UK Liz Truss - Shortest serving UK PM in history

Remove this Banner Ad

Just call a General Election Britain and put an end to this insanity.
Take heart. Trump and ScoMo are history now.
That's what should happen, I agree, because it's clearly in the best interests of the country.

It won't of course, because all that matters to politicians is power - either getting into or staying in.

Sunak and his wife have a net worth of £730 million .
Him failing to use a credit card after filling up someone else's car at the petrol station cracks me up every time

Him failing to use a credit card after filling up someone else's car at the petrol station cracks me up every time
A man of the people lol

558qip8u17v91.jpg

kek
Not only the Daily Mail but Fux News

Murdoch of course.
Nah, the British Dail Mail is actually not a Murdoch paper.

It was co-founded by Viscount Rothermere, and is currently owned by his great-grandson.

Murdoch owns several truly noxious British newspapers, but the DM is not one of them.

The particular dynamics and problems within the British media are rather different than those in the Australian media.

Last edited:
She had no opinions that were known, her legacy is a legacy of nothingness.
That's somewhat valid but some have argued it was this nothingness or inaction was what was needed

Rishi and Boris have supposedly met.

Hopefully a deal is done before Monday. I think Rishi should offer Boris Foreign Secretary to keep him in the limelight and happy. He is extremely popular in Ukraine so might be able to do some good there.

Lead letter in the SMH this morning. All good common sense.

Liz Truss’ problems started when she wanted to call herself more conservative than Margaret Thatcher (“Britain urgently needs fresh and competent leader”, October 22).

Bringing Thatcher’s name to party members won her leadership but didn’t translate into winning public confidence. The small government mantra went out of vogue when people realised effective government was required regardless of size. The importance of governments increased substantially during two recent disasters, the global financial crisis and the COVID pandemic, as they were needed to take countries through the crisis successfully.

People realise that private companies are there to make profits and are not necessarily there when crises hit. People have become realistic in their expectations of what governments can do and do not believe in fairy tales.

As in Australia, the Conservatives in the UK always projected themselves to be better economic managers than their Labour opposition. Truss’ economic plan of borrowing money and giving tax cuts to the rich – as though reducing taxes to companies that are good at avoiding taxes would pour billions of dollars into the coffers the next day – was never going to work.

Truss was out of her depth and exposed by the markets because markets are smart enough to understand what clicks and what doesn’t.

Truss doesn’t deserve excuses on her behalf; she brought it on herself.
Mukul Desai, Hunters Hill

It was easy to be Thatcher because there was actual government services to cut when she came to power. Since then we've seen forty years of small government mantra and ten years of "austerity" meaning that the Brits have ended up with a bare bones civil service that's clinging on for survival and any public assets worth anything has been sold off, ideology won't allow them to raise taxes so they're pretty much all out of ideas. They need to bury the memory of that witch because her economic policies are obsolete these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

General question. So the Tories have been in power for even longer than the Coalition were here.

I don't follow UK politics very closely. Do they have anything they can point to as achievements in the last twelve years, or have they been as bad as their brain-dead, entitled, political cousins were here?

General question. So the Tories have been in power for even longer than the Coalition were here.

I don't follow UK politics very closely. Do they have anything they can point to as achievements in the last twelve years, or have they been as bad as their brain-dead, entitled, political cousins were here?
Well they " got bwexit dunn " and errr......ummmmm...

Financial support to those having to isolate due to covid (I think they were the first to do a job keeper type payment and I haven’t heard rort stories - compared to Harvey Norman here - but could be my ignorance)

Brexit - drrrrrr

It has to be said - Trump/Boris/Bolsonaro/ThatFellaDownUnda has to go down as the most embarrassing and pitiful period in the entire history of democracy.

It has to be said - Trump/Boris/Bolsonaro/ThatFellaDownUnda has to go down as the most embarrassing and pitiful period in the entire history of democracy.
Yep. They did a heap of damage, which will take decades to remedy, if ever.

The most positive take I can find for the whole thing was that voters have finally had the sense to give Trump and Morrison the arse, and would absolutely do the same to the Tories if an election were held tomorrow.

So there is some restoration of trust in our fellow humans, though the question of WTF they were thinking in the first place will always remain.

Yep. They did a heap of damage, which will take decades to remedy, if ever.

The most positive take I can find for the whole thing was that voters have finally had the sense to give Trump and Morrison the arse, and would absolutely do the same to the Tories if an election were held tomorrow.

So there is some restoration of trust in our fellow humans, though the question of WTF they were thinking in the first place will always remain.
unfortunately the USA appears so broken (partisan distrust, alternative histories and irreconcilable beliefs) that it looks like they will go back to the republicans

unfortunately the USA appears so broken (partisan distrust, alternative histories and irreconcilable beliefs) that it looks like they will go back to the republicans
Michael Moore disagrees. He’s been right before, and I hope he’s right this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back