Hawthorn - 20 flags by 2050

Who's closer to a flag, Geelong or Hawthorn?

• Hawthorn

Votes: 141 56.4%
  • Geelong

Votes: 109 43.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett a damn good chance.
A light duties 2017 and a shot to finish top 4 instead of bottom 4
Selwood and Dangerfield both poll so strongly though. I'd be surprised if he'd be able to get enough of the 3 vote games with those two there.

Selwood and Dangerfield both poll so strongly though. I'd be surprised if he'd be able to get enough of the 3 vote games with those two there.
we get to find out who the real favorite is :)

IMO Hawthorn achieving 20 flags by 2050 is very unlikely. This whole 13 flags in the last 50 years, or whatever it is, is a nonsense when trying to predict the next 33 years.

The majority of those flags where when the teams with the best zones, in particular country zones, won everything. In the last 23 years of the VFL, just 5 teams won the flag - Hawks & Blues x 7 each; Richmond x 5 and North & Essendon x 2 each.

Since the draft has taken over as the major influence on success, so ~25 years, Hawthorn has had one period of success. That's a better indicator of what might come, especially in a now 18 team competition.

Between now and 2050 there's time for nearly 2 flags each, but it wouldn't surprise to Hawthorn do better than that. Maybe 3 or 4. But 7? Na.

Still, better to aim high.

IMO Hawthorn achieving 20 flags by 2050 is very unlikely. This whole 13 flags in the last 50 years, or whatever it is, is a nonsense when trying to predict the next 33 years.

The majority of those flags where when the teams with the best zones, in particular country zones, won everything. In the last 23 years of the VFL, just 5 teams won the flag - Hawks & Blues x 7 each; Richmond x 5 and North & Essendon x 2 each.

Since the draft has taken over as the major influence on success, so ~25 years, Hawthorn has had one period of success. That's a better indicator of what might come, especially in a now 18 team competition.

Between now and 2050 there's time for nearly 2 flags each, but it wouldn't surprise to Hawthorn do better than that. Maybe 3 or 4. But 7? Na.

Still, better to aim high.

So that’s 4 flags over a 25 year period (since 1993) or 5 over a 27 year period (since 1991)

5 or 6 flags instead of 7 is much for muchness

So that’s 4 flags over a 25 year period (since 1993) or 5 over a 27 year period (since 1991)

5 or 6 flags instead of 7 is much for muchness
Yeah the point was more zone influence vs draft influence. The 91 flag was the former.

Not sure that I agree either that there's not much difference between 5 flags and 7 flags in a set time period.

If the Hawks win 20 of the next 32 flags the league will be a complete joke.
I mean I'd like that but Kennett was saying win another 7 flags to get the club total to 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I note Hawthorn threads dominating bigfooty off season with this one and the accident of history thread.

Perhaps we shoot for a third - the old favourite that guarantees foam at the mouth responses- Are the Hawks a big 4 club
Che pasa?

I note Hawthorn threads dominating bigfooty off season with this one and the accident of history thread.

Perhaps we shoot for a third - the old favourite that guarantees foam at the mouth responses- Are the Hawks a big 4 club
There’s a feeling that the ‘big 4’ is based purely on crowds. If that’s the definition, then absolutely not.

I feel it should be based on an overall picture, a combination of crowds, membership, on field success and off-field financial strength. If that’s the case, we’re still not ‘big 4’. We are ‘big 1’.

There’s a feeling that the ‘big 4’ is based purely on crowds. If that’s the definition, then absolutely not.

I feel it should be based on an overall picture, a combination of crowds, membership, on field success and off-field financial strength. If that’s the case, we’re still not ‘big 4’. We are ‘big 1’.
Needs some unbiased and unemotional Tiger fan input

Back