Philippines new President - Rodrigo "The Punisher" Duterte

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia lending a hand to deliver tax revenues from mining. Currently only two mines in the Philippines pay tax...........both foreign owned

http://m.philstar.com/315469/show/f770ab47f936ec6553fddf53988005bb/

Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) director Wilfredo Moncano led the Philippine team together with assistant director Danilo Uykieng.

“We did a mine visit in Ballarat to observe Australian mining best practices and know their mining standards,” Moncano said in a text message to The STAR.

“We will adopt what is applicable to Philippine conditions,” he added.

Moncano has yet to expound on the guidelines and standards the Philippines may adopt and implement in the country.

Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu was supposed to join the trip but got sick last week.

He was represented by head executive assistant Mario Chan and DENR Undersecretary for Administration and Finance Ernesto Adobo Jr.

Mining sources earlier said Cimatu was invited by the Australian government, alongside 35 other environment ministers worldwide.

The supposed meeting coincided with the International Mining and Resources Conference, the largest mining conference and exhibition in Australia from Oct. 30 to Nov. 2.

The DENR, MGB and the country’s mining industry continue to look into global standards that may be adopted, including that of Australia and Canada.

Australia is the world’s largest refiner of bauxite and largest producer of gem and industrial diamonds, lead and tantalum, and other mineral sands.

It is also the largest exporter of black coal and the world’s largest resources of low-cost uranium.

Studies showed Australia has the potential to remain among the world’s leading mineral nations as new deposits have been discovered and developed as demand for mineral products grows.

Australians enjoy one of the highest living standards in the world as its minerals industry is one of the biggest contributors to Australia’s export trade.

Australia is the world’s largest refiner of bauxite and largest producer of gem and industrial diamonds, lead and tantalum, and other mineral sands.

It is also the largest exporter of black coal and the world’s largest resources of low-cost uranium.

Studies showed Australia has the potential to remain among the world’s leading mineral nations as new deposits have been discovered and developed as demand for mineral products grows.

Australians enjoy one of the highest living standards in the world as its minerals industry is one of the biggest contributors to Australia’s export trade.

Who said W/A & QLD weren't good for anything.....Alls we need now is for some mining giant to discover the world's biggest oil deposit reserve beneath our central inland deserts....Hahzzzzzar!

Who said W/A & QLD weren't good for anything.....Alls we need now is for some mining giant to discover the world's biggest oil deposit reserve beneath our central inland deserts....Hahzzzzzar!

or discover a way to unlock the massive untapped, completely renewable and completely clean hydrogen deposits in the Philippines..............no wonder China is building Navy bases to shunt the Filipino rights

or discover a way to unlock the massive untapped, completely renewable and completely clean hydrogen deposits in the Philippines..............no wonder China is building Navy bases to shunt the Filipino rights

You don't think it's more likely that Duterte has gifted them those rights, as a quid-pro-quo gesture, in protecting him against the West....Much as his latest 'arms cache delivery' has derived from those self-same shores....There can't be much doubt left that he has defected over to the Russian/China alliance....And who can blame him really.

You don't think it's more likely that Duterte has gifted them those rights, as a quid-pro-quo gesture, in protecting him against the West....Much as his latest 'arms cache delivery' has derived from those self-same shores....There can't be much doubt left that he has defected over to the Russian/China alliance....And who can blame him really.

He's too clever to give in to China ala many nations in Africa. He's also too clever for the feudal families aligned to the US.

I think he prefers smaller nations that are no threat to his nations sovereignty

He's too clever to give in to China ala many nations in Africa. He's also too clever for the feudal families aligned to the US.

I think he prefers smaller nations that are no threat to his nations sovereignty

So he's still playing the super-powers off against one-another then, while utilizing the strategic geo-political importance of the Philippines to both.....Some balancing act that.

I believe both Trump & Turdbull are due there any day now....Should make for some interesting viewing that....Duterte is smarter than both these idiots combined.

So he's still playing the super-powers off against one-another then, while utilizing the strategic geo-political importance of the Philippines to both.....Some balancing act that.

