UK Rishi Sunak new British PM

Remove this Banner Ad

And the alternative is Faragism.

What a sad political option for a country that came so close to realising something better than these doldrums.

It was similar to us Aussies choosing Scott 'I'll just go on holidays while Australia burns coz I don't hold a hose' Morrison over Bill Shorten. Although is what we eventually got in Albo better than Starmer? Jury's still out on that one.

And the alternative is Faragism.

What a sad political option for a country that came so close to realising something better than these doldrums.

There is a point to be made here about easy access to skilled immigration potentially encouraging companies to not invest in upskilling their workers. Of course, Starmer has to present this in the ugliest way possible.

The Post office f up is like robo debt

All these postoffice and sub post owners were charged with stealing from post office . A faulty computer system . People getting exonerated and compensation
Goes back years

UK public calling for blood. Not so much at the time even though the scandal was well known

Amazing what a TV drama can do. This one must be up there with ‘braveheart’ in changing public attitude

Labours to lose now. Question is will they run foe 13-14 years like the last two govts?

I think history will be looking better for the Blair-brown govt than the 2 David’s/Cameron/boris/truss/Sunak one did I miss anyone?

If the Tories keep on putting up the same candidates that they have been they could easily look at two terms out of office. Have a feeling a lot of Tory mp' s will have seen the writing on the wall and will not seek re election this time. Depends how they react after that if they lurch further to the right (supposedly there is a fair amount of support to have Farage readmitted to the Conservative party 😯) then it could be a terminal decline. If they get back to being right of centre and old school conservative values rather than dabbling in right wing American style hate politics then they could stay relevant.

wasn't sure where to post this....

On Last week tonight they did a bit on a English tv journalist giving his undying love for Margret Thatcher.

I was a little bit young when she was PM to understand what times were like then.

What was the deal ? and why was she generally hatred by most of the English population ?

I CBF reading articles on wiki..

wasn't sure where to post this....

On Last week tonight they did a bit on a English tv journalist giving his undying love for Margret Thatcher.

I was a little bit young when she was PM to understand what times were like then.

What was the deal ? and why was she generally hatred by most of the English population ?

