List Mgmt. 2017 Free Agency & Trading - Part 2 (Take Gibbs talk to the Gibbs thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t have to be anything.. Buddy got band 2 on over a mil a year. If a high profile player is involved ( eg not Trengove, Mayne etc.) the afl just picks whatever they want. There are ‘guidelines’ as to what triggers what but all at the descrepency of the afl.. pick 19 helps their love child the GC and stops Ablett from retiring.

If that trade was done you can guarantee it would’ve been band 3 with the same deal.

Instead afl said it was based on AGE and COTRACT LENGTH as to why it wasn’t the usual stock standard band 3 that it should’ve been.

Out Impey 400k in Motlop 500k thanks for coming :D

Seriously, Buddy got Band 2? Go check the history books genius. He was band 1, just so happened Hawks won the premiership and thus it ended up being equivalent to band 2. They were given a pick after their 1st round pick, just like Melbourne were for Frawely. Just so happens Melbourne had pick 2, giving them pick 3.

facts are they are paying Motlop more than Betts

Facts are Port trolls bombarded this board when we picked up Betts claiming that we over paid

Facts are at this stage there is no comparison between Betts and Motlop, one player is a current AA and arguably the best small forward in the comp the other has battled form, fitness and consistency

Right at this point in time Motlop is not worth $500k, $550k or $600k what ever it may be and the challenge for him as a player is to play consistently that justifies his contract and not just for 2018 but for the entire duration of his contract.

At this point Port have paid overs and it's up to Motlop to change that

Seriously, Buddy got Band 2? Go check the history books genius. He was band 1, just so happened Hawks won the premiership and thus it ended up being equivalent to band 2. They were given a pick after their 1st round pick, just like Melbourne were for Frawely. Just so happens Melbourne had pick 2, giving them pick 3.
Not only was Buddy band 1, it was also before the revised compensation system

If this is correct (and I don't believe that it is), then this actually makes it worse for us.

Pick #53 is worth 233pts. If all we get is a 20% discount, then we can only cover bids worth 291pts or less - i.e. picks 49-52.

No, he's talking about carry over points next year. if someone bids at say 35, and we have to carry over points to next year, they won't come off our first rounder.

I think we need to sort out the competing conspiracies

Either Port are paying more than reported or the AFL have slipped Geelong pick 19 to free up Ablett.

Crows supporters come down on Port paying more. Port supporters or VFL haters coming down on the AFL conspiracy

I would hope the AFL site changes its figures on the Port offer for Motlop to come into line with the Band 2 compo

It doesn’t have to be anything.. Buddy got band 2 on over a mil a year. If a high profile player is involved ( eg not Trengove, Mayne etc.) the afl just picks whatever they want. There are ‘guidelines’ as to what triggers what but all at the descrepency of the afl.. pick 19 helps their love child the GC and stops Ablett from retiring.

If that trade was done you can guarantee it would’ve been band 3 with the same deal.

Instead afl said it was based on AGE and COTRACT LENGTH as to why it wasn’t the usual stock standard band 3 that it should’ve been.

Out Impey 400k in Motlop 500k thanks for coming :D

Your first mistake.
Buddy received a Band 1 comp pick which is after there first round pick, the problem was they finished first meaning Pick 19.

Your second mistake
"Based on Motlop player age and contract offer, Geelong will receive an end rd1 compensation selection, currently number 19."

I say again "CONTRACT OFFER"

What is so hard about this he is getting 600k plus.

Age, years and salary. Salary is a big component, not some afterthought.

Why are you so concerned? Worried you bought a dud?
exactly, and the years in this case are not out of the ordinary for a FA (would need to be 5-6 year + deal to factor that in to increase compo significantly or 1-2 years to reduce it potentially. 3/4 are pretty standard).

Also that age factor is more likely to be used to reduce compo than increase it (i.e. if hodge was FA there wouldn't be much compo even if similar wage to Motlop)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im with Lawrst on this one. Gut feel says coaches rated him.

Proof will be in the pudding but if i was a betting man I'd have cash on him playing rd 1.

I believe Walsh did. Played a couple of solid games under Walsh where he showed his class with quick-fire handballs as a link-up player. I was impressed with what I saw at that time.

If Motlop was not on $600K+ to deserve the end of 1st round compo, it would leak out & someone in AFL house would be in strife.

Personally I don't buy the conspiracy, but the AFL would be happy Port have helped bring Ablett home...

facts are they are paying Motlop more than Betts

Facts are Port trolls bombarded this board when we picked up Betts claiming that we over paid

Facts are at this stage there is no comparison between Betts and Motlop, one player is a current AA and arguably the best small forward in the comp the other has battled form, fitness and consistency

Right at this point in time Motlop is not worth $500k, $550k or $600k what ever it may be and the challenge for him as a player is to play consistently that justifies his contract and not just for 2018 but for the entire duration of his contract.

At this point Port have paid overs and it's up to Motlop to change that

Didn't see Eddie on Grand Final day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back