I believe both Trump & Turdbull are due there any day now....Should make for some interesting viewing that....Duterte is smarter than both these idiots combined.

Duterte is very smart. The only worry is he’s exhausted.

Hopefully he can last the distance and change the nation forever.....positively.

Duterte is very smart. The only worry is he’s exhausted.

Hopefully he can last the distance and change the nation forever.....positively.

Finding a successor with his kind of political nous & savvy, combined with all that experience, will be nigh on impossible.

The only real surprise, is how the C.I.A still haven't knocked him off as yet....You'd reckon there'd of been quite a few thwarted attempts on that score already.

Finding a successor with his kind of political nous & savvy, combined with all that experience, will be nigh on impossible.

The only real surprise, is how the C.I.A still haven't knocked him off as yet....You'd reckon there'd of been quite a few thwarted attempts on that score already.

I hear what your saying based on his public comments like "son of a whore" but behind closed door he is very respectful and articulate. Still firm but I don't see the US being anti-duterte. They will have to pull their finger out and help the Philippines, if they are to keep a friend.

With the Philippines being more strategic than Singapore, SK and Japan.....the Philippines could see a massive renaissance over the next 60 years. English speaking, educated workforce, western legal framework, one of the world's largest renewable energy sources, 25% of the world's gold and loads of copper.

I hear what your saying based on his public comments like "son of a whore" but behind closed door he is very respectful and articulate. Still firm but I don't see the US being anti-duterte. They will have to pull their finger out and help the Philippines, if they are to keep a friend.

With the Philippines being more strategic than Singapore, SK and Japan.....the Philippines could see a massive renaissance over the next 60 years. English speaking, educated workforce, western legal framework, one of the world's largest renewable energy sources, 25% of the world's gold and loads of copper.
The US can't complain if the Philippines do plot their own path in the independent block of nations. The US took the place over. invaded in 1898. They moved in at the end of WW2. They then left the place. In all that time & since they have done SFA for the place. So many live in poverty. Yes it comes across as a corrupt feudal state. Thats so sad.
Duarte has made a statement about their independent position. Fk the US unless they show some respect & stop supporting the corrupt families who have sucked the place dry for generations. Chinese business is in the place. Thats good if Duarte can control them.
I know the drugs policy is awful. But the place needed a big hit to wake up. I hope thats it. Or the start to change & modernisation.

The US can't complain if the Philippines do plot their own path in the independent block of nations. The US took the place over. invaded in 1898. They moved in at the end of WW2. They then left the place. In all that time & since they have done SFA for the place. So many live in poverty. Yes it comes across as a corrupt feudal state. Thats so sad.
Duarte has made a statement about their independent position. Fk the US unless they show some respect & stop supporting the corrupt families who have sucked the place dry for generations. Chinese business is in the place. Thats good if Duarte can control them.
I know the drugs policy is awful. But the place needed a big hit to wake up. I hope thats it. Or the start to change & modernisation.
I'm pretty sure that Duterte is doing good things for the country. However, how many people has he had killed for his own benefit aside from the war against drugs? On the outside and I believe even he thinks he's doing what is best for the country. I am still of the belief that he is setting himself up as a long term dictator for the benefit of his truly and his family. Time will tell.

I'm pretty sure that Duterte is doing good things for the country. However, how many people has he had killed for his own benefit aside from the war against drugs? On the outside and I believe even he thinks he's doing what is best for the country. I am still of the belief that he is setting himself up as a long term dictator for the benefit of his truly and his family. Time will tell.

I dont see him as one of the 'entitled family' set. He has thumbed his nose at the old alliances. After all they've done his country no real good. So why not play the big boys off against one & other. He has supported his military as much as possible, so he has ensured their support.

Sure his drug policy is cruel & terrible. But so is the drug scourge in that country. He's certainly put the cat among the pigeons in that regard. All power to his right arm as far as I'm concerned. Unless something else shows up, he is the right man for the big job of helping the majority of his suffering people.

Agree

Just responding to snippets, the drug trade, along with lateritic mining, are the cash cows of the feudal families. That’s why both have been targeted, to starve them of funds.