I CBF reading articles on wiki..
UK was coming out of one of the worst decades for the economy some of it from external pressures (the oil shock) rampant inflation and a lot of strikes ( often trying to get large pay rises to keep up with inflation) a lot of British industry was still government owned.
Thatcher won the election in 79 was very much of the pull your own bootstraps up and was very much for the individual not society. Was anti union and intent on smashing union power and selling off government assets.
Towards the end of her first term she had her big break when polls were showing her as losing the next election and the Falklands war happened. Mainly because her government had pulled a naval ship from patrolling the area which contributed to the Argentinians thinking the UK wouldn't defend them. The UK forces managed to retake the islands and Thatcher made some pithy statements which roused the union jack brigade and got her the moniker of the Iron Lady. It raised her in the polls and onto a second term.
She dismantled the mining Industry across the UK and steel industries amongst others She was the poster girl of neoliberal policies very much aligned with Reagan. In her second term she deregulated the financial system which temporarily boosted the economy.
The main reason she was hated was her complete indifference to people who were struggling because of her policies or just the general economic malaise. She had no sense of compassion and being convinced that her free market policies were the solution and anyone who could not thrive under it was a slacker. She sold off public housing to public housing tennant's at below value and there was never any investment from these funds into building more public housing. Mining towns were crippled economically after the pits closed but the Thatcher doctrine was that the government would not intervene as the market would sort everything out. There was serious urban decay which ended up in riots across the country.
And there was persistent and shockingly high unemployment during her time in power. When I came out of school in 82 there was 3 million plus unemployed , having one of her ministers telling the unemployed to get on their bike and find a job was typical of the time (there was a huge deficit in the number of jobs available against the unemployed of course)
She never showed any sense of regret or retrospection about any of her policies and often doubled down on them. Finally her own party got sick of her pushing for the poll tax and gave her the boot.
When I moved to NZ in the mid 80's if she came on tv I would walk out the room which was of great amusement to my flatmates. She made my blood boil.
To summarise she was cold , calculating and without any sense of compassion. As a politician I can grit my teeth and say she was effective at implementing her policies and keeping the Conservative party on a short lead. If she had listened to her colleagues and backed away from the poll tax there is a fair chance she could have won another election and gone up against Blair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UK was coming out of one of the worst decades for the economy some of it from external pressures (the oil shock) rampant inflation and a lot of strikes ( often trying to get large pay rises to keep up with inflation) a lot of British industry was still government owned.
Thatcher won the election in 79 was very much of the pull your own bootstraps up and was very much for the individual not society. Was anti union and intent on smashing union power and selling off government assets.
Towards the end of her first term she had her big break when polls were showing her as losing the next election and the Falklands war happened. Mainly because her government had pulled a naval ship from patrolling the area which contributed to the Argentinians thinking the UK wouldn't defend them. The UK forces managed to retake the islands and Thatcher made some pithy statements which roused the union jack brigade and got her the moniker of the Iron Lady. It raised her in the polls and onto a second term.
She dismantled the mining Industry across the UK and steel industries amongst others She was the poster girl of neoliberal policies very much aligned with Reagan. In her second term she deregulated the financial system which temporarily boosted the economy.
The main reason she was hated was her complete indifference to people who were struggling because of her policies or just the general economic malaise. She had no sense of compassion and being convinced that her free market policies were the solution and anyone who could not thrive under it was a slacker. She sold off public housing to public housing tennant's at below value and there was never any investment from these funds into building more public housing. Mining towns were crippled economically after the pits closed but the Thatcher doctrine was that the government would not intervene as the market would sort everything out. There was serious urban decay which ended up in riots across the country.
And there was persistent and shockingly high unemployment during her time in power. When I came out of school in 82 there was 3 million plus unemployed , having one of her ministers telling the unemployed to get on their bike and find a job was typical of the time (there was a huge deficit in the number of jobs available against the unemployed of course)
She never showed any sense of regret or retrospection about any of her policies and often doubled down on them. Finally her own party got sick of her pushing for the poll tax and gave her the boot.
When I moved to NZ in the mid 80's if she came on tv I would walk out the room which was of great amusement to my flatmates. She made my blood boil.
To summarise she was cold , calculating and without any sense of compassion. As a politician I can grit my teeth and say she was effective at implementing her policies and keeping the Conservative party on a short lead. If she had listened to her colleagues and backed away from the poll tax there is a fair chance she could have won another election and gone up against Blair.
Cheers

Tories had a built in gerrymander due to once safe labor seats in Scotland going to the SNP

For them to lose badly would be a historical landslide

The richest Prime Minister the United Kingdom has ever had is trying to criminalise homelessness.
I suppose stuffing people into overcrowded jails hoping they well frankly kill each other takes the problem off the streets (in a incredibly cold unempathetic way)

The richest Prime Minister the United Kingdom has ever had is trying to criminalise homelessness.

"So Sir, can I have your address to send you the fine?"

A4m2wqWmn2IYm8zdiJhy8fL4yOM=.gif

I am looking forward to seeing the Tories destroyed at the next election, and I wish Sunak would call it already. He is dragging this out, despite public demand. It's probably because he knows he will preside over one of the worst elections the Tories have ever had, but that's going to happen, regardless of when he calls it for, so he might as well get it over with.

I have my concerns about Labour. I don't see them as being too much different to the Tories. They should be arguing to nationalise energy and water companies, which are currently ripping off consumers. It's the same for train operators. They should be ensuring there's no chance the NHS gets sold off. At the mo, I fear they aim to be milder versions of the Tories, and little else.

I am looking forward to seeing the Tories destroyed at the next election, and I wish Sunak would call it already. He is dragging this out, despite public demand. It's probably because he knows he will preside over one of the worst elections the Tories have ever had, but that's going to happen, regardless of when he calls it for, so he might as well get it over with.

I have my concerns about Labour. I don't see them as being too much different to the Tories. They should be arguing to nationalise energy and water companies, which are currently ripping off consumers. It's the same for train operators. They should be ensuring there's no chance the NHS gets sold off. At the mo, I fear they aim to be milder versions of the Tories, and little else.
Yeh Corbyn tried that, what the establishment did to him was a real job. Starmer is a tory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back