Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

that is the most underwhelming set of features I’ve ever seen for a sporting complex.

“multi purpose courts”? Do you mean “large areas with lines painted on them?
“Sports changerooms” ? What are the hell are they using now? A tin shed with hay bails? It’s like saying running water is a big deal.

Oh and there’s going to be a cafe. Hold the phone, we’ve got a new challenger for the title here!
POOL PARTY AT ARDO STREET

I'll bring the Large Inflatable pink Flamingo so i can lay in it and chill.

I remember reading an article a few years back about the sponsorship which indicated that Tasmanian tourism got something like $3 back for every dollar that they'd put into the HFC sponsorship, due to the amount of people visiting the state who made a 2-3 day trip out of it.

Found these quotes...
"A consultancy commissioned by Tourism Tasmania in the early years of the deal put the direct economic benefit of the sponsorship at $3.9 million, in addition to media exposure worth $1.9 million."

"The city’s mayor claimed Hawthorn provided economic stimulus of $50 million each year to Launceston."

"A 33-year veteran on Council and long-standing chairman of Aurora Stadium has put the marketing value of the sponsorship alone at $80 million."

"Current and former Premiers have talked of ‘direct economic benefits’ of $15 million each year.
"

While numbers like this are being thrown about by Mayors, Premiers and council's, Hawthorn ain't going anywhere.

I remember reading an article a few years back about the sponsorship which indicated that Tasmanian tourism got something like $3 back for every dollar that they'd put into the HFC sponsorship, due to the amount of people visiting the state who made a 2-3 day trip out of it.

Found these quotes...
"A consultancy commissioned by Tourism Tasmania in the early years of the deal put the direct economic benefit of the sponsorship at $3.9 million, in addition to media exposure worth $1.9 million."

"The city’s mayor claimed Hawthorn provided economic stimulus of $50 million each year to Launceston."

"A 33-year veteran on Council and long-standing chairman of Aurora Stadium has put the marketing value of the sponsorship alone at $80 million."

"Current and former Premiers have talked of ‘direct economic benefits’ of $15 million each year.
"

While numbers like this are being thrown about by Mayors, Premiers and council's, Hawthorn ain't going anywhere.
I don't doubt the Tassie economy is better off for having AFL.

The issue is that they would be even better off with their own team.

If Tassie had their own team, I have no doubt that would unite all their cities. Do they have any issues following their state cricket sides? No they don't!

Tassie would be more viable than the 10th or weakest Victorian side or the Gold Coast. The AFL want 2 sides in Queensland, so should be a Melbourne team long term in Tassie Imo.
The state cricket sides aren't competing with already set supporters. The majority of them will not change teams.

Is the North v south rivalry that you hear re Tas overstated?

It definitely exists Gavin Excell, believe it is over stated and having our own team with games split between the North and South would unify the state.

It is not only pollies getting behind it, there are economists (Saul Eslake) and business men with nouse such as Bob Cheek and others.

the amount of Hawk supporters on here bagging Tasmania is cringeworthy

I don't doubt the Tassie economy is better off for having AFL.

The issue is that they would be even better off with their own team.
Yeah, that ain't happening though.

The state cricket sides aren't competing with already set supporters. The majority of them will not change teams.

What is this based on? How would you know that supporters would not support their own state./???

Believe there would be a transition including memberships for both teams and interstate Tasmanians

Jeff Kennett will whine and moan but the AFL will make sure North assume Hawthorn's Launceston contract.

The AFL won't have any say in the matter.

You seem to be completely ignorant of the realities of this situation.

Hawthorn and North have independent business arrangements in Tasmania.

Wasn't a problem for other footy expansion states WA & SA to embrace their new AFL team, so history doesn't support your hypothesis!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that ain't happening though.
Imo it will happen eventually.

A Tassie team is more viable than a 10th Victorian team...

It's interesting to look at each clubs AFL distributions over the last decade & the significant variation!

I'm Tasmanian -want our money spent else where

Yeah?

Are you a controlling shareholder of TT lines, because that's who pays North to play in Tasmania?

Best you learn about your backyard politics first.

that is the most underwhelming set of features I’ve ever seen for a sporting complex.

“multi purpose courts”? Do you mean “large areas with lines painted on them?
“Sports changerooms” ? What are the hell are they using now? A tin shed with hay bails? It’s like saying running water is a big deal.

Oh and there’s going to be a cafe. Hold the phone, we’ve got a new challenger for the title here!
Phoar, Sounds exactly like the local suburb rec center 400m down the road.

The change rooms is the most impressive thing, Your telling me the North Players wont have to use the Garden hose and change behind the shed anymore? The future is now!
What time does your comedy duo show start gents and should I try the buffet?

The building of multiple new courts costs money and is beneficial to the award winning huddle program, the building of new change rooms for visiting opposition for JLT and the VFL as there are only north home change rooms and there hasn’t been a permanent cafe as we’ve haven’t hosted a heap of games at Arden st for a while.

1D1A3A60-26A0-4F93-861F-314C3E95F232.jpeg

What time does your comedy duo show start gents and should I try the buffet?

The building of multiple new courts costs money and is beneficial to the award winning huddle program, the building of new change rooms for visiting opposition for JLT and the VFL as there are only north home change rooms and there hasn’t been a permanent cafe as we’ve haven’t hosted a heap of games at Arden st for a while.

View attachment 450910

The difference between existing and proposed adds over 100% more land under NMFC control.

Thanks for the correction.

It appears your state does want North Melbourne and Victorian tourists in Tasmania.

We're locked in until 2022, so start lobbying. Good luck.

Exactly, we are locked in until the end of 2021. Originally it was negotiated for North to move here now it just us giving you our players such as Taryn Thomas http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-01-18/tassie-talents-head-north

Do not be righteous when you are doing very well out playing here

Now is the time for a team to be established and yes (read todays Mercury) it will be good for tourists from other states to come here and watch their team play a Tasmanian team, always welcome

No malice from me but you were lecturing me on my own state from a place of ignorance

Imo it will happen eventually.

A Tassie team is more viable than a 10th Victorian team...

It's interesting to look at each clubs AFL distributions over the last decade & the significant variation!

But is uprooting a Melburnian team, which will mean a loss of supporters (some will follow other teams, but many will be loss) and placing it in Tasmania much of a net win to the AFL? Remember, the equation isn't "should the AFL expand to Melbourne or Tasmania".

My guess is it isn't. Tasmania is already a footy mad state and losing North would mean losing supporters from Melbourne at a time when Melbourne is booming and Tasmania isn't. And it's not just whether it is a net gain or loss, but also the opportunities North are passing up whilst staying in Melbourne, especially given their capacity to play smaller games in regional Victoria (not to mention Tasmania itself).

If Tasmania wants to play hardball, North will just shift to Ballarat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back