Opinion Best PAFC goal ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Scotty Hodges was my first favourite port player..

Crows screwed him in my opinion.

I believe if he went to a different club he could of been a great forward.

If only the crows didn't get our AFL licence.

Daniel Motlop had his chance to win the game after taking a superb late mark against St Kilda in Tasmania — the final siren went as he was lining up, and he visibly winced.
Alipate Carlile made fun of Motlop on The Pears podcast for messing that kick up.

For emphasis,

Almost 10 years after Hodges’ strike, Daniel Motlop had his chance to win the game after taking a superb late mark against St Kilda in Tasmania — the final siren went as he was lining up, and he visibly winced.

Daniel Motlop.

The most technically-gifted player I’ve ever seen, who could make a ball dance from all angles, reduced to a suburban plodder incapable of a 40m set shot because the spotlight was suddenly too bright.
There was a video put up some time ago of Daniel Motlop kicking goal after goal from outside the pickets at Alberton from half way up the mound and at ridiculously tight angles.
The way he could bend the footy around corners at will showed how supremely skilled he was.

As you suggest though, a bog standard 40 metre set shot to win the game that a player of his skill should slot 19 times out of 20 and he went to water under the perceived pressure.

The monfries goal against us in showdown.

Hodges ridiculous goal against us in in 1996.
Re the Hodges goal, I can still see that young Norwood bloke on the bench with his head in his hands when the free was awarded, and then 30 seconds or so later when he leapt off it in absolute anguish after the goal was scored.

He wasn't an interchange player for that particular game and was wearing a zip up club jacket and long pants, so I'm assuming he was probably a reserve's player who had made his way down to the bench.

That sort of passion for his club had to be born in the bloke, it can't be manufactured, so I'm interested to know if he made the grade as a player.

Re the Hodges goal, I can still see that young Norwood bloke on the bench with his head in his hands when the free was awarded, and then 30 seconds or so later when he leapt off it in absolute anguish after the goal was scored.

He wasn't an interchange player for that particular game and was wearing a zip up club jacket and long pants, so I'm assuming he was probably a reserve's player who had made his way down to the bench.

That sort of passion for his club had to be born in the bloke, it can't be manufactured, so I'm interested to know if he made the grade as a player.
The kid had a permanent limp. I think he was suppprt staff from memory.

I wondered who the distinguished looking old bloke was that jumped up ftom the bench, who I expected said Oh bother, then Chewy on your boot when Scott was kicking. Team doctor, privileged St Peter's old scholar granted a bench place?

The kid had a permanent limp. I think he was suppprt staff from memory.

I recall him as a regular fixture on the Norwood bench.

The chap to whom ‘right in front of me!’-guy should pay royalties.

A free kick in any era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's between Hodges in '96 prelim and Gav in '04.

Lucky enough to be there live for both, but I choose the latter for the fact it was on the national stage after years of choking and it just felt ... like the most important goal in living memory somehow. I remember it so vividly I could describe every split second in intimate detail nearly two decades later...

It felt to me like it sort of defied physics. The ball went the wrong way somehow and when you look at the angle vs the shape of the kick, it ended up being the only way possible that it would go through.

I recall at the time the crowd was loud and cheering but didn't rise like a shot on goal was actually happening as Gav got onto the loose ball so unbelievably fast, then everyone fell slightly quiet for a split second as the ball soared, then...still the loudest roar I've ever heard at any sporting event ever when it threaded its way through.

Its a miraculous moment.

Another memorable goal for me was one of Gav's in the third quarter in the 2004 grand final. I was behind the goals at that end and a long kick came to the pack. I could see the ball would clear the players and Gav was already ducking out the back. It was beautifully read and I knew he had the Scotts covered for pace. Then it was just a matter of watching it play out as expected. :hearteyes:

Another memorable goal for me was one of Gav's in the third quarter in the 2004 grand final. I was behind the goals at that end and a long kick came to the pack. I could see the ball would clear the players and Gav was already ducking out the back. It was beautifully read and I knew he had the Scotts covered for pace. Then it was just a matter of watching it play out as expected. :hearteyes:
The post high snap off 2 steps from 45 metres in the last quarter wasn't bad either.

There are a lot, and I mean a lot to choose from..

Hodges Preliminary Final 1996
Bradley v North Prospect 1983
Rohan Smith v North Adelaide 1989 Second Semi Final
Wanganeen Preliminary Final 2004
Hodges v West Adelaide 1990

Oh, this guy? :p

39309-6a7d889b40f97dfda11733e9e31c668a.jpg

We bumped into him many years later and gave him some stick, he was very good about it all.

There is a third James brother, Paul, but that aint him.

Russell Eberts goal in the first quarter of the 1980 gf. Greg Phillips received a handball from Kym Kinnear on the eastern wing had a couple of bounces, drew a Norwood player and handballed to Russell who took two bounces and kicked it from deep in the north-east pocket against a very strong breeze.

Peter Mead's after the siren match winning goal in the 1965 second semi final against South Adelaide. South had beaten us in the 1964 Grand Final so to steal this game was a great feeling. There was nothing spectacular about the kick it was simply a mongrel punt kick that only just made the distance thanks to Steve Traynor holding off the South defenders camped on the goal line. As posted in another thread we went on to win the 1965 flag.

Those were the days when we actually won most of the close ones. Every time I look back at the old days I am reminded what a bunch of imposters we have running the Club these days. I put this link up in another thread but in case you missed it, here it is again. Absolutely brilliant read and listen.

It wasnt his best ever goal, but I remember Ginever kicking a goal against West where he barely made the distance from 45m out, and there was controversy on whether it was touched. I can't remember if it was after the final siren, but I seem to remember it was a very significant factor in Port winning the game.

Was around "87 at a guess.
That may have been Timmy G's first goal in league footy, and it was against westies at footy park in the latish 1980's.
Ginever went back further than Michael Holding's run up to try and gain a bit of distance, but as you say the ball barely made it anyway.

My other memory of that game was how enamoured the American basketballer I took to his first Aussie rules game was with how Phil Harrison could run and bounce an oval ball after Phil did a couple of 3 or 4 bounce runs along the grandstand wing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back