that keeps giving?

Unionpay was established in China in 2002 and have been in Australia for over a decade but I cannot say I have ever noticed them.

Unionpay card is accepted in Russia as the organisation is owned by The Bank of China. The big advantage is that it is widely used by Chinese nationals traveling abroad.

Good to have them on board but I do not think I will be ditching my Visa card.

Saw the thread title and immediately started singing Solidarity Forever. Thought maybe its a union thing. I have noticed their logo a few times around the place over the years but that's all. Knew nothing really about them before I read this thread. From Port's website article;

Through the partnership, Port Adelaide will support the launch of the product into the Australian market through promotion and education of new and improved payment options via the club’s extensive dynamic and engaging assets, including multi-platform digital content and game day.

I remember in the early phase of our China strategy in 2014 and 2015 talking to KT and Richo and using the phrase - The Marketing Horsepower of the AFL and its clubs - when talking to them about China and trying to attract Chinese businesses and wealthy individuals who wanted to enter the Oz market and linking up with Port, so that they could tap into this marketing horsepower.

Mr Gui saw it clearly, very early into watching his first game of AFL. So has UnionPay and Intella Payments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back