Rumour Dees pull out of tough training camp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is more to it than that. Last year we had two fairly major injuries with Christian Salem getting concussed from a brick to the head and Dom Tyson dislocating his knee. I definitely agree with the decision, let them train for footy instead of whatever army course they had them doing.

There is more to it than that. Last year we had two fairly major injuries with Christian Salem getting concussed from a brick to the head and Dom Tyson dislocating his knee. I definitely agree with the decision, let them train for footy instead of whatever army course they had them doing.
Brick to the head? How tf....

I don't blame them.

There's a point where training becomes so intense it's no longer practical and just risks getting players injured.

At last year's camp Salem got concussion, Tyson injured his knee and players were being deprived of sleep.

As for the "it makes you mentally tough and resilient" well that clearly didn't hold up for us in R23 this year.

Yes as a coach you want your players to be tough but there is a danger that by pushing them too far the players feel like they are just pieces of meat and isolating people. Everyone is human.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit strange they went straight to the AFLPA and not the club hierarchy? Unless they did and the club told the players to suck it up.

Strange and pretty unsettling if that's the case...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-14/players-worries-prompt-dees-to-cancel-camp

However, it is understood the playing group raised their concerns about the camp in the past week.

The players were still worried about the risk of injury and the associated loss of conditioning following what would have been an intense couple of days in the lead-up to their Christmas break.

After listening to the players' apprehension, coach Simon Goodwin and the club's football department decided to do away with the camp and modified the program as a result.

Salem's injury goes straight to the non football related injury Hall of Fame...his bust will be enshrined next to NSW Rugby League State of Origin forward Robbie Kearns who broke his collarbone and missed the entire Origin series after falling from a horse during a team bonding exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back