Ben Simmons - if he had grown up playing footy

Remove this Banner Ad

crocsta

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Ben Simmons is looking like a future superstar of NBA and currently favourite to win Rookie of the year.

2.08cm super athlete with great skills.

He grew up in Newcastle, played junior rugby, but looks like he lived in Melbourne around early teens before heading to institute sport and then USA.

Any thoughts on how good an AFL player he could have been? Anyone see him play any footy as a teenager?

American athletes have failed over here but it might have been different if he grew up playing footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if Pendles only played some mid level basketball and is a good footballer I'd expect someone good enough to join the top tier of basketball would be the GOAT.

Ben Simmons is looking like a future superstar of NBA and currently favourite to win Rookie of the year.

2.08cm super athlete with great skills.

He grew up in Newcastle, played junior rugby, but looks like he lived in Melbourne around early teens before heading to institute sport and then USA.

Any thoughts on how good an AFL player he could have been? Anyone see him play any footy as a teenager?

American athletes have failed over here but it might have been different if he grew up playing footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He would be athletic but would he have good skills? Who knows?

Also he earns about 50 times as much as he would in the AFL so I'm sure he's happy with his decision

I thought he was born and raised in Melbourne?

I can't find the article on my phone but I'm pretty sure him and Petracca were good mates and played junior footy and basketball together. From memory Petracca rated him as a tap ruckman and thought he would have made the AFL, but he wasn't the standout that Petracca was at footy. And vice versa, Petracca never quite made the national basketball squads with Ben.

Anyway difficult to say how he'd go, obviously a gifted athlete for his size but footy is a much more aerobic sport and with a completely different skill set. Ben Simmons was born to dominate at basketball imo.

Well if Pendles only played some mid level basketball and is a good footballer I'd expect someone good enough to join the top tier of basketball would be the GOAT.
Craig Moller couldn't get a game for Freo and plays NBL.
Dean Brogan played NBL and was a serviceable AFL player.
Hugh Greenwood was Perth Wildcats listed and is a handy AFL player.

All played basketball to a higher level than Pendles, none are nearly as good at football.

He would be athletic but would he have good skills? Who knows?

Also he earns about 50 times as much as he would in the AFL so I'm sure he's happy with his decision

Given his court vision and soft touch, id be surprised if he didn't have the skills had he started/continued with footy.
The guy is ruckman height, really quick and would probably be the most athletic player in the league.

All hypothetical though.

I don't watch BBall, How good is this guy? Potential best player in the world at some stage?

In all honesty, yes he could be.
Has some things to work on, but could definitely be the top player in the world if he continues on this trajectory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig Moller couldn't get a game for Freo and plays NBL.
Dean Brogan played NBL and was a serviceable AFL player.
Hugh Greenwood was Perth Wildcats listed and is a handy AFL player.

All played basketball to a higher level than Pendles, none are nearly as good at football.
Craig Moller not doing much in the NBL though

Could have beens?

Ponting - doubtful
P. Cash - flashy forward
Lleyton - Half forward, doubtful
Mills - gun
(Warne) - VFL
Gaze - third tall forward, but had the midas touch

Short list, doubtful on any i can think of.

You could picture Patty Mills being a gun in the AFL. Everyone else is a bit of a question mark but you'd back most of the Aussie NBA guys who are from Aussie Rules states. You wouldn't bet against the work ethic they probably have to have made the NBA.

View attachment 433087

Clearly played some footy and was decent, albeit, at a young age. Reckon he would of been pretty good. Moves very well for a player of his stature.

Ruckman is basically the spot where you put the unco/no good players like goalie in soccer. No wonder he was offended.

Simmons has the potential to be special in the NBA. Top 50 all time special? It's possible. But we're half a dozen games into a career. Sophmore slumps, further injury, team form and dynamic are all going to impact him at some stage.

Would he have been as good in the AFL? Athletically no doubt. Awareness and reaction times yes. Ball handling and skill? He at least played Junior levels.

I think he would have been drafted top 5 in the AFL. Could have been anything. From a serviceable Brogan to a dominant Buddy.

Financially he earnt more being drafted #1 in the NBA without playing a game. than he would have in his whole career playing AFL.

I don't watch BBall, How good is this guy? Potential best player in the world at some stage?
He'll end up as the second greatest Australian basketball player by the end of the season behind Jingles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back