The other is the US is held in the same high regard by the people as religion. They are nuts for it and being a democracy, Duterte will need to juggle this issue carefully.

The fact the US invaded though is not an issue due to history. Islam invaded and was spread in the south by the concept of convert or rape and slaughter. The Spanish were cruel and the japs the cruelest. So the US is seen by the people as a kind uncle and revered.

It’s hard to explain but the people of the Philippines are like slaves. Slaves to bureaucracy created by feudal families and slaves to religion that keep them down trodden. the challenge for the people is to mature, gain confidence in themselves and believe in their own ability.

Jumping into the arms of china or Russia would not be a wise move or an improvement. Duterte wants to to create a commonwealth framework like Australia with strong states. Like Australia with Britain and the US, he might seek relationships with nations for support but not control. Again Australia might be the right fit given our stability and influence but no threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turns out Australia just put its hand up and admitted they accidentally funded the terrorist who held marawi to siege.

Australia gave the terrorists a few million for schools etc.

I don’t think it was anything but a mistake but what a mistake.

Turns out Australia just put its hand up and admitted they accidentally funded the terrorist who held marawi to siege.

Australia gave the terrorists a few million for schools etc.

I don’t think it was anything but a mistake but what a mistake.

ASIO follwing C.I.A tried & true procedure more like it.....That is precisely what the C.I.A does throughout Eurasia....Sponsor jihadist schools in order to fund an entire new generation of saps to do their dirty work for them.

ASIO follwing C.I.A tried & true procedure more like it.....That is precisely what the C.I.A does throughout Eurasia....Sponsor jihadist schools in order to fund an entire new generation of saps to do their dirty work for them.

I seen two things the Australian government got involved, in the Philippines, with and the result is circa 1,000 dead.

I’m not for or against the activities as I don’t know enough about the details.

What I do know is many are quick to point their finger at Duterte but not so quick to point the finger at ourselves as individual Australians.

I seen two things the Australian government got involved, in the Philippines, with and the result is circa 1,000 dead.

I’m not for or against the activities as I don’t know enough about the details.

What I do know is many are quick to point their finger at Duterte but not so quick to point the finger at ourselves as individual Australians.

When it comes to foreign policy, we do what they Yanks tell us to, for the most part.....Including a $20million contribution to the Clinton foundation, not to mention the $30 million donated to Murdoch's fox network.....Oh what a tangled web we weave.

Sure his drug policy is cruel & terrible. But so is the drug scourge in that country.

It's also now the AIDS capital of the world with 30 new cases diagnosed every day. I wonder if these statistics have factored into his ghastly war on drugs.

The other is the US is held in the same high regard by the people as religion. They are nuts for it and being a democracy, Duterte will need to juggle this issue carefully.

Agree, there's a lot of bias towards Filipino's who are considered to be on the bottom rung of Asian international hierachy. The people will lean to the west first.

It's also now the AIDS capital of the world with 30 new cases diagnosed every day. I wonder if these statistics have factored into his ghastly war on drugs.

You could lay a lot of that at the feet of the Catholic Church & their ignorant resistance to & teaching about, contraception.

When it comes to dogma, the Catholic church would much prefer to see misery over commonsense anytime.

You could lay a lot of that at the feet of the Catholic Church & their ignorant resistance to & teaching about, contraception.

When it comes to dogma, the Catholic church would much prefer to see misery over commonsense anytime.

90% of the nations issues would disappear if it got rid of the shackles of religion.

I find it interesting that every Filipino that I know really respects what Duterte is trying to achieve and stresses how necessary this all is, however, every Australian here seems to know better than them.

I know a lot of Filipinos and there are definitely a lot of opponents among them as well. The recent comments in Vietnam about how he murdered someone for looking at him wrong didn't go over too well with some.

I find it interesting that every Filipino that I know really respects what Duterte is trying to achieve and stresses how necessary this all is, however, every Australian here seems to know better than them.
And I know Australians who really respected what Tony Abbot did...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back